GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice/Opinions/Experience, Please - selling car after damage repair

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
since the other driver was at fault I assume they will pay for a rental car. Don't be rushed. I agree with not wanting it back. I did that route 2x and it was a mistake both times

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I think the key is for the Body Shop to do a top notch job. If the car drives straight, no vibrations, and body all matches you would lose only about 3-5000.00 which is pretty understandable as someone else is taking a risk on your car. I mean think about it. You don't even want to keep it, lol. So can you expect someone else to want to pay you top value for it? Be upfront , show them pictures and body shop invoice details and where you got it done and you will find a buyer.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Curious why you don't want the car?

cb1111

The estimate is from the body shop. They've already taken it apart. I don't have Geico, but the person who hit me does.
I am going to ask my insurance to ask Geico if they will just pay off my loan (19K) and we all walk away. It will save the time for repairs, the diminished value claim I'll be filing otherwise, medial, etc. I just want to be done with it, get the negative energy out of my life and move on to a new car, which I already have picked out and hoping to finalize in the next few days, providing it didn't sell this weekend as I'm trying to do it from out of state. I don't want to deal with waiting a month or longer for repairs (who knows what shipping delays their may still be from covid slowdowns), then have to store it while I try to sell it to Carfax or similar.
Wait - you have a medical claim? You'll want to see a doc before you do anything else

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Curious why you don't want the car?

Can't speak for OP, but when my last car (Fiesta ST) got damaged, first from someone backing into it and destroying the front fender and messing up the surrounding bodywork, and then from a leaky roof at the rear weld points, I was over the car. The repair did not bring my car back to the condition it was before (nibs in the paint, Ford body shop wouldn't align my hood/fenders/headlights properly). It's mainly just frustrating to have a car that was once-pristine be tarnished by repairs that may not be up to the standard it was before the incident

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Can't speak for OP, but when my last car (Fiesta ST) got damaged, first from someone backing into it and destroying the front fender and messing up the surrounding bodywork, and then from a leaky roof at the rear weld points, I was over the car. The repair did not bring my car back to the condition it was before (nibs in the paint, Ford body shop wouldn't align my hood/fenders/headlights properly). It's mainly just frustrating to have a car that was once-pristine be tarnished by repairs that may not be up to the standard it was before the incident
I've had cars repaired before and to me, it's about not accepting sub-par repair work. With USAA, the work is guaranteed and if the car is of a certain age, then the body shop is required to use new/factory parts for the repair. Just me I guess but I would want to keep it if possible. I also own my cars so not making payments etc. so that likely factors in as well. Seems like in this case, the Carvana/Carmax/whatever route is likely the path of least resistance to recoup what you can as long as you are honest.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I also own my cars so not making payments etc. so that likely factors in as well.
How so? In terms of how the car is repaired or just OP's situation of possibly trading it in?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So let me understand......you're going to get a car back fully fixed, not total'd with almost an entire paint job and new parts. Unless you're dumping it to get rid of payments (which I have done and understand completely)....assuming you'll then buy a car that will allow you to NOT have payments...why wouldn't you keep it?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
with my two experiences:

1. 3 YO infinity they should have totalled it but hidden damage discovered. trunk still leaked after 3 bring backs and Mrs Mud wasn't happy.

2. 3 month old Mazda p/up that was put into 4lo at hwy speeds. 2 clutchs and 3 throw out bearings later something was f'd in 4wd system. They had replaced front diff, transfer case and one axle shaft but when I heard the sound of the 3rd TO bearing going it was dump it time

edit: Both were paid for

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
How so? In terms of how the car is repaired or just OP's situation of possibly trading it in?
It always seems like the folks making payments are more willing to dump cars/trade them etc. after a wreck than those that own them. I own my car. If I get hit and it's fixed, why would I want to trade it in/sell it to take on payments again? If you have payments like so many do, there doens't seem to be as much of a concern with it b/c for them, as long as the payment stays about the same so why make payments on a wrecked car vs. a new one? That's the logic as I interpret it and I know this factors in for this discussion for many.

cb1111

It always seems like the folks making payments are more willing to dump cars/trade them etc. after a wreck than those that own them. I own my car. If I get hit and it's fixed, why would I want to trade it in/sell it to take on payments again? If you have payments like so many do, there doens't seem to be as much of a concern with it b/c for them, as long as the payment stays about the same so why make payments on a wrecked car vs. a new one? That's the logic as I interpret it and I know this factors in for this discussion for many.
I don't think that having payments has anything to do with it.

I do think that buying new vs buying use has something to do with it. If you generally buy used, then you overlook small issues - a ripple in the paint, a vague noise or a little leak if it rains and your car is parked on a slope. If you buy new, then you'll only want to put up with self inflicted wounds.

I've never had a car repaired that came back in the pre-accident condition - even at top rated body shops. When it was my fault (a deer for example), I moaned and bitched until it was mostly fixed to my liking. If it wasn't my fault (what part of stopped at a red light is hard for the guy behind me to understand?) then I've dumped them.

Given the heavy duty suspension damage in this case, it is unlikely that the car will drive as before - not necessarily worse - but different. The OP will always notice, but a new owner wouldn't give it a second thought.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
accidents are ALWAYS a reason to upgrade everything you can.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would want mine repaired barring frame damage because I wouldn't be getting anything close to the money I've spent on it hopping it up.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't think that having payments has anything to do with it.

I do think that buying new vs buying use has something to do with it. If you generally buy used, then you overlook small issues - a ripple in the paint, a vague noise or a little leak if it rains and your car is parked on a slope. If you buy new, then you'll only want to put up with self inflicted wounds.

I've never had a car repaired that came back in the pre-accident condition - even at top rated body shops. When it was my fault (a deer for example), I moaned and bitched until it was mostly fixed to my liking. If it wasn't my fault (what part of stopped at a red light is hard for the guy behind me to understand?) then I've dumped them.

Given the heavy duty suspension damage in this case, it is unlikely that the car will drive as before - not necessarily worse - but different. The OP will always notice, but a new owner wouldn't give it a second thought.
I don't disagree on new vs. used and what you are willing to accept but I stand by my statement - if I go from owning my car to having to buy a new one again, I'll take what I have as long as the repairs etc. are up to standard. To your point, my car was bought new and I keep my cars a long time so I accept the small defects etc. of that decision as time marches on with my ownership. As someone said above, my car is also modified so that factors in too. Payments or not absolutely weighs in here though IMHO.

cb1111

I don't disagree on new vs. used and what you are willing to accept but I stand by my statement - if I go from owning my car to having to buy a new one again, I'll take what I have as long as the repairs etc. are up to standard. To your point, my car was bought new and I keep my cars a long time so I accept the small defects etc. of that decision as time marches on with my ownership. As someone said above, my car is also modified so that factors in too. Payments or not absolutely weighs in here though IMHO.
Absolutely correct. As cars age, there are often minor changes that we don't notice (just like how we age), but an accident "ages" the car immediately.

Like Jim said, in some cases (like heavy duty mods) you might want your car back, depending on the accident, you might want your car back - or not.