GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adjusting/modifying the internal bump stops on B8 struts… (please lend help & wisdom)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok....after a track day...hahahaha

20231002_131428.jpg

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG

MrTSI

Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
You hit the nail mostly on the head: 90% of the lowering springs designed for our cars have insufficient spring rate, and they lower the struts to the bottom of their travel. Meaning WAY too low to be truly useful on track or on rough roads.

EDD, H&R, APR, VWR, and others.

Neuspeed Sports have excellent rates but are also (still) SUPER low, compared to the ideal ride height and suspension stroke for a street car.

My H&R OE Sports were divine at first, but eventually settled a good 8-10mm lower than I want. Meaning what was a 2-finger gap is now closer to 1, which is purdy low for a 90% street car. They look slick, but I need more room for compression travel.

I am considering the Neuspeed RS3 springs or the 034 Motorsport offerings for the S3 and RS3. They have a MUCH heavier spring rate without being too punishing on the street. This would effectively be the poor man's solution to the $1200 Bilstein B14s, since I scored a screaming deal on my B8s, and can sell off the H&Rs to cover half the cost of the next springs.

The B8s are a brilliant damper when paired with the correct spring and ride height. They handled all the track abuse I threw at them. They control body motions sufficiently to allow the car to put the power down (even in 1st!), which is huge. Just add better springs.

This is the route I'm considering next year:

034 RS3 springs (non-MR): https://www.034motorsport.com/dynam...rs3-quattro-performance-lowering-springs.html

034 S3 springs (non-MR): https://www.034motorsport.com/dynamic-lowering-springs-for-8v-audi-a3-s3-non-magride.html

The last one has the PERFECT ride height for a street and track car that's actually driven hard.

Listed curb weight for the S3 is 3462lbs. My GTI is right at 3100-3150 before I get in it. So those springs on a GTI will sit a bit higher. How much, I can't say. Only one person so far has run these springs and it was on a GSW (wagon) w/4-motion, so the two were much closer in curb weights.

A 3350lb Golf R would be a perfect candidate for the S3 or RS3 springs above, given its heavier curb.

Listing this here not to hijack, but to help others considering the B8s and setting up an optimal suspension for under $1k.

Proper spring selection would negate the original post's need to adjust the internal bumpstops.

Hope this all makes sense in writing for the readers. 🍻 ✌️

-the VW junkie

According to their website, the revised APR Roll-Control springs for the MK7 feature significantly higher spring rates than stock and most aftermarket options. They also seem to lower about as much, front and rear, as the H&R OE Sports.
If your're happy with the OE Sport ride height, perhaps the higher rates on the APRs would keep you off the bump stops.

Advertised spring rates:
  • APR Roll-Control: 323 lbs/in (front) ; 362 lbs/in (rear)
  • 034 Dynamic+: 210 lbs/in (front) ; 280 lbs/in (rear)
  • Neuspeed Sport: 260 lbs/in (front) ; 290 lbs/in (rear)
  • Eibach (US version): 217 lbs/in (front) ; 286 lbs/in (rear)
  • Stock GTI (non-DCC according to APR): 184 lbs/in (front) ; 250 lbs/in (rear)
  • Stock GTI (DCC according to APR): 215 lbs/in (front) ; 226 lbs/in (rear)
  • Stock Golf R (DCC according to APR): 216 lbs/in (front) ; 245 lbs/in (rear)

tigeo

Autocross Champion

1970something

Ready to race!
Does the bottoming-out issue only happen with B8 + lowering springs or does it happen with other struts too? Seems like everyone and their mother has lowered a gti on stock struts and I don’t see the forums filled with these complaints (maybe I’m just missing it).

I’m curious if Bilsteins in particular have less bump travel for some reason.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Does the bottoming-out issue only happen with B8 + lowering springs or does it happen with other struts too? Seems like everyone and their mother has lowered a gti on stock struts and I don’t see the forums filled with these complaints (maybe I’m just missing it).

Someone will need to do the same procedures I did to find out "full bump" of a Bilstein (since it's internal), but this is how you properly check for clearance and make the most of the tiny amount of travel we do have:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/suspension/rideheight

I'll be able to know more with some time, JUST put 034 springs on, after finding out APRs won't fit with camber mounts (mentioned in the video).

Ultimately, lowering makes a lot of things bad on these cars for handling.

Ride Height and Wheel Travel - MK7 Suspension Geometry

tigeo

Autocross Champion

It happens with any stock length strut as well. The B8 just reduces the droop by 1".

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Someone will need to do the same procedures I did to find out "full bump" of a Bilstein (since it's internal), but this is how you properly check for clearance and make the most of the tiny amount of travel we do have:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/suspension/rideheight

I'll be able to know more with some time, JUST put 034 springs on, after finding out APRs won't fit with camber mounts (mentioned in the video).

Ultimately, lowering makes a lot of things bad on these cars for handling.

Ride Height and Wheel Travel - MK7 Suspension Geometry
That's interesting that you had an issue with APR springs and your camber mounts. They have been fine on my car with the Eurosport camber inserts.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
That's interesting that you had an issue with APR springs and your camber mounts. They have been fine on my car with the Eurosport camber inserts.

It's my understanding they were revised in the last year or two IIRC? Part number SUS00014 is the new one that doesn't fit.

The old part number seems to be SUS00002 for the GTI, and SUS00003 for the R.

They also look considerably different (if this stock photo is indeed correct, which it may not be):

1707151810046.png

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Correct, I have the new ones (SUS00014), which are stiffer, dual rate and don't have a fitment issue. What was the problem you had?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Correct, I have the new ones (SUS00014), which are stiffer, dual rate and don't have a fitment issue. What was the problem you had?

Might be because the Eurosport pucks give about half the camber of the 034 mounts (IIRC).

Here's a short showing interference as-installed:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1GzJGgYVx7Y

And you can get a better look at the differences/with them removed in this video here:

Basically they're rubbing by a solid 4-5mm interference. You have to physically distort the coils just to get the top hat to bolt up.

Could be a combo of chassis variability from one to another (this happened on both sides about equally FWIW)... but I think VW's production tolerances are closer than the amount of interference I was getting.

The OEM springs (and the 034) have the top coil offset which gives more clearance near the body. The APR has absolutely zero effort of doing this.

1707153218851.png

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Oof, that sucks

Looks like your plates offer 0.6 degrees more negative camber than mine, so I got lucky. Unfortunate there isn't a stiffer spring option that fits on proper camber plates.

MrTSI

Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
The Eurosport inserts move the strut shaft inboard but do not change where the spring sits relative to the strut tower since they reuse the OE top mounts. The spring remains in the stock location.
The 034 camber plates move the whole spring seat inboard, hence the interference with the wider coils.

Last edited:

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
The Eurosport inserts move the strut inboard but do not change where the spring sits relative to the strut tower. The spring seat is in the stock location.
The 034 camber plates move the spring seat inboard, hence the interference with the wider coils.
Good point! I totally forgot about that

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
The Eurosport inserts move the strut inboard but do not change where the spring sits relative to the strut tower. The spring seat is in the stock location.
The 034 camber plates move the spring seat inboard, hence the interference with the wider coils.

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for chiming in!