Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I went from 6MT to a 7DSG recently and kinda feeling the same. Come spring time though I'm probably going to get a TCU tune as I've read it solves the slushy/slower shift issues that I've noticed. Hopefully a tune is the answer for you as well

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I went from 6MT to a 7DSG recently and kinda feeling the same. Come spring time though I'm probably going to get a TCU tune as I've read it solves the slushy/slower shift issues that I've noticed. Hopefully a tune is the answer for you as well

Definitely. Just don’t go Unitronic lol.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
LOL my dealer whom I believe is mod friendly is also a unitronic dealer and that's exactly where I was headed. Can I ask why you say stay away from them?

My dealer is mod friendly also but that won't help you if you suffer a powertrain related warranty problem. For tuners Cobb with EQT seems to be the most popular choice.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Mine farts. Though now that it’s been getting colder it hardly does it now. But when it does I can barely hear it. The car is pretty well insulated. But folks on the street and in other cars, they tell me it’s loud as shit.

have someone record you on a street corner while you rip the car up and down in s mode?

also I have a muffler delete. And I did it the second day I had the car. Car had like 20 miles. So honestly I’m not sure what a stock one should sound like.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
LOL my dealer whom I believe is mod friendly is also a unitronic dealer and that's exactly where I was headed. Can I ask why you say stay away from them?

If you like power, Unitronic’s tunes are just too tame. I’m a very OEM+ guy, and it was too stock for me. No improved throttle response or ramping, just progressively increased power which really doesn’t make for an exciting tune

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If you like power, Unitronic’s tunes are just too tame. I’m a very OEM+ guy, and it was too stock for me. No improved throttle response or ramping, just progressively increased power which really doesn’t make for an exciting tune
That’s crazy. Your not the first to say that. Folks I’ve met here prefer the accessport with a custom pro tuned, but also recommend apr for an ots tune

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
That’s crazy. Your not the first to say that. Folks I’ve met here prefer the accessport with a custom pro tuned, but also recommend apr for an ots tune

yeah I really messed up not taking advantage of their 30-day money back. Kicking myself for it. This was last year when I tuned my 2015 DSG GTI.

both the TCU and ECU tunes were underwhelming, but if it was one of them it was the TCU tune. It was basically robbery - smoke and mirrors. There are more aspects of the tune that behave identically to stock than there are aspects of the tune that behave differently from stock. The main things I noticed were gear display on the MFD in D and S, improved WOT shift points, and improved response to WOT pedal mashes. Otherwise - in all partial throttle situations (aka 95-99% of driving situations), it felt and drove 90% like it did stock. waste of money.

And to lambast the ECU tune, like I mentioned above there’s no improved throttle response, nor increased throttle ramping, and seemingly little increased power whatsoever below 3K RPM. Certainly none below 2.

it’s just too stock. It’s a waste of money

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
yeah I really messed up not taking advantage of their 30-day money back. Kicking myself for it. This was last year when I tuned my 2015 DSG GTI.

both the TCU and ECU tunes were underwhelming, but if it was one of them it was the TCU tune. It was basically robbery - smoke and mirrors. There are more aspects of the tune that behave identically to stock than there are aspects of the tune that behave differently from stock. The main things I noticed were gear display on the MFD in D and S, improved WOT shift points, and improved response to WOT pedal mashes. Otherwise - in all partial throttle situations (aka 95-99% of driving situations), it felt and drove 90% like it did stock. waste of money.

And to lambast the ECU tune, like I mentioned above there’s no improved throttle response, nor increased throttle ramping, and seemingly little increased power whatsoever below 3K RPM. Certainly none below 2.

Sorry to hear that. My experience with apr stage 1 and dsg tune has been awesome so far. That car feels incredibly eager. Drive mode is a touch less lazy. While sport mode feels crazy special.

are you near Denver? If so come over and drive the gti? Maybe you’ll like it? If you’re near me dm me your #

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Sorry to hear that. My experience with apr stage 1 and dsg tune has been awesome so far. That car feels incredibly eager. Drive mode is a touch less lazy. While sport mode feels crazy special.

are you near Denver? If so come over and drive the gti? Maybe you’ll like it? If you’re near me dm me your #

lol so I have an Alltrack now and I got APR Plus on it. It woke it up the way the Unitronic tune didn’t: in partial throttle, low-mid RPM driving.

this one is also MT so no DSG tune to F with.

I plan on going to Colorado in the spring once COVID vaccines are decently well distributed. I’ll hit you up so we can take a quick ride! Maybe I’ll rent an Audi on Turo while I’m there and take you for a spin😁

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
lol so I have an Alltrack now and I got APR Plus on it. It woke it up the way the Unitronic tune didn’t: in partial throttle, low-mid RPM driving.

this one is also MT so no DSG tune to F with.

I plan on going to Colorado in the spring once COVID vaccines are decently well distributed. I’ll hit you up so we can take a quick ride! Maybe I’ll rent an Audi on Turo while I’m there and take you for a spin😁
Nice! I’ll be looking forward to it.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Oh shit thank you for the heads up. Ya, I'm definitely looking for the OEM+ feel with better shifting. I was thinking strictly a TCU tune with a JB4 thinking that TD1 would be less likely.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Can I ask why you say stay away from them?
If you like power, Unitronic’s tunes are just too tame.
both the TCU and ECU tunes were underwhelming,

I was stage 2+ Uni on both ECU and DSG and I can't emphasize this enough. I wasted SO much money rushing into this route. Save your money, do your research and if you're actually looking for power, look at some other avenues. A lot of us on the boards are EQT, sneeky, stratified, etc etc.....there are quite a few options.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Oh shit thank you for the heads up. Ya, I'm definitely looking for the OEM+ feel with better shifting. I was thinking strictly a TCU tune with a JB4 thinking that TD1 would be less likely.

go APR Plus.

you can get a GOOD, OEM+ ECU/TCU tune that effectively addresses all the things I didn’t like about the Uni tunes. instantaneous throttle response, snappier shifting for the DQ381 under all circumstances, progressive boost add beginning at 1.5K, and a nice “plus” is that it’s all entirely safe to run on 87 octane.

and you get a powertrain warranty that’s concurrent with your now-TD1’d VW warranty. It also won’t affect non-powertrain claims on your B2B warranty.

sure - it’s more money than JB1/4, but you unlock what I would consider to be a commensurate amount of additional value.

JB4 = $300-400 used/new. Cool. All it does is add power. Which is what I was saying is all Uni’s tune does. It doesn’t help with all the ~other~ aspects of responsiveness, throttle ramping, yada yada. Also JB units blind your engine, which makes it less able to correct for issues in extreme operating conditions (<0 Celsius, high humidity, >32 Celsius, etc etc).

Last edited: