GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf excessive wind noise

loopless

Passed Driver's Ed
My daughter just bought a 2020 CPO Golf at a great price with only 12K miles. Great car. Drives really well.
Still it has one annoying niggle.. compared to my 2018 GTI there is noticeable wind noise from both the passenger and driver doors at freeway speeds. The stealer said bring it in and we will leave it in the sun (??) for a few days (??). As if the car would not have settled in after 2 years and 12K miles. Idiots. A visual inspection of the door seals shows no anomalies. Any ideas where to start?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
My daughter just bought a 2020 CPO Golf at a great price with only 12K miles. Great car. Drives really well.
Still it has one annoying niggle.. compared to my 2018 GTI there is noticeable wind noise from both the passenger and driver doors at freeway speeds. The stealer said bring it in and we will leave it in the sun (??) for a few days (??). As if the car would not have settled in after 2 years and 12K miles. Idiots. A visual inspection of the door seals shows no anomalies. Any ideas where to start?
Check the rubber seals for tears/damage.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Also check alignment and fit of the doors and check for uniform panel gaps between the doors and adjacent panels. If they’re out, the doors may need adjusting / realigning.

A guy on the VW Polo forum recently had excessive wind noise from the driver’s door on their car, the issue was a poorly fitting rubber window seal around the window aperture in the door; not the seal around the window on the outside of the car but the one inside the cabin.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I had wind noise issues with my CPO GTI as well (2015 model). Dealership couldn't visually identify anything wrong with the trim or any panel gaps. I ended up just installing rain deflectors because they also help with the insane buffeting when the windows are down.

I don't know... I think VW didn't really optimize the Golf in the wind tunnel so well.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Hint: a length of hose held up to your ear while riding shotgun can help localize the source.

reset power windows by rolling them down then holding the up switch for a bit till they fully seat

Mud

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
You can also look for leaks by running hose over outside with someone in car. Start at bottom and work up.

CSB I had an Integra that I knew if I went to dealer and complained that it would whistle at speeds over 90 I would get laughed at. I was happy when I found a water leak in the windshield