GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

ILMGTI

Ready to race!
I wonder if the throttle bodies can be recalibrated on a 6MT or if thats just a DSG thing? I'm 6MT

Mine is also not user error... I thought it was the first couple of times (it's my first manual in many years) but the last couple times no way. And like the OP said, mine is also a very quiet/soft shutdown. Each time it happened I only knew because of the drop in RPM's... couldn't really feel it. And although I'm not 100% on this, I believe mine has only stalled out after some very spirited driving.

Mine never did it if the oil temp was lower than 204. I must add that it also never stalled with DSG in Sport mode but misfired like crazy.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
I have the Urano with the DSG and I had just the opposite happen when I was stopped at a light.The car revs were 1300rpm. I put it in park and no change.I feathered the gas pedal with no luck. I pulled away and when I came to the next stop it was okay.I do have a cold air intake but I don't think this could have created the problem.I'd hate to see the car at 3500 rpm on the highway and it duplicates the problem while pulling in to a rest stop.There are no codes or lights shown when I scan for issues with the OBD11

ILMGTI

Ready to race!
I have the Urano with the DSG and I had just the opposite happen when I was stopped at a light.The car revs were 1300rpm. I put it in park and no change.I feathered the gas pedal with no luck. I pulled away and when I came to the next stop it was okay.I do have a cold air intake but I don't think this could have created the problem.I'd hate to see the car at 3500 rpm on the highway and it duplicates the problem while pulling in to a rest stop.There are no codes or lights shown when I scan for issues with the OBD11

Mine does that too. It's for emissions, if the car is not fully warmed up, it will randomly do it to bring the Catalytic Converter temp up.

hardlyrob

My Cornflower Blue Rabbit 6MT stalled three or four times when I first got it two weeks ago. I think it did it again yesterday as I was pulling out from a stoplight - but that could have been pilot error.

The others were not - coasting to a stoplight each time, clutch all the way in and the engine shut off - quietly. December 2018 build date, 720 miles total so far.

cb1111

I again urge everyone to file a complaint at NHTSA or safercar.gov (both are the same).

Here is a direct link.

It takes a day or two to show up, but the clearer and straight to the point, the faster they'll show up.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Very first thing you need to do is not submitting complaints or post here or any online activity.

AluminumStork

2019 S build date 12/18 last four Vin 7975 (if that helps) Has not happened today, but it's been raining all day so haven't really driven her more than a few miles.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
6MT or DSG?

Anyone have VCDS that also has this problem happening? Really curious to rule out that auto start/stop system if doing the voltage mod tweak prevents it from happening. Like it shouldn’t even be a thing, but if there is any overlap in the systems.

Last edited:

cb1111

6MT or DSG?

Anyone have VCDS that also has this problem happening? Really curious to rule out that auto start/stop system if doing the voltage mod tweak prevents it from happening. Like it shouldn’t even be a thing, but if there is any overlap in the systems.
All these issues are with MT. MT doesn't have start/stop in North America

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
I know this ;-)

My point though is those variables are visible in VCDS (I’ve looked myself on my 6MT). I was wondering if anyone wanted to try out changing one of those on an affected car to see if it does anything.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
With mine the few times I've stalled it just quietly goes to sleep. Doesn't give you much indication that it's going to happen either.

This is the most finicky transmission I've ever operated. Shouldn't forget that when considering new owners in new cars.

What's the frequency of this happening? If it's extremely low and can't be reproduced by people other than a single driver...

Are people stalling this thing at every stoplight?