GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

aFe drop in vs APR intake

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
I am going to side with Greggles on this one. While I can understand the reasoning behind the mod, I think it makes more sense to keep cooling in check than to get that 1-3 HP increase. But, to each their own and make the choice you will.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
I am going to side with Greggles on this one. While I can understand the reasoning behind the mod, I think it makes more sense to keep cooling in check than to get that 1-3 HP increase. But, to each their own and make the choice you will.

Question: Doesn't the current aftermaket intakes remove the ducting?

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Let's call it what it really is....an intake noise reducer. All big turbo/performance setups gain power fitting these devices on. Or VW has the corner on the market for something magical. Lol.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Question: Doesn't the current aftermaket intakes remove the ducting?

There are a few models which replace the ducting, and block off the airflow to the oil cooler on the left side. Any unit which utilizes the stock bottom airbox (now the most popular of solutions, as the aftermarket figured out the stock bottom/duct is awesome) keeps them intact. The IE intake replaces part of the ducting, but leaves the left side open to maintain that circular airflow into the engine compartment.

Being as there seems to be little if any difference between most of the intakes on the market, and the fact owners making over 500 hp+ (440 whp) are utilizing the stock inlet ducting, I don't believe it poses any sort of restriction to the intake system. That is just my opinion based on available data. (I always reserve the right to change my opinion when new data is made available!)

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Let's call it what it really is....an intake noise reducer. All big turbo/performance setups gain power fitting these devices on. Or VW has the corner on the market for something magical. Lol.

Best in class has mileage AND best designed intake!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
There are a few models which replace the ducting, and block off the airflow to the oil cooler on the left side. Any unit which utilizes the stock bottom airbox (now the most popular of solutions, as the aftermarket figured out the stock bottom/duct is awesome) keeps them intact. The IE intake replaces part of the ducting, but leaves the left side open to maintain that circular airflow into the engine compartment.

Being as there seems to be little if any difference between most of the intakes on the market, and the fact owners making over 500 hp+ (440 whp) are utilizing the stock inlet ducting, I don't believe it poses any sort of restriction to the intake system. That is just my opinion based on available data. (I always reserve the right to change my opinion when new data is made available!)

I hear you. I may be setting up dyno time soon and I will do it both ways for us hard data guys. ;).

I just hear people complaining about the lazy stock tuning throttle response and long gearing. My throttle response is very spot on and slightly aggressive imo (just NPM piggy) with my said mods. I'm pretty sure my catless dp and derestricted airbox has definitely helped with spool time (non WOT everyday driving) as stock it definitely felt more sluggish. Above 5500 rpms it stays in the power and it does not nose dive nearly as bad. I would be willing to bet this is not just a placebo affect. In addition, the whole reason for bringing this up in the first place is I doubt any aftermarket intake will make more power (minimal at best) than what I (or anyone) can have for FREE. Cheers.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I agree the stock airbox mods are great. I just don't think you need to cut up, or remove the duct work. That isn't where the restriction lies. (That's my only argument). Try to reduce the amount of mods we need to do :)

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Best in class has mileage AND best designed intake!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. Amen. I was getting close to 35 mpg's last trip.

Did you do it and drive the car yet?? Either I'm crazy or stupid or both. :).

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I agree the stock airbox mods are great. I just don't think you need to cut up, or remove the duct work. That isn't where the restriction lies. (That's my only argument). Try to reduce the amount of mods we need to do :)

Do you have GTI or R? Pop it off (easy to do) and drive it. Report back. :).

Ravenstyle83

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
I wonder if anyone cough cough APR or another tuner or person could dyno a car with just a drop in AFE filter and snow guard delete vs stock vs their intake. That would be an interesting read

bpw

Ready to race!
Just wanna say all contributions are appreciated, personally I'm going with the aFe drop in and I'm gonna dremel the one side out of the induction part and remove the snow guard and call it a day.

Oldschool I dig out side of the box thinking but I have two issues. One the air Temps going in IMO will be cooler with the duct in place maybe not much and maybe not at 60mph but day to day stop and go traffic I belive it will affect performance again IMO. Two I like the information greggles posted about the direction of air flow to the oil cooler.

I'm a why guy, I need to know the why behind things. I also reserve the right to change my mind in the light of new data lol.

bpw

Ready to race!
I wonder if anyone cough cough APR or another tuner or person could dyno a car with just a drop in AFE filter and snow guard delete vs stock vs their intake. That would be an interesting read

I'm guessing it'll never happen, the manufacturer doesn't wanna say "buy ours it makes 5hp more than the aFe" and the consumer won't do it cause they don't wanna be like "hey I spent 500 bones to make 5hp"

Bear in mind I've bought two intakes for my Mk7 so this isn't a dig on anyone that wants/has one. First one I bought was the injen. I took it off within a few weeks I just didnt feel comfortable with the level of filtration, or my perceived level of filtration.

Next I had a vwr cup intake, nice intake lots of noise. And that's what wanted, I kept this one for a while but once I did my DP there was just to many noises coming out of my car lol. Maybe I'm getting old.