GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

904MK7's self tuned build.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Wow, where do I start. Some of you know me from Instagram, others through local channels the rest don't know me from Adam, but here goes.

A little backstory on me. I have always been into cars. My first was a 91 accord 2 door. That car lasted all of 5 mins before I wanted something better. I happen to get a deal on a Buick regal and believe it or not, there was an aftermarket for it. The first one I had was NA, and I'm pretty sure I had the NA world record for a couple of months before an intake runner insert came out that shattered it. Oh well.

After that I wanted more, the trans started slipping so I traded it and got an SC model. That's when I got into tuning. A program very similar to eurodyne called DHP was out at the time which I believe was developed by Zoomer at ZZP and some other founders who went on to become the creators of HP tuners. I did a fair amount of tuning for the 3800 community until I got rid of the car in 2007. I had 3 SC regals after that. The last was FBO with a 75 shot and a built trans. It trapped 120. I really miss those cars.

Screenshot_20190113-193059_Facebook~2.jpg

Fast forward a Malibu SS and a Camaro SS then came the GTI

IMG_20140601_112542.jpg

This was my first endeavor into German cars. I bought my 17 GTI PP/LP on July 3rd 2017.
IMG_20170706_112347~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210816-151710_Chrome~2.jpg

From there I started an Instagram, that did really well, but became a job of answering 50-100 dms a day, plus people trying to hack the account and spam made it not fun anymore. Either way it was fun, mildly lucrative and I made some really great and helpful friends.

The current mods are as follows:

Autotech intake
Autotech HPFP
Baun Performance FMIC
Rutheniums
IS20 soon to be Vortex Std
RS3 LPFP
Custom Borla Cat back
Ultimate Racing catted DP
Neuspeed RSE06
Yokohoma Apex tires
Solowerks coils
Eurosport STB
Maestro tune on E85
Eurodyne DSG tune

There are other little things but they are just preference and have no real performance increase or decrease.

I've done oil changes every 5k, regapped plugs every 5k and replaced placed every 10k since 7k miles. I've bounced around different oils between LM, Castrol and Motul. DSG fluid was replaced at 41k with Motul and at 62k with OEM.

Things that have broken or gone wrong with the car are as follows:

Bent stock wheel 2 weeks into ownership. Thermostat housing
Carbon cleaning (preventative)
Dual mass flywheel
Rear main seal ( preventative)
N80 valve
Currently chasing a weird chatter when the car is in park and idle, but goes away with revs or putting it in D or R. Doesn't affect performance. I'm guessing it's the clutches, but I'll drive it till it blows.

When I bought the car I said I wouldn't get into tuning, but I wanted control of my tune, so I bought a jb4. After I took it as far as I could, I looked into eurodyne and realized it's pretty much a mirror image of DHP, so I was hooked again. Though the ECU on a 90's GM car has like 90 measuring blocks and this GTI has like 50,000. The premise was still the same.. air, fuel and timing make power. KR and too much tq kill motors and transmissions.

This forum has a wealth of knowledge and while Cobb has become the dominant force in tuning for most people, I'm from the generation when all Cobb did was blow up Subarus. 😅 Nothing against them, I just have always preferred to do it myself.

I'll update as new mods happen. Thanks for reading!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Welcome to the forum, keep it up. This is a good place to share what went well and what not.
It’s mpi in your future when you upgrade the turbo?

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Welcome to the forum, keep it up. This is a good place to share what went well and what not.
I'm trying to avoid it tbh. I know I'll go over board and wind up building it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Wow, where do I start. Some of you know me from Instagram, others through local channels the rest don't know me from Adam, but here goes.

A little backstory on me. I have always been into cars. My first was a 91 accord 2 door. That car lasted all of 5 mins before I wanted something better. I happen to get a deal on a Buick regal and believe it or not, there was an aftermarket for it. The first one I had was NA, and I'm pretty sure I had the NA world record for a couple of months before an intake runner insert came out that shattered it. Oh well.

After that I wanted more, the trans started slipping so I traded it and got an SC model. That's when I got into tuning. A program very similar to eurodyne called DHP was out at the time which I believe was developed by Zoomer at ZZP and some other founders who went on to become the creators of HP tuners. I did a fair amount of tuning for the 3800 community until I got rid of the car in 2007. I had 3 SC regals after that. The last was FBO with a 75 shot and a built trans. It trapped 120. I really miss those cars.

View attachment 239073

Fast forward a Malibu SS and a Camaro SS then came the GTI

View attachment 239071

This was my first endeavor into German cars. I bought my 17 GTI PP/LP on July 3rd 2017.
View attachment 239074

View attachment 239076

From there I started an Instagram, that did really well, but became a job of answering 50-100 dms a day, plus people trying to hack the account and spam made it not fun anymore. Either way it was fun, mildly lucrative and I made some really great and helpful friends.

The current mods are as follows:

Autotech intake
Autotech HPFP
Baun Performance FMIC
Rutheniums
IS20 soon to be Vortex Std
RS3 LPFP
Custom Borla Cat back
Ultimate Racing catted DP
Neuspeed RSE06
Yokohoma Apex tires
Solowerks coils
Eurosport STB
Maestro tune on E85
Eurodyne DSG tune

There are other little things but they are just preference and have no real performance increase or decrease.

I've done oil changes every 5k, regapped plugs every 5k and replaced placed every 10k since 7k miles. I've bounced around different oils between LM, Castrol and Motul. DSG fluid was replaced at 41k with Motul and at 62k with OEM.

Things that have broken or gone wrong with the car are as follows:

Bent stock wheel 2 weeks into ownership. Thermostat housing
Carbon cleaning (preventative)
Dual mass flywheel
Rear main seal ( preventative)
N80 valve
Currently chasing a weird chatter when the car is in park and idle, but goes away with revs or putting it in D or R. Doesn't affect performance. I'm guessing it's the clutches, but I'll drive it till it blows.

When I bought the car I said I wouldn't get into tuning, but I wanted control of my tune, so I bought a jb4. After I took it as far as I could, I looked into eurodyne and realized it's pretty much a mirror image of DHP, so I was hooked again. Though the ECU on a 90's GM car has like 90 measuring blocks and this GTI has like 50,000. The premise was still the same.. air, fuel and timing make power. KR and too much tq kill motors and transmissions.

This forum has a wealth of knowledge and while Cobb has become the dominant force in tuning for most people, I'm from the generation when all Cobb did was blow up Subarus. 😅 Nothing against them, I just have always preferred to do it myself.

I'll update as new mods happen. Thanks for reading!

Great intro and welcome to the club/circus. Used to rock a stage III 07 WRX wagon (true wagon) and was protuned....no Cobb there either lol.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Feb 24th I took off work 3 days to install my new EQT vortex!
Screenshot_20220205-104045_Photos.jpg

It was my first turbo instal, but it went off fairly well. The only hang ups were that I installed the TMD backwards and stripped the bolt. 😅 I then had to cut it off.
Screenshot_20220301-163841_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220301-163859_Photos.jpg

IMG_20220223_161014_01.jpg

After all that I loaded my modded boss file and she ran great for 2 days....

I previously stated that I had a weird rattle in P and N. Well, I found out it was the c-clip for the clutch pack. It had partially broken 9 months ago and with the extra tq, it finally took a dump. I had to get it towed to the dealership where they put in a new clutch pack and now we can start the tuning process.
6675025331 (1).jpg

IMG_20220228_190530.jpg

Currently the car is pushing 24-25lbs with 7* of timing. Stay tuned for logs and dragy runs!

Last edited:

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Today I did my first dragy with the maestro base Boss file. I changed some fueling and set the boost limiters and other safety functions, but no changes to boost or timing. Currently, the car makes 27-28 in 3rd, but drops off hard in 4th to 24-25psi. Max timing is only 7*. You can see when I shift into 4th how slow it gets. I made some airflow changes to that tq range and upped the timing, so let's see what happens. From 60-110 it's moving like it's going to be in the 9's. Not sure what the offical goal is yet, sub 10's will be a great start.
Screenshot_20220304-084226_dragy.jpg

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
For sure. Like I said, except for safety's and fueling that I wanted to start out with, It's running good. I upped the airflow tables in the 400-450 column to get some more boost in 4th based on tq request, but the boss file is nice if you aren't going for all the power. All the limits are raised and airflow tables, PUT and others are way higher than what I'm trying to achieve. Way less work than maxing out an is20 file. Lol

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
I went back to the shop because my buddy wanted to show me the damage from the clutch pack.
Screenshot_20220308-142932_Photos.jpg

As stated before retaining clip broke and some of the teeth sheared off. Too much powah I guess..💪💪

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Sorry, I totally missed this.. I say no, but I always said I'd never get a hybrid turbo..😅