GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI 0w40 or 5w40 ?

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
It's silly that the manual forgot to include 0w-40, when every 0w-40 is either speced for VW or "recommended for" it.

5w-30 in the manual refers to VW 504 or the very rare Euro 5w-30 that is thicker and has the HT/HS to meet spec >3.5cP I can barely think of any 5w-30 that meets VW 502....maybe in Europe but it doesn't make sense to formulate a new style 5w-30 for an old spec like 502. 504 oils sometimes claim 502.

I use this PZ oil, it's low SAPS with MB and BMW spec, similar to 504 but no spec. It's either too expensive or doesn't meet 504 for some technical reason. "Approval" from a mfg is mostly a money game. $500k for 3yr licence to use VW 502 spec, no wonder Rotella doesn't bother with it.

https://walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/179202222

I wish I could add some pics. I have comparo graphs for 502/504/MB229.5 I will try to host them later....

Check this out.... https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

Last edited:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
It's silly that the manual forgot to include 0w-40, when every 0w-40 is either speced for VW or "recommended for" it.

5w-30 in the manual refers to VW 504 or the very rare Euro 5w-30 that is thicker and has the HT/HS to meet spec >3.5cP I can barely think of any 5w-30 that meets VW 502....maybe in Europe but it doesn't make sense to formulate a new style 5w-30 for an old spec like 502. 504 oils sometimes claim 502.

I use this PZ oil, it's low SAPS with MB and BMW spec, similar to 504 but no spec. It's either too expensive or doesn't meet 504 for some technical reason. "Approval" from a mfg is mostly a money game. $500k for 3yr licence to use VW 502 spec, no wonder Rotella doesn't bother with it.

https://walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/179202222

I wish I could add some pics. I have comparo graphs for 502/504/MB229.5 I will try to host them later....

The brand of oil you use doesn't matter much, all else being equal spec wise.

As long as you are consistent with oil change intervals.

My personal preference is Pennzoil Euro 5w-40, aka Shell Helix Ultra.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie

You're still alive.. after multiple bans on VWVortex…

Pennzoil makes Euro 5w30 and Euro AV 5w30 that is 502.00, along side their Euro LX 0w30 (which is their 504.00/507.00 offering), which some 2019's are requiring 504.00 AND 0w30, according to the oil sticker in the engine bay.

Keep in mind with Lubrizol's Relative Performance Tool, they state:
"The performance charts are not a literal translation of a performance specification and should not be used as a replacement for evaluating engine oil performance in accordance with the relevant vehicle manufacturer’s requirements."

So, they are saying don't use their tool literally, which people often do.

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
It's recommended by Liqui Moly to not use VW 504 oil in the US, but to stick with VW 502.

Exactly why it's best to know why such a recommendation is made... Prior to 2017 US gas had high levels of sulphur, which degraded the low additive formula of VW 504 oils. Since then, we have the same ultra low sulphur fuel as Europe.

Therefore, it's a bad and dated recommendation. Not surprising LM wasn't more clear about it, or if they pulled the recommendation yet....not even knowing enough about the subject to correct themselves.

Pretty bad advice, when you consider that 504 is the top spec in the industry, and VW 502 is the worst. https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html
BMW is inbetween VW and MB.

If an oil is specific to 502, it is not as good as an oil that meets multiple specs, especially MB 229.5 When people say "look for VW 502", I cringe.

ANY 0w-40 or 5w-40 works fine. Only a few 5w-30 are the thicker Euro spec, so few to not even worry about them. Most are VW 504, which is kind of expensive. If you want reduced additive oil like 504 to reduce intake valve deposits, I would just get PZ Euro L at 1/2 the price.... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/495194903

People paying extra for Euro brand oil is a JOKE. PZ 0w-40, M1 0w-40, and Castrol 0w-40 are unbeatable, certainly not by LM. If I were to buy a Euro oil, it would be Ravenol, Fuch's or Pentosin....NOT LM it is a joke.

In 5w-40, all Euro spec oils are basically the same....old lame VW 502 or maybe MB 229.3. If you use a Euro 5w-40 make sure it's MB 229.5. Best bet if you want a robust oil is Rotella or pref Chevron Delo with a crazy HT/HS of 4.2cP NOTHING BEATS IT'S HT/HS! I don't use 5w-40, it does sap power and is not good in cold below freezing, when it comes to lubing the turbo until warmed up.

Also, please stop using K&N and ruining your engine.

I'm using PZ 0w-40, M1 and Edge are fine choices too. 504 is good for short trip drivers who might get deposits. I would skip the $10q 504 for PZ Euro L....I have this in my Avant now.

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
it's honestly all the same shit... get VW approved full synthetic 502.00 oil (I don't think 502.00 rating is anything but synthetic anyways) and you'll be fine

I used to be that guy wondering which grade oil and brand is best blah blah... if it's on the manufacture approved list, it should be fine...castrol, mobil 1, liqui moly, etc... they probably all have their unique strengths and weaknesses but unless you're racing or live in extremly hot/cold temps, I really do believe you won't be able to tell the difference.

I picked up four 5L jugs of castrol edge 5w40 edge SPT for 27 CAD (roughly 20 USD)... that's what's going in my car till I run out, and then i'm gonna get the next cheapest 502 5w40 rated oil I can get my hands on

Wait, dealer Syntec 5w-40 from 1998? lol. Tell me exactly why you want VW 502 oil when it actually sucks...?

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
I was trying to decide what oil to get, too. The GTI owner's manual says 5W40 or 5W30 that meets VW spec (502/3/4 00). Castrol Edge 5W40 fits the bill. I picked some up today.

Here's a good example.

Edge 5w-40 is an old crappy formula that barely meets VW 502 and MB 229.3

Edge 0w-40 with the new nano titanium dioxide additive has full factory approvals for VW 502 (because it EXCEEDS it) and the top full-saps spec, MB 229.5

Why would someone buy the 5w-40?

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
I never said it is.

That's what the manual says, too, which is why I bought some.

If you say so.

5w-40 is a poor choice for below 0F, especially with a lubing a turbo.

0w-40 is the same as German Syntec 0w-30 on this graph.

In extreme cold, just use jug API 5w-30 like Edge or PZ Platinum/Ultra, 5w-40 is 3x-4x thicker on start-up

Some drivers don't even get up to full operating temp during their drive, so the engine is chugging around on oil that's 10-100x too thick to begin with.