GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

360hp kid hauler gets a long-awaited front sway bar upgrade... (detailed review & FSB database inside)

Nitro

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I disagree, if a person has the skills to install coilovers, doing the EuroSport install isn’t that scary.

I’d buy the assembled kit for the easy button factor, but seriously drilling them out was simple.

With my setup of the Bilstein coils, offset bushings, and Eurosport kit, I’ve been able to net -2.5° on the camber. The Eurosport alone gave me -2.3° with zero NVH. But there’s so many variables between cars and setups…
How have your eurosports been? Do you also find they are quiet?

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Thank you for all of the feedback. It does help on the mod journey. This forum and its members are great for that. I will be having my KW v3's installed by professionals. The v3's do not have adjustable top hats, which is why I asked about the Eurosports. I have seen feedback that they wear out quick on the track, but mine is street driven.
Guess I'll be the first to know (regarding how they handle track abuse) come 5/10. But there are no curbs at HHR where I race, and I don't like using the curbs on tracks that have them, unless I'm in a rented track car. Then all bets are off... 🙃 😎 👌

A lot of strut mount failures I observe on cars (of all makes) come from poor driving habits and repeated impacts from speed bumps, pot holes, etc.

But these EuroSport mounts are definitely an experiment for me to test.

The way the integrate into the factory molding was nothing shy of impressive. It's a fit so tight I needed soapy water, some Barry White music, and a 48oz dead blow to fully seat each of the two steel halves 60% of the way in. I then used the included bolt to fully enclose the two halves of the puck together.

The way the E-S system uses both the strut nut AND the little 8mm bolt to hold the two halves together? It's pretty brilliant, if I'm honest.
1681917722304.png
I just wish they'd included a professional grade drill bit instead of the brass French tickler they chose to use.

Anyway, back to shameless self-promotion:

Next SCCA Track Night 5/10/23.

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/2002786-track-night-2023-harris-hill-raceway-may-10

Mark your calendars, friends.

The little white Escape Hatch, fueled by hopes & dreams, goes to WAR against a pack of pricey BMWs with 50% more displacement and the correct wheels being powered...

Will you cheer for me if I promise not to embarrass the platform? 👀 😎 🙃

1681917665000.png

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've had the EuroSport mounts (did the complete ones so includes the OE mount) about a year ago - so far so good. No noise.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
1681923064998.png

VIR is Adam's home basketball court, and it's a legendary track.

If his GSW can do well there on E-S mounts, then I feel even better about my decision.

1681923156558.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
My car, over the 91K/4.5 years I've had it, has never had any suspension/chassis noises with all the mods I have. Most issues folks have are going to be install error.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I disagree, if a person has the skills to install coilovers, doing the EuroSport install isn’t that scary.

I’d buy the assembled kit for the easy button factor, but seriously drilling them out was simple.

With my setup of the Bilstein coils, offset bushings, and Eurosport kit, I’ve been able to net -2.5° on the camber. The Eurosport alone gave me -2.3° with zero NVH. But there’s so many variables between cars and setups…
Thank you for putting this out there. I suspect the drill bits I had (brand new) were not sharp enough or sufficiently high quality for this job.

Follow-ups:

1) Any chance you remember the make and model of bit you used to drill your old mounts out?

2) And are you running the B14s, or B16s?

Would love to read a review from you on them if you have one available somewhere. I like those kits because they retain the OE mounts for better isolation.

Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Thank you for putting this out there. I suspect the drill bits I had (brand new) were not sharp enough or sufficiently high quality for this job.

Follow-ups:

1) Any chance you remember the make and model of bit you used to drill your old mounts out?

2) And are you running the B14s, or B16s?

Would love to read a review from you on them if you have one available somewhere. I like those kits because they retain the OE mounts for better isolation.

Whatever came with the kit is what I used, both on my initial install and then when I bought new mounts for my coilover install. I also have the B16 damptronic kit. I don't have a review, one because I don't have the gift of eloquent words to be able to describe compliant, supple, reactive, or whatever gamut of crafty words people throw out there when describing their suspension.

I autocross my car heavily in STU, wanted to keep the DCC, and didn't want to tip the balance of my car into the race car category. I still like to drive my car as much as I can during the week, and wanted to maintain my comfort in that aspect.

Aside from national level events, my car is setup nicely for regional events, and I can still drive a dozen eggs home with my groceries without breaking them.

I don't have noises, clanks, or rattles. The only NVH I really noticed was when I added the powerflex bushings in the LCA and RTA. But that's minor for my comfort.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Whatever came with the kit is what I used, both on my initial install and then when I bought new mounts for my coilover install. I also have the B16 damptronic kit. I don't have a review, one because I don't have the gift of eloquent words to be able to describe compliant, supple, reactive, or whatever gamut of crafty words people throw out there when describing their suspension.

I autocross my car heavily in STU, wanted to keep the DCC, and didn't want to tip the balance of my car into the race car category. I still like to drive my car as much as I can during the week, and wanted to maintain my comfort in that aspect.

Aside from national level events, my car is setup nicely for regional events, and I can still drive a dozen eggs home with my groceries without breaking them.

I don't have noises, clanks, or rattles. The only NVH I really noticed was when I added the powerflex bushings in the LCA and RTA. But that's minor for my comfort.
Bilstein B16s AND adaptive damper function retained? 🍻 ❤️ 👌 Faultless.

1681941074973.png

I hope to hear from more people running the coilovers that retain DCC function.

I imagine it makes these cars feel $10-20k more premium than their price point, not to mention the civility for normal, chopped public pavement.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
4/24/23 - short amendment:

I took out a friend (who loves/owns Porsches and BMWs) to one of the nice driving roads we've used in my car clubs many times. Essentially a large, well paved canyon road overlooking a lake, with very good visibility, and almost no other cars on a Sunday. Friend rode shotgun and helped navigate.

I distinctly remember white knuckling that road on previous outings in the GTI, because a lot of the sweepers are very long, and you're doing 80-100 through them. Previous = RSB, stock springs and stock FSB. In that setup, the rear stayed planted on the car. The front had lots of pitch and roll. It felt "bleh". 😒

Yesterday with the H&R springs and FSB, there was zero concern/hesitation taking the corners faster and faster. The dual bars kept everything under control.

My only hesitation was the 56* ambient temps (unusual for TX this time of year). The Michelins require a bit of heat to stick and shine, but they never slipped or squealed yesterday.

Having driven it at this pace with both setups (before and after FSB), I honestly suspect that with just the RSB, the car had enough body movement to LIFT the inside rear tire (like a dog lifting its leg to pee), and making the rear end more prone to sliding/stepping out due to reduced tire contact.

1682356563500.png

With only the RSB, I've had the @$$ come around a bit on me on a few colder outings (different roads), and it made me wear my brown pants.

Repasting the supreme image below. This is 100% accurate with describing how the car felt before and after the FSB upgrade. 🙃 ❤️ 🍻

Enjoy. 👌

1682356479682.png

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Do you have a copy of the eurosport install doc? Bought a set of inserts used and want to make sure I'm doing it rite
I do! Shoot me a DM and I’ll get it to you. 👌

MK7Rv3

Car(s)
8VS3
I also wanted to ask; I am running MSS kit and the front feels really soft and floaty around the canyons. However as a daily, in terms of commuting, these are the best springs I’ve had. I was considering two options.

1. Swap the springs with something stiffer

2. FSB and keep the springs

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Nice write up! I wonder if a FSB would have the same improvements on an AWD/Audi S3 (smaller body profile)
Honestly, I suspect it would. The S3 *should have* the same 24mm FSB as the Golf R in stock form. Someone here might confirm this.

Tigeo and others have a ~3250lb GSW with 4-motion, and their cars do extremely well with matching front and rear bars.

The S3/R are ~200lbs heavier than the GTI from the 4-Motion components. More weight = more unwanted body motion (all other suspension parts being equal).

It would be nice to have some Golf R folk chime in.

As for my little Mk7 shop car, I took Storm and a close friend out for a fast drive on LCR today (our local hot canyon road):

Road was completely empty. Temps were 91*. 🥵 🤢

But that meant tire and asphalt temps were warm and sticky. Car never slid, lost its grip nor its composure, despite COOKING at a very spirited pace. 💪 🏎

I cannot say enough good things about this H&R 28mm FSB + the EuroSport camber mounts. They provide the insane front end grip and motion control this car craves from the factory.

Eliminating unwanted roll allows me to feel confident in the chassis once again.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 477695A2-BA42-47CA-9D30-F9E8B9EF4C87.jpeg
    477695A2-BA42-47CA-9D30-F9E8B9EF4C87.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35