GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2024 R

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The steering wheel is real leather, but the perforations are more of a dimple than an actual perforation. I’ve had both, the mk8 wheel stays a lot cleaner and still has better grip than a smooth wheel. I like it more than the Mk7 wheel, and while it’s still not round, it’s closer, which I really prefer.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My experience is any car under around 100k more than likely has fake leather. This is especially true with the larger surface areas such as the seats.
Cheap cars have limited amounts of cheap, waxed leather amidst a sea of vinyl. The seat fronts are leather, but the sides and backs are vinyl. My M Coupe had semi-aniline leather that smelled great for the 14 years I had it. Probably one of the cheapest cars I can think of that came with nice leather.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
The screens on the VW look really cheap, specially compared to the Audi..... the blacks are super washed out and look almost grey..... why bother with screens if its going to look so bad.
Owning a Mk8 and having sat in a A3 (not a S3 to be fair) the screens in terms of resolution and colors are completely indistinguishable in person. This comparison is really just some unflattering interior lighting on the GTI picture. They only thing to back me up here is my ass, but for the center stack screen in particular I'd be floored if it wasn't the same panel.

Also FWIW the wheel in terms of the material itself, shape, and feel are a massive step up from my Mk7 wheel. It's genuinely the single best interior improvement VW made over the Mk7 in my opinion.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The shifter assembly is also hugely improved. I don’t really know what changed, but it’s much nicer than my Mk7 and Mk7.5 and even stock, less the CDV, feels better than my Mk7.5 with the OE short shifter, brass bushings and Super Pin.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My experience is any car under around 100k more than likely has fake leather. This is especially true with the larger surface areas such as the seats.

At least the middle of the R's seats are real leather. I've been in cars with all real leather but never owned one myself. Years ago, I looked at a car I liked but it had Alcantara seats. I didn't even know it was fake, I just don't like suede. And I was too young to know what Naugahyde was. It seemed the custom car builders in the 60's liked it and I understand it's very durable, but even today I don't see that listed as an attribute. Merecedes still seems to offer their fake leather. Never liked that either, too hard.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
And I guess everyone knows the 2024's are available. I looked on VW's website and it's only available in lapiz, black, and white. The only white one listed in my area was a manual.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
At least the middle of the R's seats are real leather. I've been in cars with all real leather but never owned one myself. Years ago, I looked at a car I liked but it had Alcantara seats. I didn't even know it was fake, I just don't like suede. And I was too young to know what Naugahyde was. It seemed the custom car builders in the 60's liked it and I understand it's very durable, but even today I don't see that listed as an attribute. Merecedes still seems to offer their fake leather. Never liked that either, too hard.
My dad has a bunch of 30+ year old Mercedes. The ones with leather look tired, the ones with MB Tex look like new.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The screens on the VW look really cheap, specially compared to the Audi..... the blacks are super washed out and look almost grey..... why bother with screens if its going to look so bad.
If the screen sizes are the same, it's almost a given that both cars use the same components--especially with the belt tightening following "Dieselgate" VW has been trying to share as many components across all of its corporate platforms as possible. And while black levels can be a programming choice, more likely what you're seeing is a difference in viewing angles which can alter the contrast considerably.

I wished they still offered analogue gauges, the needle sweep is awesome, even after owning it for 5y, cant get enough of it....
I feel the exact same way.

The way the center screen floats and integrates with the dashboard on the MK8 is also cheap,
Boy, do I hate this current styling trend. Unfortunately, one finds this on almost every new car. To me, it comes off as either a design afterthought, an attempt at looking like a "modern" iPad display, or both. Surveys have shown that consumers prefer displays integrated into the dash. Beyond aesthetics, placing flat panel displays within the dash allows for the addition of some type of integrated overhang to minimize screen glare from the windshield.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The screen in my Mk8 is much easier to read than my Mk7.5 and much, much better at not getting washed out with glare. I don’t like the idea of a bigger screen though as the Mk8 one doesn’t obstruct my view at all, but making it larger would almost certainly do so.

As for digital gauges, I still prefer Porsche’s design of an analog tech with digital on both sides. Being able to always display oil and coolant temp in the central gauges is a nice improvement and nav data works great too, even in the HUD when using CarPlay.