GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Audi RS3

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Just thought I would post, seeing who might be jumping ship in the next few years to the next logical step up if sticking with a 'compact'?
I think other cars on the short lists are probably along the lines of M2? Not sure what else without getting into something bigger nowadays

I miss my Torsen'd Audi's of old, and this is the closest new Audi I would buy with a S5 / RS5 Sportback being a hard sell to my wife due to size that we both don't want.

https://www.motor1.com/news/515470/2022-audi-rs3-inline-5/
https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/2022-audi-rs3-with-rear-torque-splitter-for-controlled-drifts/
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/21/2022-audi-rs3-engine-power-differential-reveal

Plenty of youtube out there too, one of the more interesting ones

Official release is in July, so maybe we can have more information on some of the extra magic under the hood, along with final interior and exterior revealed.

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
If you can live with a relatively small trunk, and a bit less headroom in the back, I'd say go for it. I would, in a heartbeat, if not for those aspects, which are deal-killers for me.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
If you can live with a relatively small trunk, and a bit less headroom in the back, I'd say go for it. I would, in a heartbeat, if not for those aspects, which are deal-killers for me.

ya if only the Sportback...lol this would make it a no brainer. Sadly I doubt we have a shot at it. Mercedes got at least up to an A35 AMG here in Canada - which is essentially a 'newer' MK7 Golf R.

fast16

Passed Driver's Ed
Definitely feels like the most logical thing next after the Golf R and also if you want to stay in the VAG family.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I've been waiting.... patiently.... and will be ordering one as soon as Audi lets me. I thought about keeping my GTI, but... meh, it'll be a trade.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I've been waiting.... patiently.... and will be ordering one as soon as Audi lets me. I thought about keeping my GTI, but... meh, it'll be a trade.
ya I got 'lucky' that my wife loves cars and loved my B8 S4, her Subaru slowly is showing its age. Since both cars are paid off, I work from home so she can choose whichever (R or RS) for work. So figure grab that, even if its a 3 yr lease then decide which one we keep, when we get her the EV she wants (selection still kind of sucks)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
ya I got 'lucky' that my wife loves cars and loved my B8 S4, her Subaru slowly is showing its age. Since both cars are paid off, I work from home so she can choose whichever (R or RS) for work. So figure grab that, even if its a 3 yr lease then decide which one we keep, when we get her the EV she wants (selection still kind of sucks)
Man, we're in the same spot, Q5 lease is up and not sure what to get. S3 or RS3 would be nice, but they're not here yet. S4 is really old and looks and feels it., RS5 is similar, but obviously a better motor, but the wife hates the Sportback and doesn't want a coupe. Q6 eTron is replacing the current one soon, it already seems that they've slowed or stopped production of the non Sportback. The Q4 eTron is supposed to be out in the third quarter. This is when it would be nice if the M3 hadn't just grown a monstrous set of beaver teeth...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Apparently it’ll have that new awd set up that the golf r will also get. Though, the focus RS has had it first years ago. But whatever. It’s progress

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Apparently it’ll have that new awd set up that the golf r will also get. Though, the focus RS has had it first years ago. But whatever. It’s progress
I am curious how cooling on the rear diff works, RS's had overheating issues, especially in Drift mode. I'm guessing nothing was done to improve things.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I am curious how cooling on the rear diff works, RS's had overheating issues, especially in Drift mode. I'm guessing nothing was done to improve things.
Could be a combination of cooling vanes on the diff and less aggressive programming (compared to the RS)?

I doubt vw is gonna give the rear diff it’s own heat exchanger up front. That seems like over kill.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Could be a combination of cooling vanes on the diff and less aggressive programming (compared to the RS)?

I doubt vw is gonna give the rear diff it’s own heat exchanger up front. That seems like over kill.
Or the ever popular Clutch Blowout Method, substituted for the Crank Walk for Everyone option if you upgrade the clutch.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

It's a re-developed version that is WAY better (TBD honestly, Audi Sport likes to paint themselves in bright colors) than the Golf R version :) Audi got approval from Volkswagen to not only use it, but iterate on it.

You're considering LEASING a RS3? That's not a great idea... They will not lease well :(

And by not lease well I mean, the MF will be high, the residual will not be favorable, there will be no incentives and you will be handing back a car (after you pay a high interest rate over the course of your lease) to Audi that is worth more than the residual (so you'll likely buy it?). If you buy it all cash, you paid a higher interest rate on the lease vs a finance deal. If you finance the remainder, used car loans are higher interest rates than new... you're out again.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It's a re-developed version that is WAY better (TBD honestly, Audi Sport likes to paint themselves in bright colors) than the Golf R version :) Audi got approval from Volkswagen to not only use it, but iterate on it.

You're considering LEASING a RS3? That's not a great idea... They will not lease well :(

And by not lease well I mean, the MF will be high, the residual will not be favorable, there will be no incentives and you will be handing back a car (after you pay a high interest rate over the course of your lease) to Audi that is worth more than the residual (so you'll likely buy it?). If you buy it all cash, you paid a higher interest rate on the lease. If you finance the remainder, used car loans are higher than new... you're out again.
Probably slightly stronger components with different programming

it’s interesting to see how the R’s haldex compared to the s3’s. The s3 always seemed more eager to put power to the rear in dynamic mode vs the R in Race mode.

since the wheelbase on the r and s3 are identical, and them being mechanically twins. It seems like the software was the biggest differentiator.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Probably slightly stronger components with different programming

it’s interesting to see how the R’s haldex compared to the s3’s. The s3 always seemed more eager to put power to the rear in dynamic mode vs the R in Race mode.

since the wheelbase on the r and s3 are identical, and them being mechanically twins. It seems like the software was the biggest differentiator.

Certainly from a programming perspective, I believe Audi will have it dialed the fuck in.

I have high hopes, but I'm not holding my breathe. Time will tell!