GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4 inch scratch on wheel

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
So I take my 2018 GTI autobahn into the shop to have my snow tires changed to my summers. I only have one set of wheels and so they had to change over.

When I washed the car two days later I noticed the scratch. Fairly deep and fresh. This will be the first scratch on the car since I bought it new. Lots of wax on this baby, and only hand washed with two buckets.

I went back to the shop, and am waiting for the manager to phone me. What do you think the outcome of this should be. What is fair?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I take my 2018 GTI autobahn into the shop to have my snow tires changed to my summers. I only have one set of wheels and so they had to change over.

When I washed the car two days later I noticed the scratch. Fairly deep and fresh. This will be the first scratch on the car since I bought it new. Lots of wax on this baby, and only hand washed with two buckets.

I went back to the shop, and am waiting for the manager to phone me. What do you think the outcome of this should be. What is fair?

I'd anticipate the outcome being them going "We didn't do it", and just end up being a complete waste of time.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Most dealers, most, will usually do a walk around and note damage. Ask for the report. They will likely either deny they did it, or they will agree to have it repaired. They will probably not replace it. Most repairs I have seen are subpar in my opinion. If you can, do your best to be calm and pleasant with whom ever you deal with. You will get further than being accusatory or angry. Maybe try and find a rim repair facility that does good work near you and see if they will be willing to foot the bill.

You didn’t mention your overall relationship with the dealer, did you buy the car there? Do you get regular service there? That will help showing you’re a good a loyal customer.

I have dealt with customers in similar situations, while the ones who were angry and accusatory, got what they wanted, when it came to other considerations in the future there wasn’t any. Meanwhile, the ones who were understanding of mistakes and worked with us to get the issue resolved when they had other issues in the future, we were more than happy to accommodate them.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
The shop was strictly tires and brakes, not a VW dealership. I am a long time customer. One of the staff was very polite, as was I , took a picture, and then said the manager would give me a call, and take care of me. I understand mistakes happen. I get it. Getting angry would be playing a losing game.

I know there are rim shops that will restore the whole wheel with paint? Powder coat? Not sure what the technology is. But, I doubt it would look as good as a new wheel, or be as durable. I don't know. I can't see them replacing it, so that would leave some cash compensation, I suppose. Geez.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
This just happened to me at a nationwide tire outlet that sells wheels as well. I thought I'd be safe there as I bought the tires along with mounting and balancing from them. My wheels were freshly powdercoated at a shop about 90 miles away. They tore up the powdercoating on one wheel before I had them stop. They slowed down, took their time, and finished the other three without incident. The shop should have insurance to cover things like this, so press for whatever outcome you want. I ended up having a local powdercoater match the exact powder number and redo the torn up wheel. It looks just like all the others. But of course, when they remounted the tire, they tore up the back side of the wheel on the rim edge.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
The shop was strictly tires and brakes, not a VW dealership. I am a long time customer. One of the staff was very polite, as was I , took a picture, and then said the manager would give me a call, and take care of me. I understand mistakes happen. I get it. Getting angry would be playing a losing game.

I know there are rim shops that will restore the whole wheel with paint? Powder coat? Not sure what the technology is. But, I doubt it would look as good as a new wheel, or be as durable. I don't know. I can't see them replacing it, so that would leave some cash compensation, I suppose. Geez.
Ah gotcha. It sounds like you did everything right.

I believe it’s all lacquer paint but I’m not 100% on that. A quality repair shop will be able to fix and match the diamond cut and clear and won’t be noticeable at all. Hopefully you can work out a compromise everyone is happy with. It’s situations like this that got me into this business. I don’t trust anyone to touch my car.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
This is mostly unavoidable if you constantly mount and demount tires every year. Not to mention, the bead on the tires will slowly get damaged and you may start running into air leaks over time depending how many times you remount a tire.
It is a much better idea to get a second set of wheels and then you just swap out the wheels every season. You can get a complete set of 17" or 18" Wheels cheap on the For Sale forum here. I got a set of 18" GTI wheels I use for my winter/snows.
I had a VW dealer chew up a wheel when swapping out tires and they tried the repair route and it looked horrible. Eventually they replaced the wheel after I complained.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
^ this. look for take-offs on this (or the competition) site, CL, or FB. Tires with wheels don't use any more storage space than just tires.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Swapping out makes perfect sense. I have to admit that I have been struggling financially to make this decision(I am an OCD bean counter), but I don't want to have to deal with this emotionally twice a year.

Coach Beard

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Get it repaired and see if they'll reimburse you for the cost. Otherwise, take the L and find a new shop next time. It's a bummer but it does happen.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Yes, still waiting for the manager to phone, but I am not stressed by it. I phoned the VW dealer here, and the parts department wants to sell me a new set of black 18" Pretorias. I was thinking of running with these, and use the Miltons(I think that is the name of the wheel on there now) for the winter. We don't get a lot of snow, or ice here. So, that should be fine. I just have to come out of retirement, and get a job to pay for them! Geez.:(