GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

RabbitSEason

Just brought it to the dealer and the tech guy at the desk said the 24FD zap had already been done to my car back in December 2019. Will wait to see what the technicians say, but looks like I may be one of the unlucky ones for whom the flash didn't work.

2019 GTI SE 6 Speed owner here for a week as well....just over 300 miles in less than a week. I believe I might have not diagnosed some early stalls. However I did have three consecutive stalls after driving in traffic today. Was getting off at an exit in traffic.

I happen to already have an appt with VW here in queens to install some accessories. I asked to have the 24FD re-installed. After a brief wait I was shown a computer screen that listed it being done at 4mi. I didn't confirm I was looking at a screen with my VIN#. Kind've felt like BS....... regardless, I insisted that since the car is in the shop, they attempt another install. I was then told the VW server that hosts the install was down and had to wait longer; no big deal. Drove it home with no stalls, light city traffic and highway.

gobyfish

2019 GTI SE 6 Speed owner here for a week as well....just over 300 miles in less than a week. I believe I might have not diagnosed some early stalls. However I did have three consecutive stalls after driving in traffic today. Was getting off at an exit in traffic.

I happen to already have an appt with VW here in queens to install some accessories. I asked to have the 24FD re-installed. After a brief wait I was shown a computer screen that listed it being done at 4mi. I didn't confirm I was looking at a screen with my VIN#. Kind've felt like BS....... regardless, I insisted that since the car is in the shop, they attempt another install. I was then told the VW server that hosts the install was down and had to wait longer; no big deal. Drove it home with no stalls, light city traffic and highway.

Yeah definitely a similar story. Would be curious to see if they actually did the 24FD for you and if they'll try it again. I didn't get that specific action done; just a full-on ECU reset. No idea if it's a good solution as I've only driven a mile since.

RabbitSEason

Yeah definitely a similar story. Would be curious to see if they actually did the 24FD for you and if they'll try it again. I didn't get that specific action done; just a full-on ECU reset. No idea if it's a good solution as I've only driven a mile since.

I wasn’t clear in my first post that VW DID perform the install again; since then I haven’t had any stalls, and went home in plenty of traffic: I’ll advise if I have any more problems post re-installation. The service advisor had never heard of this problem. So much for knowing the products you service.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
goby, I haven't found a way to reproduce the issue. I found regardless of outside temp, I saw more stalls happen while I was driving in manual mode and running the engine to around 45-5kRPMs before shifting. It seemed like if I "ran out" each gear before shifting and then shortly after came to a complete stop like catching a red light, the drop in idle triggered a stall. This happened on back to back redlights upon stopping. I hadn't drove it hard in manual mode and duplicated those circumstances to see if the sudden drop in engine RPM makes the engine stall. However, I am curious that another dsg driver had a throttle body adaptation to correct. It seems if the throttle body flap was not opening sufficiently to support idle that could cause a stall if there was a sudden drop in rpm on the engine. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can duplicate the issue.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Doesn't look like the stalling problem really scaled back following the NHTSA complaints. There are 6 posted just in February so far. All of those cards should have been flashed with the patch. Its slowed down... but its definitely not gone yet.

canada 99

Sad note,
Had the flash done back in December. All good until last weekend. Stalled twice. both were fast deceleration off highways to a stoplight. :( Not sure if I should even bother reporting this to the dealership. Thoughts?

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Great ideas here, but I've only had a two incidents of stalling within ~160 miles of driving. I actually took a really funny tech out today for a drive and we spent about a half hour in the car chit chatting. It was fun but unfortunately the car behaved like an angel. Not a single hiccough. As mentioned in one of my earlier messages, I did tell the tech guy on the phone to just do an ECU reset. They closed for the night right after that, so we'll see what they say tomorrow. Given the options of leaving the car with them for a week while they joy ride it, or taking it home to await a future time when it stalls more, uh, reproduce-ably, I'll opt for taking it home.

Was there something you were able to do to make the car purposely stall? I did a handful of starts/stops with the tech in the car, but nothing untoward happened.

yeah, so here is what worked for me--and like your car, the stalling was less predictable early on. At the first drop off to the dealers (I mostly just wanted to start a record early on of trying to deal with the problem), it hadn't stalled for a week or so and the dealers never got it to stall, either.

But when it started up on it's own again, predictably, I realized that it seemed to like to stall after a bit of driving (which was already being discussed around here)--so warmed up, and after some acceleration and stopping--like going from stoplight to stoplight.

I took it out to parking lots, drove around until oil temp got to 225+, and then started doing some spirited acceleration from stop, then quick stops. Never shifted above 2nd gear. Usually, once it starts happening, or just before, I noticed the revs start to shudder a bit when slowing down in neutral to stop. The needle would jump from 100-1.2k or so rpm for a few seconds, and either stabilize or stall.

If I was in a parking lot trying to force it, it would happen within 10 minutes or so. Driving across town could take longer. It got to the point where I could force it reliably, and that's when I took it back to them for the 2nd time. So: lots of start stops in first. make sure you come to full stops. shift in and out of gear. Lots of hard, short acceleration and quick stops. Usually, it will start stalling on the hard stop, putting the clutch on the floor and as you roll to a complete stop, maybe ~5mph or just after the car stops.

It stalled twice on me just turning into my driveway or a parking lot, car in neutral at the time....you definitely notice it then because the power steering goes out and it's one of those moments when you need it, heh.

First ~800 miles was maybe 7 stalls. (a lot of that was ~600 mile trip to NC and back, so a lot of highway driving and only ~2 of the stalls in that trip...while in towns). Then after I returned, it really started going nuts and I logged about 20 or more stalls within maybe 2 weeks (this is not including the many, many stalls that I forced when learning how to force it)

Last edited:

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Sad note,
Had the flash done back in December. All good until last weekend. Stalled twice. both were fast deceleration off highways to a stoplight. :( Not sure if I should even bother reporting this to the dealership. Thoughts?

yes, you should absolutely report it if it didn't fix the problem. You paid what for this machine, which is under warranty, and should perform up to advertised spec, which includes "not turning itself off when I don't want it to.?

also report it to whatever Canada's equivalent is to the NHTSA here.

gobyfish

Just had my car out and it stalled again. This is the day after I got it back from the dealer with a full ECU reset. Drove it about 4 miles and it stalled at the first stop light right after being on the freeway. So...now I've had 3 incidents of stalling, each of which did indeed take place after being on the highway. Coincidence? Possibly. But it is data at least, and seems to mesh with what zinfamous and some other folks have mentioned.

gobyfish

yeah, so here is what worked for me--and like your car, the stalling was less predictable early on. At the first drop off to the dealers (I mostly just wanted to start a record early on of trying to deal with the problem), it hadn't stalled for a week or so and the dealers never got it to stall, either.

But when it started up on it's own again, predictably, I realized that it seemed to like to stall after a bit of driving (which was already being discussed around here)--so warmed up, and after some acceleration and stopping--like going from stoplight to stoplight.

I took it out to parking lots, drove around until oil temp got to 225+, and then started doing some spirited acceleration from stop, then quick stops. Never shifted above 2nd gear. Usually, once it starts happening, or just before, I noticed the revs start to shudder a bit when slowing down in neutral to stop. The needle would jump from 100-1.2k or so rpm for a few seconds, and either stabilize or stall.

If I was in a parking lot trying to force it, it would happen within 10 minutes or so. Driving across town could take longer. It got to the point where I could force it reliably, and that's when I took it back to them for the 2nd time. So: lots of start stops in first. make sure you come to full stops. shift in and out of gear. Lots of hard, short acceleration and quick stops. Usually, it will start stalling on the hard stop, putting the clutch on the floor and as you roll to a complete stop, maybe ~5mph or just after the car stops.

It stalled twice on me just turning into my driveway or a parking lot, car in neutral at the time....you definitely notice it then because the power steering goes out and it's one of those moments when you need it, heh.

First ~800 miles was maybe 7 stalls. (a lot of that was ~600 mile trip to NC and back, so a lot of highway driving and only ~2 of the stalls in that trip...while in towns). Then after I returned, it really started going nuts and I logged about 20 or more stalls within maybe 2 weeks (this is not including the many, many stalls that I forced when learning how to force it)

Were you then able to reproduce this for the dealer and get a fix/advice/flash/anything?

I feel like maybe I should take mine back to the dealer, but they seemed a bit clueless as to what to do with it. Although maybe I should, as that would be another official dealer visit for the log books, just in case I need to Lemon Law the sucker.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
yes, you should absolutely report it if it didn't fix the problem. You paid what for this machine, which is under warranty, and should perform up to advertised spec, which includes "not turning itself off when I don't want it to.?

also report it to whatever Canada's equivalent is to the NHTSA here.
Report it. If software doesn't correct the issue VW needs to know so they can fix the issue correctly.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
I will post again later when I have the paperwork in front of me, but I made a dealer visit and the VW tech rep happened to be visiting the dealership. They were not aware of a resolution to address my stall issue with the DSG, however the VW rep was familiar with the issue and got with the service manager to contact VW Corp to inquire about a new software update issued to address the stall problem with DSG cars. There is a new TSB software flash. I will post the info as it reads on my service receipt later. Hopefully it put the issue to bed for my vehicle. I have not had any stall issues after picking up the vehicle as of yet.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
notes from service state:
scan the car found no faults in the system, ran GFF and opened a VTA with VOLKSWAGEN and received the correct SVM update code for the DSG performed ECM update TSB 01-19-05.

I'll give an update if this resolves my stall issues. Hopefully anyone having the issue can reference the TSB info if this works.