GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

After over a month - My only issue with my R

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
The car is awesome. However I have to fault VW for pairing it with summer tires that while top of the line would be worthless in a climate that half the year has temps near or below 40 f at some point during the day and around 2 to 3 months of snow. I just chucked the summer tires after a few weeks and got top of the line all seasons while I decide on a second wheel and tire package for deep winter. The end of the day I am again spending over 1k in addition to what I already spent to drive my car.

I had the same gripe with Subaru and the tires that my "16 WRX came with, also summer. On that car just switching to All Seasons worked well for the three years I owned it. They lasted around 2 years before replacement was needed.

The R is not a sports car, at least Subaru could point out that while the WRX was awesome in snow it was essentially a sports car. The R on the other hand is refined, practical, and should be sold with all seasons.. just my opinion.

All performance cars are like this pretty much now. Comes with summer tires and you buy a set of winter wheels/Snow tires.
All seasons are not really meant for snow like you get up there. They mean all temps not all conditions. Buy some Snow/Ice tires for winter and you will be zipping by all those 4wd suvs stuck on the road wearing all seasons.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I got my '16 R in January, in the middle of a norther Vermont winter, in the effin' snow (long story as to why that timing). With summer tires. The drive home was...exciting? Tire Rack delivered the winter wheel/tire combo in a few days, thankfully.

When I got my S5 this past January, it had to come up from Massachusetts where a dealer had the exact configuration I wanted. I negotiated some Hakkapalitas so it arrived wearing snow tires with the Continentals in the back. No way in hell I was going to drive it on summer tires; learned my lesson on that.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The R is a fast econobox.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
To State Farm on my policy, it's just a generic 4-door Golf. And dirt cheap to insure.

Even my Z4 M Coupe, which the official model name of is "M Coupe" (even properly reflected on the title), is just a "Z4" to State Farm. Also cheap to insure. Go figure.

Allstate is trying to get me to pay 40 or 50 bucks more a month, over my previous car that was a WRX. If They won't budget by the time my policy renews in a few months I will be shopping.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
To State Farm on my policy, it's just a generic 4-door Golf. And dirt cheap to insure.

Even my Z4 M Coupe, which the official model name of is "M Coupe" (even properly reflected on the title), is just a "Z4" to State Farm. Also cheap to insure. Go figure.

Geico also thinks my car is a 4 Door Golf hatchback, Auto. Pleasant surprise when I bought it, I pay a similar premium to my CX-5 SUV.

Das auto1

Passed Driver's Ed

That’s all fine until you have an accident and your insurance company only wants to pay you out the price of a regular Golf instead of an Golf R.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That’s all fine until you have an accident and your insurance company only wants to pay you out the price of a regular Golf instead of an Golf R.

Yeah, that's not how that works. Not saying your insurance won't go up when they get a hefty bill to replace AWD components, an engine, etc. but they aren't going to de-spec your car after an accident.

Das auto1

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, that's not how that works. Not saying your insurance won't go up when they get a hefty bill to replace AWD components, an engine, etc. but they aren't going to de-spec your car after an accident.

What I mean is if you are paying the rate of a regular Golf instead of an R which is almost twice as much there’s going to be a problem when something goes wrong and the insurance company think you are driving a regular Golf instead of an R. Since all 3 cars are called Golf, Golf GTI, and Golf R it could happen to anyone.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R

I have State Farm too and same thing. They have the Vin and I asked why my card said just golf instead of golf r. They said it’s still a golf and they have 1 listing in their system and I am still covered for a golf R.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
What I mean is if you are paying the rate of a regular Golf instead of an R which is almost twice as much there’s going to be a problem when something goes wrong and the insurance company think you are driving a regular Golf instead of an R. Since all 3 cars are called Golf, Golf GTI, and Golf R it could happen to anyone.

But what rate do you think you're getting charged? Geico could feel that for claims across all Golf models that the costs don't vary enough to have tiers of Golf. So I get charged for a Golf.

In any case, your insurance company isn't going to wake up one day and realize that there are higher trim level Golfs. Just like they aren't confused if you had a "Mustang" but it happens to be a GT500. They know, they just might not care. Multi-Billion dollar industries don't usually make issues that cost them money.