GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI left steering noise video

ca2018

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI
Hi all,

I’ve been having a weird high pitched metallic clicking sound with my 2018 GTI that VW does not seem to be able to fix. I’m attaching a video that shows what it sounds like.

Big picture: only does it when steering left. And the car needs to warm up before the sound starts. Like drive it for 10-15 mins and then it does it every time I turn left. Last time I brought it in they changed wheel bearings and that was not it. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Charles

Attachments

• SqueekingSound.zip
    14.6 MB · Views: 51

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Are you sure it's not related to the brakes? It almost sounds like one of those wear sensors rubbing on the rotor. It's hard to tell from the video.

ca2018

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI
Thank you for you post, yeah it's a tough one to identify. I should have mentioned it in the description but at the same time as they replaced bearings, they serviced the brakes. Still a possibility but the shop did consider that option...

ca2018

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI
And up4speed, your post got me googling a bit more and perhaps this could be a cv joint. I'm not finding online videos about faulty cv joints that sound as high pitched as what I'm getting. But a lot of posts out there about cv joints clicking sounds while turning.

ca2018

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI
Latest from VW is they think the culprit is the front axle. This has to be ordered and may not be installed till a week or two. I'll post here again when it is installed, with hopefully an "it's fixed message"

Nick_Vlds

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Latest from VW is they think the culprit is the front axle. This has to be ordered and may not be installed till a week or two. I'll post here again when it is installed, with hopefully an "it's fixed message"
Can you please provide an update when it is possible. Looks like I have the same issue. Which axle is bad? driver or passenger? Thank you

ca2018

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI
Will do. The part is being ordered from the US (I'm in Canada) so might be a few weeks before it's here/installed. Looks like the passenger side, making left turns directs pressure towards that side.

ca2018

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI
Update: new axle in, same issue remains. VW says they are going to get engineering involved next as they are running out of options. So this might take a while, I will post back here whenever there's some news.

Nick_Vlds, are they chasing the problem on yours as well? If so, any updates?

Nick_Vlds

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Thanks for the update!
I did go to auto shop not dealer and they suggested replace right front axel and right front wheel bearing hub, still waiting parts.

ca2018

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI
Thanks also for the update Nick! They changed the bearings on mine, not sure about the bearing "hub". Or perhaps that's the same thing/part?. Let's keep the updates going here, two heads (and two shops) should be better than one!