GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A Trackday Novice Perspective | 2018 GTI SE

pjp1113

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 GTI SE
09/02/2023 - Ridge Motorsports Park, Shelton, WA- 1:55.91 (Elantra N)

A much-anticipated day for me in the Elantra N, I have been really eager to experience and write up some of the track differences between the GTI and EN. It was sort of a scramble to get prepped in time for this date and had to skip over some stuff I had scheduled due to some conflicting plans. It was also not ideal conditions to shakedown the car as the temps got up to 88F, the hottest day I did in the GTI was around the low 80s. The EN is close to bone stock: wheels/tires (Motegi 18x8.5s, Nankang AR-1 245/40/18) and a rear motor mount. First time running a 100TW tire and I honestly had more grip than I knew what to do with. The Nankangs were the most financially practical option in a wheel/tire package available for the car that would show up on time. Great tire and would have loved to try something like this on the GTI.

Comparing the cars on track - the fact they are both FWD is where the similarities sort of end. The GTI is actually much quicker in a straight line and tends to accelerate harder in slow speed corners (2nd gear). I found myself having to brake deep into T1 to be able to match the GTI’s front straight speed and the EN max speed definitely did not hold as the day grew warmer. Speaking of brakes, it’s difficult to compare as the GTI had a great set up and the EN has stock brakes, but I do feel like I’ll be able to brake a bit deeper with the Elantra. The biggest difference for me was the wheelbase, which is obviously much shorter on the GTI. The GTI is nimbler, which makes it easier to have the car pointed, but had weight transfer issues under heavy braking zones at the Ridge. On the other hand, I struggled at first in the Elantra as handling was not intuitive initially and loves to over rotate. Once I was more deliberate, it was confidence inspiring in areas where the GTI struggled, and I slowly improved on my turn entries and exits. Between the two styles of handling, I’m not sure if I have a preference.

Honestly, both platforms are very impressive, and each have their own benefits. I wish I had experience driving a Type R to throw into the mix as well, but I do not believe in stockish form they would go much faster than the Hyundai. It was a successful shakedown to get close to my PB in the GTI and have great notes to compare cars. Reflecting on the GTI data makes me remember how quick it was with pretty light modifications and how fun it was to drive.

image.png

PB in the GTI (black) 1:55.43 vs Best Elantra N Lap (blue) 1:55.91

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Sounds like you're off to a good start with the Elantra! I've heard a lot of great things about AR-1s and Nankangs performance tyres in general, I'm sure going to aggressive rubber like that really make a world of a difference.

Do you have a build thread anywhere for the new car?

pjp1113

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 GTI SE
Sounds like you're off to a good start with the Elantra! I've heard a lot of great things about AR-1s and Nankangs performance tyres in general, I'm sure going to aggressive rubber like that really make a world of a difference.

Do you have a build thread anywhere for the new car?
Yeah, and it feels like cheating a bit comparing to the GTI with AR-1s on the EN, the car has so much grip. I've heard a lot of good things as well and I'd like to the CR-S tires, but it's kind of hard to justify when the Kumhos are still so cheap.

The N forums are barren with anything Elantra N related, so reddit and facebook groups are the best sources of information. I made a google site for fun where I'll be posting my track day writeups until some of the forums add sections for car journals. https://sites.google.com/view/tracknoviceperspective/home