GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 S vs. SE - worth the $4k?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
If you want to save money then get a 2017 model year GTI. You'll get more for the price of the 2018 S.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I'd say the SE is worth extra if buying new. In the UK at least you get, or used to, the linkeage rear suspension whcih keeps the rear more planted. Hum & haw a bit to try to get a few $$$$s off when negotiating. Or if you'll be happy with the S, go with that....

greens

Ready to race!
Unless you're tracking the car on a regular basis my vote would be no definitely not worth it.

A sunroof is the last thing I want on any variant of a performance car. Compromises the structural rigidity and adds weight at the worst point on the car. Plus you have the reputation for this particular car having an awful design with rattles, leaks, etc. The halogens in the S are more than sufficient and stupid cheap to replace compared to the LED in the SE. The VAQ is not a true mechanical LSD so no care. If you really desire the upgraded brakes you can purchase the calipers and better pads from ECS for ~$1200 shipped but the brakes on the S are perfectly adequate for spirited daily driving. Also, don't forget the extra tax you will pay on that $4k difference.

It's obviously only a decision you can make. I chose to save the money which will either go in to the Porsche fund or towards a IS38.

ctyke

I knew immediately I wanted the SE, and don't regret it yet at all. I love the lights and having a sunroof, the diff and brakes are good, the screen is great, and you can get cloth on the SE now like I did. The safety stuff is kind of nice to have as well and I think I would hate going back to a regular key. I'm always a middle ground kind of guy but I think the SE is the sweet spot and really rounds out the car with a bunch of things I wanted, but it's ultimately up to you. If you want leather and every option, the Autobahn is there, if you want the basics and/or plan to do a bunch of aftermarket mods, then the S is still great.

K.A.I.N.

Ready to race!
FWIW, I sometimes regret getting the '17 SE and not a Sport. I had the sunroof rattle that goes away when I lube the seals. No leaks, but with the threads of the TSB not fixing the issue have me worried a little. Also, the leather seats take longer to heat up than the cloth.

That said, at times I wish I didn't have the sunroof, had the tartan cloth seats, had the Nogaro wheels, and pocketed the few grand in savings. This is strictly my daily.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I have an S, if your looking to buy new, and your price range includes a car that will be 27-30k after tax, I would say its worth it. I want a sun roof but i heard installing them in a car that never came with one is just a terrible idea. I have normal brakes and lights and it is what it is. Im going to change the lights with this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-helix-p...MI29ygxI6a2wIVgp6zCh1ezQntEAQYASABEgLnpfD_BwE

I prob wont change the brakes since I don't track the car... good luck

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I have an S, if your looking to buy new, and your price range includes a car that will be 27-30k after tax, I would say its worth it.

I would assume you are talking about the sticker price of a S. In reality, people are getting an SE for that price.

FWIW, I sometimes regret getting the '17 SE and not a Sport. I had the sunroof rattle that goes away when I lube the seals. No leaks, but with the threads of the TSB not fixing the issue have me worried a little. Also, the leather seats take longer to heat up than the cloth..

Since Sport is not available with 2018s, people are forced to opt for the SE.

dannybobany

Love my 18 S DSG. Headlights are plenty bright enough and still have LED daytime/fog lights. Don't need a sunroof at all. Stereo is plenty good enough without all the extra stuff. Only use Spotify via Android Auto anyway. Brakes work just fine for daily use and the LSD isn't even mechanical. Also, pulling a cool flip key out of my pocket and turning a key isn't hard lol. Oh, and like my wheels WAY more than the SE ones. And could care less about driving assitance bs. Bought the car for the DSG / 220 HP engine.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I would assume you are talking about the sticker price of a S. In reality, people are getting an SE for that price.

Since Sport is not available with 2018s, people are forced to opt for the SE.

Yeah sorry for not clarifying, S after tax is 25k and lower. What I paid. 24 n change. To me SE if you got the money yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yosh5684

I have a 2018 SE and I can say its definitely worth the buy.The SE is like the perfect medium between the models with enough features but not too many. When I test drove both the S and SE the SE cornered with a lot more confidence.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
SE for me and, yes, worth it.

E-rok

Passed Driver's Ed
I test drove both. I decided the SE was well worth it because I immediately noticed the lack of LSD on the S, the bigger brakes, and all of the comfort features. Love the fender stereo too. If there were any sports available, I would have really considered that.

People saying you can do alot with 4k etc, 4k rolled into a loan is alot easier for the average person to handle opposed to forking out 4k in cash/credit cards for mods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk