GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding auxiliary radiator

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That’s the problem, that shopdap video. Lots of misinformation there. Considering how knowledgeable those cats are, I wonder if it was done on purpose.

I don’t want to completely shit on DAP because that would be in bad taste, but lets just say I’ve helped hundreds of people correct issues caused by bad advice from DAP videos on suspension and turbo installations...I don’t watch their videos, but I’ve looked at them to see first hand where this horrible advice comes from and BOOM, there’s Paul driving the DIY crowd right into all kinds of trouble

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Personally I'd look at logs. Mygolfmy7.com has some flow tests, and you can find others online.. but at the end of the day it's how the hunk of metal cools air so our ECU doesn't freak out and start pulling things.

Outside of Baun I haven't seen too many collections of logs on FMICs. I dug around a little bit ago when I was looking at the ARM FMIC as it was then the only "no mod required" OTS FMIC I could find for a decent price that wasn't ebay.

The Magic/Majesty guys have a pretty good collection of logs in their install thread. Other than the cutting/grinding to make it fit, it seems pretty solid as one of the Larger TMICs (1001in^3 I believe?). The high horsepower guys have some good logs with the IE, do88, Mishi and APR ICs.

Handful of posts on twinter-coolers, but most seem to shoot those down pretty quick.

I'm all for more info on an aux radiator. I know the early MK6 days most would toss on a FMIC and upgrade the stock radiator. Also waiting on more info for Bauns Radiator/Oil cooler combo.
I got logs from different cats on Reddit. First thing I noticed was just how superior 400$ Fmic’s were vs 800$ stock location intercoolers.

I only saw one log with the baun intercooler. It was definitely the better performing front mount I saw

edit if u want logs go to reddit

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I don’t want to completely shit on DAP because that would be in bad taste, but lets just say I’ve helped hundreds of people correct issues caused by bad advice from DAP videos on suspension and turbo installations...I don’t watch their videos, but I’ve looked at them to see first hand where this horrible advice comes from and BOOM, there’s Paul driving the DIY crowd right into all kinds of trouble
That’s good of u dude. Some other folks would’ve just left these folks with an inch or rope

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I got logs from different cats on Reddit. First thing I noticed was just how superior 400$ tmic’s were vs 800$ stock location intercoolers.

I only saw one log with the baun intercooler. It was definitely the better performing front mount I saw
Hmm.. Guess I'll have to dig into it a bit more again. Certainly an easier install, and most just leave the dead IC in the heat sandwich. Most end up replacing stock location due to the forward sensors, which are not a concern for me. Just when I thought I had decided on my IC, you gotta go make me think about it all over. Luckily I went with a more mild stock location, so there won't be much sticker shock either way when looking at FMICs.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I got logs from different cats on Reddit. First thing I noticed was just how superior 400$ tmic’s were vs 800$ stock location intercoolers.

I’ve never sent Jeff of mygolfmk7.com a log, but dozens of customers have.

He chose to not include the majority of them because the IAT dipped 1-2* below ambient during shifts. I’m the the Volkswagen engineer who designed the sensors so I can’t explain that (it’s impossible to go below ambient on an air to air intercooler), but my best guess would be slight sensor inaccuracies.

There’s absolutely no reason why any of my customers would lie or fake logs, but apparently that’s how Jeff took it so his representation of my FMIC is only the worst logs sent to him (and he makes no disclaimer of that).

Makes no difference to me, I still stay as busy as I want to be, but take his data with a grain of salt because I’m sure that’s not the only instance he’s played god with the data that gets published

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Hmm.. Guess I'll have to dig into it a bit more again. Certainly an easier install, and most just leave the dead IC in the heat sandwich. Most end up replacing stock location due to the forward sensors, which are not a concern for me. Just when I thought I had decided on my IC, you gotta go make me think about it all over. Luckily I went with a more mild stock location, so there won't be much sticker shock either way when looking at FMICs.
Why would the fmic interfere with the front sensor? I thought they were under the headlights and in the front vw logo?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

He chose to not include the majority of them because the IAT dipped 1-2* below ambient during shifts. I’m the the Volkswagen engineer who designed the sensors so I can’t explain that (it’s impossible to go below ambient on an air to air intercooler), but my best guess would be slightly sensor inaccuracies.

There’s absolutely no reason why any of my customers would lie or fake logs, but apparently that’s how Jeff took it so his representation of my FMIC is only the worst logs sent to him (and he makes no disclaimer of that).

Makes no difference to me, I still stay as busy as I want to be, but take his data with a grain of salt because I’m sure that’s not the only instance he’s played god with the data that gets published
I agree and there's a reason he was banned from the forum.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

He chose to not include the majority of them because the IAT dipped 1-2* below ambient during shifts. I’m the the Volkswagen engineer who designed the sensors so I can’t explain that (it’s impossible to go below ambient on an air to air intercooler), but my best guess would be slight sensor inaccuracies.

Definitely a bad reading sensor. I saw this once too but with the grimmspeed top mount intercooler on a wrx. I was like, wait a minute dude....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The plot thickens. Why was dude banned?
Don't know. He wasn't open minded and wouldn't ever admit when he was obviously wrong but that wouldn't be the reason. He did like to argue and probably stepped over the line.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I agree and there's a reason he was banned from the forum.
He lives to Troll people, and got slightly butt hurt I didn’t send him a free FMIC to test.

He loves to offer a $300 reward for the “best intercooler” just to talk down to random people on the internet who don’t know engineering vocabulary words (he’s an engineer).

I like that he spends the time to try to help people, and don’t have a problem with him, but I don’t endorse that kinda nonsense...he could just tell them he’s the one who posted the data they’re referring to.
Definitely a bad reading sensor. I saw this once too but with the grimmspeed top mount intercooler on a wrx. I was like, wait a minute dude....

Yeah it’s during shifts which is also a vacuum (another possibility for error in the readings). During the pull 2-12* over is average for my FMIC in 3-4th pulls at or below 100* ambient.

Why would the fmic interfere with the front sensor? I thought they were under the headlights and in the front vw logo?

On Mk7.5 (2018 and newer). Prior to that it was a big or radar in the lower grille

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

I'd love a Baun, thing are like pieces of art and I love staring at them. Need to do a flash sale my man! :ROFLMAO: