GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice for loading/transporting a motor

WagenWizard

Ready to race!
Does anyone here have and advice or tips for loading and moving a motor? 1.8 long block with no accessories, currently sitting in a garage. Needs to be loaded into either the bed of a pickup, or possibly a trailer if I can acquire one. I have no idea what they weigh, but I am guessing at least 300 pounds. Not big, just a big ol heavy lump of metal.

Any devices, or dolly that would make this easier? Appreciate any tips or advice you can offer. Thanks!

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Engine hoist. Don't fuck around, just get one.

Pallet in the truck bed if you care.

A way to tie it down so it doesn't shift when you're driving.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
They're about 300 lbs for a long-block with no turbo. Get a small pallet, ratchet straps, and ideally some plastic wrap. Put the motor on its back so that it's not crushing any wiring or hard lines. Strap it down and wrap it as you see fit.
A pallet jack will make moving it around a lot easier. For mine we just used 3 guys with good backs and knees and loaded the pallet in and out of the truck by hand.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Engine hoist. Don't fuck around, just get one.

Pallet in the truck bed if you care.

A way to tie it down so it doesn't shift when you're driving.

Hogwash.

Who needs an engine hoist when you can just get a 2x4 and a fulcrum?

If you want to do it legit, @scrllock's way is how it's done.

WagenWizard

Ready to race!
They're about 300 lbs for a long-block with no turbo. Get a small pallet, ratchet straps, and ideally some plastic wrap. Put the motor on its back so that it's not crushing any wiring or hard lines. Strap it down and wrap it as you see fit.
A pallet jack will make moving it around a lot easier. For mine we just used 3 guys with good backs and knees and loaded the pallet in and out of the truck by hand.
Thanks! May be able to get a pallet jack. I'm over 50 so I have no friends with good backs! 😆 I'll have to find some youngsters to help out. Wasn't sure about laying down, but that will certainly make it easier. I appreciate the reply and advice!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
good hand truck and some 2 x 10/12 ramps two old guys should be able to do it. Possible with one if you can get it so the ramps are flat by backing up to a raised area. Old tire makes a good base once it's on the truck/trailer