GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sorry I have to leave the party, but I'm on my way to COTA to crew for my co drivers TCA team. I'll be sure to make sure the car has 0w-20 in it so it doesn't stall. No wait, it's a Honda, so I think they actually know how to tune engines. Watch car 178. It's his rookie year. It's a three car team, here's a pic after the wrap, his is the yellow. Have a great week and save some popcorn for me, I'll try to check in.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1583424045388.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583424045388.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Fact is, the dealer called VWoA, they recommended the switch. It wasn't the dealer. End of story, even if you keep claiming that the dealer did it on their own, which you know is ridiculous. No dealer is going to take on that liability on their own.

Fact, a difference in timing and reported timing has been documented.

Fact, VW would certainly do everything possible to resolve the problem with an ECU change to avoid going back to 5w-xx oils.

But keep going, this is fun.

why? This fact of yours presupposes a not-established reality that VW is determined to eek out 1 extra mpg for reasons. I know a lot here love to swim in silly conspiracy theories, about how evil EPA has forced these brave automakers hands to do annoying things...or of course the very real fuckups from VW that they are paying for (probably not as much as they should be)....but that is only ever mildly-informed speculation. Making an assumption based on what you personally think things must be (even if many others do), isn't a matter of fact. It just can't be used to make this determination right now.

You don't know their motivations. You think you do. Doesn't mean you are wrong, but it isn't something that you can establish as plain fact, because it certainly isn't.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Cobb tunes are known to have high KR and not produce as much power we other companies tunes. Even back in my Subaru days, COBB's OTS tunes have always been crap. That's why I run 93 oct with a 91 oct map. I didn't buy the COBB for the OTS tune, I bought it in order to get a pro tune. Nothing ironic about it if you know anything about cars.

Why would I switch out the oil when I track the car? Again, you sound stupid. I don't need to test or fix anything, even with a tune that is crap, the car is smoother than VW's pure garbage tune they sold the car with. And where in any post did I say I dislike the vehicle?

You add nothing to any conversation, ever.

you have a tuned car that you track.

what is going on with your car is of absolutely no relevance to the issue that is affecting stock cars from the factory. Full stop. That's a fact.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Classic narcissistic personality traits. Don’t bother.

On a side note, to honor the thread I took my car out for a right flogging. Smooth, no issue with gear indicator, and zero stalls.

0w-20, 24FD, and I’ve owned two Subaru’s (96 STI and 02 WRX Wagon)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
why? This fact of yours presupposes a not-established reality that VW is determined to eek out 1 extra mpg for reasons. I know a lot here love to swim in silly conspiracy theories, about how evil EPA has forced these brave automakers hands to do annoying things...or of course the very real fuckups from VW that they are paying for (probably not as much as they should be)....but that is only ever mildly-informed speculation. Making an assumption based on what you personally think things must be (even if many others do), isn't a matter of fact. It just can't be used to make this determination right now.

You don't know their motivations. You think you do. Doesn't mean you are wrong, but it isn't something that you can establish as plain fact, because it certainly isn't.

Time for one more.

My guess as to their motivation is logical, but not gospel for sure. But there is no denying manufacturers are moving to 0w-20 specifically to eek out every last bit of fuel economy and reduce emissions.

And another strawman argument. Where did I ever call the EPA evil. VW deserves every bit of what they got in Europe and the US from the scandal.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Classic narcissistic personality traits. Don’t bother.

On a side note, to honor the thread I took my car out for a right flogging. Smooth, no issue with gear indicator, and zero stalls.

0w-20, 24FD, and I’ve owned two Subaru’s (96 STI and 02 WRX Wagon)

Classic narcissistic. Your car is ok, so no other car matters.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
you have a tuned car that you track.

what is going on with your car is of absolutely no relevance to the issue that is affecting stock cars from the factory. Full stop. That's a fact.

That's why I related what happened to my car when it was stock. Try to follow along. It now runs fine with heavier oil and aftermarket tune. Maybe it fixed itself like so many others.

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT

The idea that they didn’t change oil based on conspiracy EPA speculation but the idea that a modified engine tune to prevent stalling wouldn’t alter the emissions or fuel economy or the car, and thus trigger the same EPA conspiracy logic, is funny .. right?

Anything that doesn’t fit his logic is straw man, or he pivots. Fact of the matter is, he isn’t an engineer, he thinks tracking his car gives him credibility, and someone on the phone told them to (allegedly) give him non-spec fill and he correlated it to fixing his issues. I wouldn’t be shocked if they said ‘yeah we’ll try 5w40’ and poured 0w20 anyways. Why is he getting dealer oil changes if he’s going to ramble about track days and pro tunes as if it makes him more knowledgeable than anyone else on this subject, particularly VW.

We4nolans

Passed Driver's Ed
There are 2 or 3 owners here that I recall posting about it last year. I wouldn't say typical, but it definitely happens.
I was one of those owners. We had stalling occurring initially, took it to the dealer who had it for a week and could not reproduce it and since we reached about 300 miles we have not had another stall.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Or this guy. He seems to know what's up too.

This guy thinks it's still an ECU issue with absolutely zero evidence and I think it's an issue having to do with the new oil pump, oil weight, and ECU not getting the right timing values with absolutely no evidence.

So while their speculation that VW can't do a basic tune on a stock car after a year and a half seems to be the accepted theory and my theory that it's going to end up being something mechanical that they changed on the 2019 is not an accepted theory by the mob.

Is everyone caught up on the issue now?

I think it's the air pressure in the tires. ?

SnaxxxAtaxxx

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and would like some advice from your guys since this is the most comprehensive place I've found regarding this issue.

I'm looking to purchase a 2019 6MT GTI (Rabbit Edition Conrflower Blue which I'm very excited about) that I found that was a victim of this issue but had the 24FD software update. I contacted VW's customer support line and gave them the VIN and verified that the vehicle is still covered under the 72k/6yr warranty and that won't expire until mid 2025. The car right now has 4400 miles on it. I test drove it after finding out about the soft stalling, and the incorrect gear indicator. Gear indicator was always right, didn't stall once when driving slowly around the dealer, and then driving it around the city for about 20 minutes didn't get any stalling there either.

Looks like the previous owner experienced the stalling issue and the car was bought back by the dealer, then auctioned off I presume. Below is a snippet of the Reaquired Vehicle Disclosure Statement (Sorry I didn't get a better picture). Car is selling for a couple thousand under KBB, I presume because the title is branded.

As far as I understand, this branded title will hit my resale prices, but to be honest, I'm not interested in resale. I'm one to drive a car until the wheels nearly fall off or it gets totalled. So my question to you is, would you go for it? I'm leaning towards yes, especially with the fact that I retain the 72k/6yr warranty. Thanks in advance for your opinions and feedback
1583535552973.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kak

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and would like some advice from your guys since this is the most comprehensive place I've found regarding this issue.

I'm looking to purchase a 2019 6MT GTI (Rabbit Edition Conrflower Blue which I'm very excited about) that I found that was a victim of this issue but had the 24FD software update. I contacted VW's customer support line and gave them the VIN and verified that the vehicle is still covered under the 72k/6yr warranty and that won't expire until mid 2025. The car right now has 4400 miles on it. I test drove it after finding out about the soft stalling, and the incorrect gear indicator. Gear indicator was always right, didn't stall once when driving slowly around the dealer, and then driving it around the city for about 20 minutes didn't get any stalling there either.

Looks like the previous owner experienced the stalling issue and the car was bought back by the dealer, then auctioned off I presume. Below is a snippet of the Reaquired Vehicle Disclosure Statement (Sorry I didn't get a better picture). Car is selling for a couple thousand under KBB, I presume because the title is branded.

As far as I understand, this branded title will hit my resale prices, but to be honest, I'm not interested in resale. I'm one to drive a car until the wheels nearly fall off or it gets totalled. So my question to you is, would you go for it? I'm leaning towards yes, especially with the fact that I retain the 72k/6yr warranty. Thanks in advance for your opinions and feedbackView attachment 167134

Take for a long test drive an do one of the sequences that are known to trigger stalling. If you can’t reproduce the issue...pounce. I would In a New York minute.

Then let us know if the title is in fact branded. Also make sure you get in writing that the car maintains its residual 6yr/72k warranty.