GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Have you checked carvana and Carmax trade in values? Sell there and go buy somewhere else?

CarMax will give me less than I'd want.

Carvana is in line with what I'd want, but I'd have to bring the car to them in PA, a 6hr drive. If you're not within a 100 mile radius of a Carvana location, they won't pick up a trade/sale. They can deliver a car anywhere, but not get one.

Too many horror stories heard about Vroom to even try.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
One thing to consider between selling your car and trading it is that you will save the sale taxes on whatever the trade amount is. Here in TX it's a 6.25% for auto transactions. So if your selling your car to another dealer, you will have to add the sale taxes to the price to get the same deal as in the dealer you are buying.

For your example if you get 19,000 for your trade, that's $1187.50 you don't pay.

So, (financing at 60x2.3%)
$29,900 -19,000 = 10,000(6.25%) + $625 in taxes = $10,625 financed $188(60) = $11,258

vs

29900(6.25%) + $1868.75 in taxes = $31778.75 - 19000 = $12778.75 financed = $13,539

I know a lot of people don't care about this, but it was a good sale point when I was selling cars. Especially on the $50k plus deals.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ excellent point

and remember... NO sales tax when private sale!

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
^ excellent point

That is different state by state but even Illinois has a 6.25% sales tax from a dealer (plus whatever else the county/city you live in add on top of that) or a 6.25% "use tax" if buying from private party. The only exceptions to that are vehicle sales below a certain dollar amount.

That said for a while every car I bought from a private party was a $500 vehicle according to the great state of Illinois.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ Yeah, different state by state; in my case, buying a car private sale, i pay tax on the purchase price to the state, usually between ~500 to 1200 i think. But when selling, i pay no tax. Hope that doesn't bite me in the ass somehow one day :ROFLMAO:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
One thing to consider between selling your car and trading it is that you will save the sale taxes on whatever the trade amount is. Here in TX it's a 6.25% for auto transactions. So if your selling your car to another dealer, you will have to add the sale taxes to the price to get the same deal as in the dealer you are buying.

For your example if you get 19,000 for your trade, that's $1187.50 you don't pay.

So, (financing at 60x2.3%)
$29,900 -19,000 = 10,000(6.25%) + $625 in taxes = $10,625 financed $188(60) = $11,258

vs

29900(6.25%) + $1868.75 in taxes = $31778.75 - 19000 = $12778.75 financed = $13,539

I know a lot of people don't care about this, but it was a good sale point when I was selling cars. Especially on the $50k plus deals.

^ excellent point

Getting that upfront deduction on the taxes is nice when you buy & trade at the same place, but I'm pretty sure even if you don't do that, you can get that deduction when you file your taxes.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Getting that upfront deduction on the taxes is nice when you buy & trade at the same place, but I'm pretty sure even if you don't do that, you can get that deduction when you file your taxes.
It depends on where you are financially... we used to itemize our taxes till about 3 years ago when the standard deduction almost doubled on the Federal Tax form, maybe on the state side if you file those, TX don't have state taxes.

Also, remember when you use it as a deduction it doesn't mean that you are saving that money, just means that you are not paying the tax percent of that... which could only translate to around $200 depending on your bracket.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That is different state by state but even Illinois has a 6.25% sales tax from a dealer (plus whatever else the county/city you live in add on top of that) or a 6.25% "use tax" if buying from private party. The only exceptions to that are vehicle sales below a certain dollar amount.

That said for a while every car I bought from a private party was a $500 vehicle according to the great state of Illinois.
That’s so weird isn’t it? How we can consistently find good deals? I haven’t paid over 100$ for a private party car since high school in California.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
That’s so weird isn’t it? How we can consistently find good deals? I haven’t paid over 100$ for a private party car since high school in California.
They don't have a value assigned to them? When I sold my TDI, I wrote a letter saying the kid bought it for 7k, when he went to the DMV or whatever, they were still like, average price for this car is 14K, pay tax on 14K.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
No, just whatever you purchased it for if you got private party and just transferring title.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
They don't have a value assigned to them? When I sold my TDI, I wrote a letter saying the kid bought it for 7k, when he went to the DMV or whatever, they were still like, average price for this car is 14K, pay tax on 14K.
Sales tax, no. In Massachusetts we have annual local excise tax which is calculated off of book value.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So here's two top of 3rd pulls I did on my way home from work today. Paging all the smarter guys than me to take a look at something.

Pull 1: https://datazap.me/u/acadia18/eqt-v...c-1242022?log=0&data=3-8-14-38-41-44&mark=101

1643061350041.png

For this pull, I didn't turn off ASR\ESC, because I don't have a habit of doing that when I get in my car. At 90mph my car said "WOAH WOAH WOAH NOT SO MUCH BOOST!!", and another part of my car said "IDGAF, YOU'RE GETTING THE BOOST!!". No EPC or anything, but I could see the Target Boost I was monitoring on my AP start to drop.

Turned off ASR\ESC, replicated the same pull, about a minute later.

Pull 2: https://datazap.me/u/acadia18/eqt-v...c-1242022?log=0&data=3-8-14-38-41-44&mark=135

1643061517245.png

Boost control was right where it was supposed to be. At 90mph, my car didn't try to pull back the boost.

That lines up with two full 3rd gear logs I did yesterday:

TC on: https://datazap.me/u/acadia18/eqt-v106-3rd-gear-log-1-tc-1232022?log=0&data=8-14-38
TC off: https://datazap.me/u/acadia18/eqt-v106-3rd-gear-log-2-tc-1232022?log=0&data=8-14-38

Is there a safety measure built in to ASR\ESC to pull boost at 90mph if those are turned on? I know I can have traction issues lower in third, but I'm hooked at 90mph and not breaking grip, at least when these roads are dry. Is there anything else that could be happening here?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Given it went away after, my guess is it was indeed the traction control

You sure it can't spin? This guy has an XL but is clearly spinning tires at 90mph