GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A thought about HP and what th manufacture says it has

Alfaguy

Ready to race!
I was talking to a friend and came up with the question does VW tell the truth about the output of the cars. Mercedes and BMW have a tendency to underrate what the output is where as the American manufacturers overestimate what the car really does. So does VW make their numbers higher or lower than what the car does

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Dear god there are so many threads about this. VW does underrate the HP of the cars. They claim 210/220 but dyno runs have stock cars showing 230-250 depending on the dyno and location / climate.

General consensus is that it is an insurance thing to keep costs lower.

thxrick

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 BMW X4MC, 2016
Funny thing as I am on several forums and have never seen a thread like this. Not kidding. I have heard this and believe it. I have owned 2 335i and still own an e90 version. No way the stock hp is 300....hear dyno is 330.

Just bot my '15 MK7 in Feb...stock is better than the 210 as advertised. Add the MAP map and dynoed at 303 wheel on 93. Nice.....!!

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Most car companies, especially German understate HP/TQ for liability. If they stated exactly (as close as they can) what it is, and someone dyno's lower, that individual might sue. It happened to Honda or Hyundai a while back with MPG, that why MPG is also a touch lower.

thxrick

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 BMW X4MC, 2016
Most car companies, especially German understate HP/TQ for liability. If they stated exactly (as close as they can) what it is, and someone dyno's lower, that individual might sue. It happened to Honda or Hyundai a while back with MPG, that why MPG is also a touch lower.

Good point. I think it happened to VW too when they quoted diesel emissions...;)

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
This (link down below, kinda got side tracked when typing) is just one thread that I'm talking about, there are others on here, but most of the discussions normally come from other threads talking about HP numbers and stuff.

So here is the Ford ST thread that is just pure gold. You might even see some familiar user names. What those bastards are doing in a Ford forums I have no idea. It's not like I'm a member and former active poster on NASIOC or anything.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-vs-competition/34049-mk7-vw-gti-lying-through-s-grill.html

Good point. I think it happened to VW too when they quoted diesel emissions...;)

hahaha iceburn!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
My 210 hp car did 215 whp bone stock.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Dyno chart? Location, altitude, gas, ambient temps, type of dyno used? Anything useful to actually help? I mean you drive an F150 :p , pretty sure they make more then 210 HP.... or not, I hate Ford.

Edit: BTW I'm not gonna Ask Jeeves to post dyno charts of stock GTI's because he is on a well deserved vacation, maybe Bing can help out.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Dyno chart? Location, altitude, gas, ambient temps, type of dyno used? Anything useful to actually help? I mean you drive an F150 [emoji14] , pretty sure they make more then 210 HP.... or not, I hate Ford.

Edit: BTW I'm not gonna Ask Jeeves to post dyno charts of stock GTI's because he is on a well deserved vacation, maybe Bing can help out.
I believe my F150 makes 375. [emoji16]
Toronto.
Toronto altitude.
91 octane.
Dynapack dyno.
20,000km on the car.
Air temp .... unsure.

I'll post the dyno chart with a build thread soon. I thought it would be fun to dyno a stock motor.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I believe my F150 makes 375. [emoji16]
Toronto.
Sea level. 249 feet above to be exact.
91 octane.
Dynapack dyno.
20,000km on the car.
Air temp .... unsure.

I'll post the dyno chart with a build thread soon. I thought it would be fun to dyno a stock motor.

Hahaha stupid Ford, but that sounds right. Awesome to hear about the dyno info, I wonder if the dyno has to do with the reading. I honestly know nothing about dyno's. Look forward to the chart! Given Toronto, I'm sure air temp is similar or lower to most of the charts I've seen. Also FTFY!

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Hahaha stupid Ford, but that sounds right. Awesome to hear about the dyno info, I wonder if the dyno has to do with the reading. I honestly know nothing about dyno's. Look forward to the chart! Given Toronto, I'm sure air temp is similar or lower to most of the charts I've seen. Also FTFY!
I think the dyno is a good reference for incremental horsepower increases or a baseline. I planed on putting my car on the dyno a few more times with plug ins and bolt ons but my clutch wouldn't play anymore. The finished product should be fun.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
There is no way VW is under rating the output of their engines. It's a selling point. Someone said "Dear god there are so many threads about this." it should have been "Dear god there are so many stupid threads about this."

emanon

Ready to race!
There is no way VW is under rating the output of their engines. It's a selling point. Someone said "Dear god there are so many threads about this." it should have been "Dear god there are so many stupid threads about this."
You're materially incorrect here, it's extremely common in german cars. BMW and MB are equally guilty. In europe the insurance classes are hp based. So they typically list whp vw motor hp. Look at common dynos of any recent german car, they destroy the stated numbers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Juggar

Ready to race!

You're wrong on this one man.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

Proof or just huffing and a puffing to blow the house down?