GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'21 GTI Impressions, Hits, & Misses

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
I will never understand why folks automatically demonize anything made in China. Yes, China has soft laws when it comes to copyright and you can get allot of knockoffs being made, but they also make some really good legit stuff. They have a huge workforce and the global economy uses said workforce to prosper. Don't blame China because big corporations choose to send the jobs over there to improve their bottom line and increase their stock value. It's the American way.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I will never understand why folks automatically demonize anything made in China. Yes, China has soft laws when it comes to copyright and you can get allot of knockoffs being made, but they also make some really good legit stuff. They have a huge workforce and the global economy uses said workforce to prosper. Don't blame China because big corporations choose to send the jobs over there to improve their bottom line and increase their stock value. It's the American way.
Human rights, mostly. Fake islands, Uighurs, Tibet, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc. This message brought to you from a Foxconn iPhone, of course.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Human rights, mostly. Fake islands, Uighurs, Tibet, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc. This message brought to you from a Foxconn iPhone, of course.
Yeah, I get all of that. Really never understood where it was our place to police the rest of the world either. We cause ourselves so many problems when we do. So America does not like the way the government treats their people, but American corps are pretty damn happy to have said people build their shit on the cheap!!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I thought the wipers tucked under the hood a tad was purely for aesthetics. Who wants to really see wipers in the front if they're not in use? With that note though, I could of swore they tucked deeper on the mk6 than the 7 but I could be wrong.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, I get all of that. Really never understood where it was our place to police the rest of the world either. We cause ourselves so many problems when we do. So America does not like the way the government treats their people, but American corps are pretty damn happy to have said people build their shit on the cheap!!
I didn't say anyone needed to police things. China's free to be an asshole, just as I'm free to choose to buy things from Albania (or anywhere else) instead of China. I tend to avoid companies that offshore most or all of their production to China. Clothing is one area that's relatively easy to just avoid China altogether. Many of my hobbies, denim, knives, audio, bicycles, etc. have many choices that allow you not to buy Chinese made goods, and I do my best to avoid them, even when it costs more to do so.

It's not always possible, many electronics are locked into China and can't be avoided, hence my Foxconn joke. But where possible, given two similar choices, I will always choose "other" over China. My taste buds don't like Colombian coffee, and I will buy beans from nearly anywhere (except Peru) before I buy Colombian beans. I don't like the way they taste. I don't like the politics of China. It's that simple.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
1635013353532.png

Back to our regularly scheduled programming:

That sunglass holder in the upper console... LOL. I don't think I've ever owned a pair of shades small enough to fit in there and get the lid closed.

Big miss by my selling dealer; they somehow missed removing the shipping puck on one side. The dealer that did my 15K maintenance and mounted my new tires took it out and mentioned it. The front end is now obviously softer and much quieter. The mild harshness over sharp speed bumps and construction joints is just completely gone.

With that fixed I like the DCC even more, but I'm also pretty sure that I could lower it a little and still be happy.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I'm a little annoyed that Rabbit Edition didn't come with DCC in US, but I'm really liking the konis.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Give me acres of it over faux (or real) carbon.

If those were the only two choices, I agree. Piano black > carbon fauxber. Fake is gross.

Real carbon fibre is beautiful, but gauche and tacky all at once. It's like wearing a gold necklace outside a Gucci t-shirt. It's an ugly price to pay for saving 165g on dash trims.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I miss the body colored trim in my NC Club.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Why are the stock wipers awful? Mines are dead quiet and does an amazing job cleaning the glass.
They were streakier than the wipers on the '91 Lada Niva I used to have. Big wide wet streaks, little narrow strips... those wipers did it all from day 1. The first few months I checked over and over because I was sure something was stuck to the edge of the blade.

A new pair of Bosch are perfect.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
View attachment 228703

Back to our regularly scheduled programming:

That sunglass holder in the upper console... LOL. I don't think I've ever owned a pair of shades small enough to fit in there and get the lid closed.

Big miss by my selling dealer; they somehow missed removing the shipping puck on one side. The dealer that did my 15K maintenance and mounted my new tires took it out and mentioned it. The front end is now obviously softer and much quieter. The mild harshness over sharp speed bumps and construction joints is just completely gone.

With that fixed I like the DCC even more, but I'm also pretty sure that I could lower it a little and still be happy.
Man I put my Oakley Radarlocks in there and am able to close it. How big sunglasses do you wear?