GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

codypka

Go Kart Champion
I've been following this thread for a while now. I can't believe VW doesn't have a solution yet. I would be pulling my hair out if I bought one of these affected vehicles.

Quick question, are there any other golf models being affected? Any Golf R's, Alltracks, standard Golf's? I know Jetta GLI's are affected, which makes sense considering they have GTI guts

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
I've been following this thread for a while now. I can't believe VW doesn't have a solution yet. I would be pulling my hair out if I bought one of these affected vehicles.

Quick question, are there any other golf models being affected? Any Golf R's, Alltracks, standard Golf's? I know Jetta GLI's are affected, which makes sense considering they have GTI guts

Nothing to the same degree. A couple stalling comments came out on the 1.4T Golf, but I believe those were fuel supply issues that were repaired and never returned.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Stop/start can and does shut off before coming to a stop, it’s documented in the user manual, yes i totally agree that some of the other symptoms don’t lend themselves to it being stop/start related, but who’s to say it will behave exactly as stop/start would, considering that it shouldn’t be functioning at all! I had a manual 2019 loaner not so long ago and being that it is a UK car it had stop/start, it behaved exactly as you guys describe the stalling except it would restart!

I’m not, in any way saying you are wrong, and I’m definitely not saying I’m correct, it’s just my theory on the subject that’s all, it shouldn’t be long before VW finally sort it out, so until then we’re all just making educated guesses at best!

Honestly, that sounds...troubling, doesn't it? If the feature is expected to do that normally, then how is that no less dangerous than this stalling problem? I did not realize that it would be possible.

I rented an AT Jetta ~2 years ago when I was in Latvia, and it was one of my more recent times driving a car with auto start/stop. It definitely freaked me out the first time it happened. ...and it was certainly inconsistent. I never did like it, but I might have gotten used to it if it was more consistent--say, it turns off every time, only after 10 seconds stopped, rather than maybe after 2 seconds, or 4, or 15, or not at all over 1 minute. ...it was very annoying! :D

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
The 87 octane doesn't sit at the bottom of the tank. It mixes up just fine with any other octane gas.

all of my stalls happened on 91-93 octane (and whatever the first tank of dealer gas was--I'm assuming 87). After my ECU reset, some couple tanks of 93, 89, and currently 87, no problem.

As for mediumbluemetallic....I don't know. If your tank was that low, I wonder if the fuel pump was not fully-submerged and so it was just having fuel-feed issues?

I've read in some other threads here: "what level to refill"--seems to be a common question--that at 1/8th tank, the fuel pump is no longer submerged and can lead to premature failure if you frequently let the tank get this low.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
all of my stalls happened on 91-93 octane (and whatever the first tank of dealer gas was--I'm assuming 87). After my ECU reset, some couple tanks of 93, 89, and currently 87, no problem.

As for mediumbluemetallic....I don't know. If your tank was that low, I wonder if the fuel pump was not fully-submerged and so it was just having fuel-feed issues?

I've read in some other threads here: "what level to refill"--seems to be a common question--that at 1/8th tank, the fuel pump is no longer submerged and can lead to premature failure if you frequently let the tank get this low.

I never let my GTI fuel tank run lower than 3/4. As the gasoline cools the fuel pump and why run the tank down until nearly dry?

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I never let my GTI fuel tank run lower than 3/4. As the gasoline cools the fuel pump and why run the tank down until nearly dry?

You seriously fill up after every 1/4 tank? don't you get sick of going to the gas station every day? (or maybe 2x per day, considering how lots of people drive)?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Maybe, but mine never worked that way before I shut it off with coding. There was a 1/2-1 second delay after coming to complete stop. Always. 2018 Autobahn.

Most of the time it will turn off after stopping, but it does sometimes do it beforehand, it’s not a great system but some pen pushers in an office somewhere in eco land decided that’s what the world needs, so we’re stuck with it even though it does little to save fuel or cut emissions!

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
Might just be a coincidence, but did anyone else notice all the current GLI incentives are AUTO only?
A search by me is showing 2.9% for 60 +$1,000 bonus cash on all Jetta GLI 35th anniversary models, and 2.9% on all GLI, but $500-1000 on auto GLIs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I didn't realize people had stalls when they were actually rolling, that seems like a different and much bigger problem to be honest. I have about 25 documented stalls in 700 miles and all have been at a complete stop (two today). The main way I know this is that you can immediately tell when the car is off by the stiffness of the wheel.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I didn't realize people had stalls when they were actually rolling, that seems like a different and much bigger problem to be honest. I have about 25 documented stalls in 700 miles and all have been at a complete stop (two today). The main way I know this is that you can immediately tell when the car is off by the stiffness of the wheel.

right, which is way more obvious when rolling into your driveway or parking space at an angle, and you suddenly lose power steering. :D