GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6.75 speaker adapter rings needed

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
For those who upgraded their door mids, which speaker adapter ring did you use? I could cut mdf rings if i had time but I'm trying to get something close to the same height as factory. That would make 2 rings per speaker. They need to have 5.7 inches open for the drivers. Suggestions?

nonoabby123

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
If you were not going to reuse rivets, I'd recommend any of the 1 inch universal adapters for 6.5 speakers.

The 4 door holes seem to be standard spacing with any aftermarket speakers.

Avoid the VW Tiguan 6.5 adapter that's available. It's too tall and even after trimming the door card to fit it, it still touches against the panel causing bad rattles.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Hey Adurm what did you end up going with and what thickness? I will most likely go with MDF, I have some 5/8 lying around but I also will be purchasing 3/4inch for my sub box - I have router table so no issue for me to make different diameters, also will coat them after completion in truck bed liner paint to be sure they don't take on any moisture. However, if there is an easier solution available to me that isn<t costly I may go that route

thanks,

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I just got some 3/4 mdf spacers from ebay. I think they were around $15. Which is pricey for what they are but it saves me at least 30 minutes of work and cleanup. The factory ones are about 1.5 inch high but i was afraid of hitting the door so I'm not stacking two of the 3/4. I have some 1/2 inch left over mdf rings to stack with the 3/4. I've got a glassed box that fits in the spare tire I've gotta adjust to fit the gsw. They way i still have all that trunk space.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
I just got some 3/4 mdf spacers from ebay. I think they were around $15. Which is pricey for what they are but it saves me at least 30 minutes of work and cleanup. The factory ones are about 1.5 inch high but i was afraid of hitting the door so I'm not stacking two of the 3/4. I have some 1/2 inch left over mdf rings to stack with the 3/4. I've got a glassed box that fits in the spare tire I've gotta adjust to fit the gsw. They way i still have all that trunk space.
Nice! I’ll make myself some spacers using 3/4mdf rings along with 5/8mdf rings, shouldn’t cost me very much with my workshop setup!
As for the trunk, I feel you in terms of keeping space . I’m also going for a full stealth build with this one, so everything under the floor. I won’t be fiberglassing as it’s messy process and still pretty expensive vs some intricate MDF cuts. Since I have an R model, there is less depth under trunk floor - I chose to go with two low profile Pioneer subs -TS-Z10LS4 model. Not many reviews on them yet but I got them for a pretty good deal versus other hi-quality subs like JL etc, plus they match perfectly the amount of box volume I can get away with under the floor. Can’t wait to get my car back so I can get started!

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
It's going to be a great setup. They'll perform just fine with the right power and box.

Ps, fiberglass sucks to work with. Never again.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
It's going to be a great setup. They'll perform just fine with the right power and box.

Ps, fiberglass sucks to work with. Never again.
Haha thanks for sharing! And confirming that I’ll take the long route and stick with more complex MDF router-ing lmao

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Should have cut out the old stock speaker and used that ring
If you are replacing the OEM speakers then the new speakers won't fit 90% of the time since they're generally larger and more powerful. Also most people want to conserve the OEM rings if ever they want to return vehicle to stock, so I would suggest avoiding cutting OEM rings.