GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4 Channel Amp Installation help

rpps

I just installed a Pioneer 4 channel amp to my Golf 90TSI, I tapped into the speaker wire down under the trim of the door sills I didn't use RCA's. With a lot of mucking around I got battery power but to find an accessory feed for the amps remote on was and still is a challenge. I ended up using a piggy back fuse and used the Infotainment fuse on the fuse box I would like to know if there is a better option . The Amp makes a huge difference to the sound of the factory head unit but I have one problem. When I turn off the ignition and get out of the car then shut the door after a few seconds I hear a pretty loud thump through the speakers, the same thing happens when I first unlock and open the door, after a few seconds I hear a thump through the speakers even though the keys aren't in the ignition. I'm at lost at what's causing this thump through the speakers if I can't solve it I will have to remove the Amp. Any help appreciated.

dayyaan99

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi would recommend using the rca output device. As I have that connected to my infotainment and I don't have the problem you have, it could be that just a suggestion

rpps

Thanks for the suggestion's, when the car is turned on and I'm driving I hear no hiss or noise from the set-up at all. I have wired many of my previous cars like this with no problem. The thump through the speakers seems to be only after I turn and remove the key after a delay you hear this sound. To find an accessory wire for the remote power on is almost impossible I thought of the cigarette lighter but trying to get into that easily is impossible. Two areas I must investigate is making sure I have a good earth and I will use a bigger gauge wire for the remote power on.

tallgeese

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the suggestion's, when the car is turned on and I'm driving I hear no hiss or noise from the set-up at all. I have wired many of my previous cars like this with no problem. The thump through the speakers seems to be only after I turn and remove the key after a delay you hear this sound. To find an accessory wire for the remote power on is almost impossible I thought of the cigarette lighter but trying to get into that easily is impossible. Two areas I must investigate is making sure I have a good earth and I will use a bigger gauge wire for the remote power on.

VW doesn't have ACC.

rpps

Then you can tap into 12v outlet in the boot (as I did) so your amp will turn on with ignition.

I have the base model Golf and here in Australia there's no 12 v outlet, just thinking maybe the wiring is there somewhere. What side of the boot is your outlet as I might remove the lining of the boot and look for the wiring.
I had a bit of luck I turned down the gain on the Amp now it's just up about under a quarter. I get no thump when I open or close the door only when I initially turn the key on I get two quick thuds through the speakers.

Zach L

VR junkie
You can use the 12v outlet in the front of the car too. Just make sure it's only on when ignition is turned on.

Use a line output convertor (LOC) behind the radio in the dash to maybe help with sound quality. Run the speaker wire coming out the back of the radio to the LOC immediately, then run the RCA lines through the car wherever you need them to reach the amplifier.

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
It's on the right side

rpps

You can use the 12v outlet in the front of the car too. Just make sure it's only on when ignition is turned on.

Use a line output convertor (LOC) behind the radio in the dash to maybe help with sound quality. Run the speaker wire coming out the back of the radio to the LOC immediately, then run the RCA lines through the car wherever you need them to reach the amplifier.
The only 12V outlet in the front is the cigarette lighter and to remove the centre console would be a pain. The Pioneer has line level input from the speaker wires I don't won't to pull all that work out to put in a LOC plus I'm getting no interference or noise when the cars actually going.

rpps

It's on the right side

Thanks for that, I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring isn't there. I think the noise I'm hearing is because I have the accessories wire mounted piggy backed onto the Infotainment Fuse. I have noticed there is a delay before the readout on the dash actually goes out when key is removed and that's the point where I here the two thumps coming through the speakers. The amp running the stock speakers sounds really good much better sound with decent amplification .

chid

Ready to race!
buy an LC2i, it doesn't need the remote wire, it senses when you start the HU and starts the amp and when you shut it off, it also shuts off the amp.
works great!

rpps

buy an LC2i, it doesn't need the remote wire, it senses when you start the HU and starts the amp and when you shut it off, it also shuts off the amp.
works great!
That system sounds good not having to deal with a remote power on for the amp, not sure if you can get them here in Australia but I have read that Kenwood Amps have Auto power on as soon as the Amp receives a signal from the HU. It might be my next step as I have checked all my wiring and I can't work out what's causing these three short thumps through my speakers.