GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI test drive first impressions

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Mazda 3 Touring and Grand Touring, although that's a lower price level than the GTI

That's debatable.

My parents just bought a 2018 Mazda 6. The interior is nice, but no better than my MK7 GTi. Dash and cluster still looks cheap.

If I couldn't have a GTI (as in they stop the NA sales) I'd seriously look at a Mazda 3. The driving dynamics of the current Mazda's seem closer to the German cars than other Asian cars.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Yeah, so useful driving around town at 7K rpm to get any kind of power, no thanks. I like my torque starting at 1500 rpm. :)

Yeap same here.. although I almost wished I didn’t know about the weak clutch.. keeps me from ever giving any heavy throttle at the lower rpm range.. kinda look forward to eventual replacement with aftermarket for that reason and dropping the associated fears

cb1111

Honda Accords are sooooooo boooooooring to drive. I'd drive an a4 long before I'd put my butt in a Honda Accord. I don't care how roomy or how nice everything is. Driving dynamics is important. Honda Accords are nice cars, well put together, etc...just so plain driving wise.
Have you driven the sport verion (or any version with a real auto) recently?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Have you driven the sport verion (or any version with a real auto) recently?

Admittedly, no. And I probably won't in the near future. Not really into sedans all that much. And unless it was going to WOW me away from my MK7 GTi, what's the point.

All of a sudden every plain jane sedan is "sport" sedan, Accord, Camry, Elantra, Kia equivalent. You don't just snap your fingers, add some cool body work and 18" rims and automatically make a great, dynamic, sports sedan.

Kia has the right idea with the Stinger and the design team behind it, but it will be awhile before it's dialed in and then..................it's still a Kia.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
So they use different levels of plastic per what edition you buy? Doesn't seem very economical to do that. I could see better seats, more options, larger screen, etc.

I just wasn't as impressed with the fit and finish of many of the pieces in it. The glove box door doesn't line up properly, some of the bezel trim around the controls doesn't line up 100% The auto trans gate with the indicator doesn't light up to show gear selection. No one touch up on the power windows. Only drivers door has one touch down. Closing the doors or the hatch doesn't sound as solid as the GTi. I also hate that the wipers go out in opposite directions. Also weird not having a gas cap, just a spring loaded flap over the opening of the filler.

It's a trade off because while my GTI doesn't have a power seat, auto headlights the Escape does as well as dual climate control.

It was about what I expected it to be. Not horrible, just mostly simply average and few below average pieces.

It is a rental, but it's only a month or two old with less than 3K miles on it so wear and tear from clients should be minimal.

With the GTi all trim levels have the same build, just some different specs like leather seats, larger screen ,climate control, etc. They are built identical whether "S" or "Autobahn".

Rental, or fleet, models are often dreadful. I had a Malibu rental for a week that was not a pleasant place to spend any time, but I've seen Malibus that are really nice inside. I don't know, exactly, if Ford uses specific materials in each trim, but I do know that their quality control is, um, variable. I/we have had several Fords over the years, and some have been amazingly well put together, and some, not so much. Our current Escape, though I dislike driving it, doesn't have any fit and finish issues at all, for some reason.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Honda Accords are sooooooo boooooooring to drive. I'd drive an a4 long before I'd put my butt in a Honda Accord. I don't care how roomy or how nice everything is. Driving dynamics is important. Honda Accords are nice cars, well put together, etc...just so plain driving wise.

The A4 is a good car and was on my shopping list when I purchased the Accord. Drove a couple of 2017’s. I came away pleased but compared to my Mk7 GTI, did not handle as well. When I saw the ‘18 Accord Sport I needed to check it out for myself. My standard of comparison was still my GTI. Handling is certainly comparable. The larger size of the Honda is an issue as are the A/S tires. I have summer tires on the VW. The Accord has the same size motor (2000cc) as the Audi with the same horsepower and more torque on regular gas. The adjustable driving dynamics are comparable to the DCC on the GTI. the 10 speed automatic is better than the Audi 8 speed. Both are better than the manual in the VW.

I try to hold on making buying decisions until I read as many reviews as possible and, if I have interest in buying, drive as many as I can. In addition to the Audi, I drove a BMW 428i, Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, Hyundai 2.0T Stinger, Mazda6, Toyota XLE, Malibu 2.0T, Ford Fusion 2.7T AWD, and Nissan Maxima. If I were buying in the the next few months, I would add the new Nissan Altima 2.0T AWD and the new Mazda6 2.5T. The new Accord Sport got my attention. NOT BORING! I expect to sell the VW soon as my age (78) and size (6’3”) are making the entry into my 4 door GTI difficult. For me the seat is actually behind the B post. Other than that, it is the most satisfying car I have owned.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I've been very impressed with what I've seen of the new Accord. Except for the size--I'm not sure it would be a good fit in my garage!--and Honda's questionable (to me) styling these days, the car is very nice. Reviews have been good as well. I have no need for a family sedan, though, but if I did, that would be on my list.

ontheellipse

Passed Driver's Ed
My biggest concern with the new Accord is new motors/first year of new revision. Who knows how they’ll fare. And I’m always worried about Honda/Acura automatics. That aside, they check a lot of boxes for me.

cb1111

You gonna pick your make of vehicle based upon which dealership has better free food? c'mon man!!!!!!
Methinks you missed the point. It has to do with the emphasis that a dealership places on their customers.

Coffee isn't important - I don't drink coffee and I certainly don't need free pastries. What I do need is a loaner if the car is in the shop for hours.

Lexus is trying to make the customer experience less of a chore while BMW is looking at the coffee shop as ADP.

Lexus and Acura get it about the loaners - BMW, Audi and VW don't. Mercedes is somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

ontheellipse

Passed Driver's Ed
Can’t disagree there. Lexus dealership has been incredible. I’ve paid nothing for maintenance and always have a loaner.

But it’s only a few days a year over the last couple of years.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I came from a BMW X5, the interior isn't as nice as that car but it's less than half the price. For the price range, especially with the leather, it's a nice interior.