GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Dealer Alignment $1000 whaaaaattt?

F1fletch

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Rabbit GTI
So I am in the process of getting my car lowered and the dealer is telling me it takes a special alignment because of the frontal collision sensors and it’s a 4-5 hour job that they charge 1k.

Please tell me I have other options.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

You have other options. Find a local indy frame & alignment shop. Some crusty old dude with a Pall Mall hanging off his lower lip that uses ancient Bear equipment who will charge a fraction of what these crooks want, and will actually do the job right.

Please out this stealership so that others can avoid them. Absolutely shameful.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Last edited:

F1fletch

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Rabbit GTI
Yeah, I need to price check. $600 is better than $1k but still, there must be some independent shops that have at least some of that equipment. I don‘t have adaptive cruise but the other systems rely on sensors that need to be calibrated.... ;(

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

You have other options. Find a local indy frame & alignment shop. Some crusty old dude with a Pall Mall hanging off his lower lip that uses ancient Bear equipment who will charge a fraction of what these crooks want, and will actually do the job right.

Please out this stealership so that others can avoid them. Absolutely shameful.

He definitely will need to get the forward collision camera calibrated. So he needs to find out if the indy shop can do that.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
If you don't have adaptive cruise/foward assist, you only need a basic alignment and should only $199 max or less, the service advisor you talked you was more than likely clueless and didn't care to look up your vin to give you a proper qoute. They were more than likely just quoting you the maximum price an alignment could be. I would look for a good indy shop and leave the d(st)ealership behind.

What trim level and options are on your 2019 GTI?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, I need to price check. $600 is better than $1k but still, there must be some independent shops that have at least some of that equipment. I don‘t have adaptive cruise but the other systems rely on sensors that need to be calibrated.... ;(

My dealer quoted $700 for that including calibrating the forward collision camera which will have to be done.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you don't have adaptive cruise, you only need a basic alignment and should only $199 max or less, the service advisor you talked you was more than likely clueless and didn't care to look up your vin to give you a proper qoute. They were more than likely just quoting you the maximum price an alignment could be.

He has forward collision braking so the front camera will need to be calibrated. You won't find a shop that does a 4 wheel alignment and calibrate the camera if they can even do that for that price.

F1fletch

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Rabbit GTI
If you don't have adaptive cruise/foward assist, you only need a basic alignment and should only $199 max or less, the service advisor you talked you was more than likely clueless and didn't care to look up your vin to give you a proper qoute. They were more than likely just quoting you the maximum price an alignment could be. I would look for a good indy shop and leave the d(st)ealership behind.

What trim level and options are on your 2019 GTI?
Rabbit

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
He has forward collision braking so the front camera will need to be calibrated.

Why so sure? If the car is lowered but the front/back height remains consistent with the drop, then he shouldn't need anything other than a standard wheel alignment. I'd certainly try that first before paying a dealer a king's ransom to screw around with some complicated calibration procedure that nobody probably even knows how to do properly. Hell, they'd probably just align it, drive it and see if there are any errors, and if not, slap it on the roof and return it with him, billed out at the original quote as if they did the fancy stuff.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why so sure? If the car is lowered but the front/back height remains consistent with the drop, then he shouldn't need anything other than a standard wheel alignment. I'd certainly try that first before paying a dealer a king's ransom to screw around with some complicated calibration procedure that nobody probably even knows how to do properly. Hell, they'd probably just align it, drive it and see if there are any errors, and if not, slap it on the roof and return it with him, billed out at the original quote as if they did the fancy stuff.

He'll find out if the forward collision warning is coming on a lot. Hopefully it's just the warning and not the full brake force that it applies if it thinks a collision is imminent. He could get rear ended if that happens.

SVTunit

Ready to race!
Just a heads up, I did my spring install by myself, but went to the dealer to get a 4 wheel alignment. The alignment itself was $159, but they charged me an extra $125 to align ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) sensor. This sensor is also used to control the automatic braking (Anti-collision) on my SE. It was a dealership that I trust so I don't think they were trying to scam me. The service advisor said if they didn't do the ACC alignment the ACC warning light would constantly be on.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Just a heads up, I did my spring install by myself, but went to the dealer to get a 4 wheel alignment. The alignment itself was $159, but they charged me an extra $125 to align ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) sensor. This sensor is also used to control the automatic braking (Anti-collision) on my SE. It was a dealership that I trust so I don't think they were trying to scam me. The service advisor said if they didn't do the ACC alignment the ACC warning light would constantly be on.

Did the light come on on your drive to the dealership?

F1fletch

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Rabbit GTI
I am going to call around some dealerships, I think my best plan is to get the alignment done somewhere else and then take it in for a DCC calibration to a dealership that won’t charge me $700 just for that sensor alignment.....

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
I had an alignment done after a clutch install on my GTI Autobahn. Never heard of the sensor recalibration but have not any issues. Is this only a thing if you change the height?