GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Mk7.5 large screen head unit into Mk7?

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I bought a 902 off eBay for $1400 and had it installed because I really wanted low level I put for my amps. Other than the loss of AM and Sirius radio I love how the FM, CD/DVD, CarPlay and Navigation are working out. The clarity of having a good quality head unit feeding amps is priceless.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2, DP & BCS Exhaust

Wow that looks nice. can you adjust the brightness of the buttons?

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
How did you get Navi to work?? I thought it couldn’t do US maps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You put a usb flash drive in the USB port normally used for your phone, select an option in system setup for updating the nav, it puts a file on the usb drive that identifies the head unit. Then you go to naviextras.com on your computer with your flash drive connected, register a user name / account, select buy maps / updates, select your alpine model, select US/North America maps, pay the $49, download the new map... take usb drive back to your car and stick it in and select nav update and it will reflash your maps. I like the nav better than VW but often find I use Siri and CarPlay. Hope that helps !

'16 MK7 R Manual

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
Also, for anyone buying the i902d-g7 or x902d-g7 and adding an amp ( dah ) you will need the ktx-pre1 cable - ask the same vendor on eBay to include or shop online for a euro / U.K. alpine dealer to sell you.

Here’s the cable, I think I paid $40

'16 MK7 R Manual

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Wow that's amazing, thanks for the pictures and response. How hard was the swap, ie did you have to get a new trim piece or change any of the "car guts"?

If i still have the car in the few years i think this is very tempting.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Does it still interface with the GTI settings without problem? Like adjusting wiper preferences, driving modes, etc.?

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
Wow that's amazing, thanks for the pictures and response. How hard was the swap, ie did you have to get a new trim piece or change any of the "car guts"?

If i still have the car in the few years i think this is very tempting.

The 902 comes with everything for plug and play ... I had it done by an audio shop who was doing amp work for me at the same time. Alpine is really taking the lead in these OEM radio swaps but in North America they seem to be focused on GM, Ford and Chrysler right now.

'16 MK7 R Manual

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
Did you also get the DVD unit or just the head unit? They list it as an accessory. I also see they make a similar spare tire sub.

Yes, I used the Alpine DVE-5300 not the DVE-5300G that Alpine recommends. My Golf had the factory CD player in the glove box so it was an easy swap. I don’t know if the factory CD player would have worked with it. The only complaint with the DVD player it is that the steering wheel channel / track selection doesn’t work on the steering wheel. You need to use the touchscreen or the remote control it comes with to change track. I’m not sure if the DVE-5300G overcomes this, and whether it would support the region formats of North America.

'16 MK7 R Manual

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
Was that included or the extra 500 dollars on top of what you paid for the headunit?
Thanks for all the information

I paid $329 for the dve5300 from the Alpine dealer that installed it for me. That reminds me, the 5300 doesn’t have an SD card like the OEM CD player does ... you could use the 2nd USB port on the head unit but I did not.

'16 MK7 R Manual