GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

After over a month - My only issue with my R

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Mfr's need to sell the car equipped with tires that match their advertised performance (stopping distance, handling, etc)... All season tires are compromised. They will always under perform compared to a summer/winter tire in the respective seasons, and they'd never run performance testing for a car in this segment on such a tire. Could they make the tires an option? Possibly, but that's a lot of coordination for a low-volume niche car. Best to leave that to the dealers to figure out, or the owners to sort.

I bought this car to use all of the performance it can give me, that means 6 months of the year I use summer tires, 6 months of the year I use winter tires. It cost me a whopping 1500 bucks to have an extra set of wheels with winter performance tires. That's less than 5% of the value of the car, and ultimately means that I am wearing my tires half as fast, so it's really not that big of a deal. Yes, it's money up front, but means that I can actually use the performance that the car provides. Tires are almost always the weakest link, why pick the most compromised tire out there on a performance oriented car?

They only time I have ever had extra sets of wheels was when I used to track my car and when I owned multiple cars. The golf R is nice so was my WRX but they are hardly on par with a performance auto you keep to drive on “track day” or just a few days a year. Seriously... selling these cars with summer tires is silly. I fully expect that will never end though since the vocal minority wins out on this topic.

If I wanted to spend the time and money to pamper a car I would have just bought a low end civic for daily and a mustang gt fastback 5.0. Instead I wanted one car, daily drivers that was compact, practical, and decent.

Hey maybe that’s what I will do next time lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
They only time I have ever had extra sets of wheels was when I used to track my car and when I owned multiple cars. The golf R is nice so was my WRX but they are hardly on par with a performance auto you keep to drive on “track day” or just a few days a year. Seriously... selling these cars with summer tires is silly. I fully expect that will never end though since the vocal minority wins out on this topic.

If I wanted to spend the time and money to pamper a car I would have just bought a low end civic for daily and a mustang gt fastback 5.0. Instead I wanted one car, daily drivers that was compact, practical, and decent.

Hey maybe that’s what I will do next time lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has nothing to do with the "vocal minority", it has to do with the advertised performance. Have you seen the recent track times for the GLI, where the GLI actually beat the Golf R around the track because it got stickier tires than the R? As long as manufacturers are chasing performance numbers and people buy cars based on those performance numbers, they'll continue to get the best performing tires. If you want to buy a car based on the tires it comes with, I think you could have bought a Golf TSI or a Subaru Impreza, and both of them likely come with all season tires...

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
It’s funny, the GTI guys complain about the all season tires and promptly upgraded to dedicated summers and winters.

Hell, I’m in charlotte and haven’t seen snow in like 5 years and I ponder running summers and all seasons.

JWTS

Ready to race!
It has nothing to do with the "vocal minority", it has to do with the advertised performance. Have you seen the recent track times for the GLI, where the GLI actually beat the Golf R around the track because it got stickier tires than the R? As long as manufacturers are chasing performance numbers and people buy cars based on those performance numbers, they'll continue to get the best performing tires. If you want to buy a car based on the tires it comes with, I think you could have bought a Golf TSI or a Subaru Impreza, and both of them likely come with all season tires...

If they were really chasing performance numbers, why did they use such a shitty tire?

There are lot of factors that go into spec'ing each individual parts, including stuff of which the consumer is not going to be aware. Likely though, it has a lot to do with OEM pricing.

There are all-season tires that will perform just as well as the 5P's; but, they're expensive. If performance were really the main criteria and they wanted to stick with Continental, I think they've have used the ECS, which is actually from this decade, and much better-performing tire.

I agree with the OP that it's a weird choice for this car, but tires on consumables. If you don't like them, put on something else (which he did).

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
All seasons are adequate for ordinary daily drivers. Glad my R didn't come with them, just wish VW had a forged wheel option for it. Swapping to winter shoes when the temps drop below 40 is no big deal.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
So you knowingly bought the car anyways w/ the tires that you don't like equipped. Then come to the internet to complain about it. Great thread Karen. Let's get you the manager.

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
I use winters on my cars from about mid November to mid April. I love having summers the rest of the time, a car like the R deserves them rather than all-seasons.

On the insurance front, my R actually ended up being $20 less per month than my GTI, neither insurance rates were astronomical.