GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 SE and Sourcing a New Windshield - 5 Tries and No Luck!

tdipaul

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 6MT SE PP/LP
Car is a 2017 SE 6MT with sunroof and rain sensing wipers

One morning in late 2017 a pebble chipped the windshield and by the end of the day there was a crack half way across.

Attempt #1.
A week later, I schedule with Safelite. They arrive, take a few measurements and say its the wrong windshield because the tint cutouts for the rain sensor and VIN windows are off. They refunded my $500 soon thereafter with no explanation.

Attempt #2:
A week later I try another glass company. They say they cant get it because "the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet".

Attempt #3:
I wait a bit until summer of 2018. I schedule with Safelite again thinking someone made a mistake. But they bring the wrong windshield just the same and refund money like in #1.

Attempt #4:
Thinking all this trouble would have passed by now, in April 2020 I schedule with Safelite again but alas, situations #1 and #3 occur again. The Tech acts really confused.

Attempt #5:
A day after #4, a manager from Safelite calls and admits that he is frustrated with all this history and says he is going to order the OEM windshield. The price is $800 and I say "WOO-HOO, no problem". A week later they come to my house and guess what happened? YEP. The tech asks me if I really have a 2015 car and not a 2017 car . Oh jeez. I say its a 2017 bought new off the lot, and every time I've scheduled I have supplied the VIN. He said he'll have the manager call me but that never happened. They finally gave up.

So now Im going on three years with a cracked windshield. It hasn't been that big a deal to me because the crack is down low (although it is almost all the way across now) but this is getting ridiculous.

I am not knocking Safelite here; I am assuming they haven't been bringing me the same windshield over and over, and they tried their best. Maybe I am being naive?

Anybody else having this same challenge?

What would you do next?

Go to dealer?

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I am not knocking Safelite here;

Why not??!! These idiots clearly can't find their ass with both hands.

Call local dealership. Get correct part number for OEM windshield. Ask who they use for glass replacements. It should be somebody reliable and will have experience with VW's since the VW dealership utilizes them. Have glass company use either OEM or the correct 3rd party glass - there should be several different ones available.

And NEVER call Safelite again. I won't bore you with my own horror story. Good luck.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
The safelite part number they replaced on my '18 R is FW04804. I have no clue of it's the same as your glass though.

I took a picture of it because I had a similar experience where the first glass they brought was the wrong one. With how many chips and cracks I've gotten, I know I'll need more replacements in the future.

tdipaul

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 6MT SE PP/LP
Maybe try an indy shop?

Got a new windshield finally.

I was at a bar recently with some co-workers and they referred me to one of their friends who does auto glass on the side. While at the bar we went out to my car and I told him the story above. Within 15 seconds he said "Despite you supplying the VIN, I'll bet all those guys were bringing you a windshield for a TWO DOOR GTI. In that year they still made both 2 door and 4 door models. The windshield is indeed different, so that is my assessment. With your go ahead I'can do the job next week. The price is $375 cash."

It made sense to me and the price was great, so I said yes.

A week later he arrived in a cool van set up for windshield work, installed the windshield and it is perfect!

His recollection of two and four door history was the key so for that and his professionalism I gave him a great tip too.

Paul

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Car is a 2017 SE 6MT with sunroof and rain sensing wipers

One morning in late 2017 a pebble chipped the windshield and by the end of the day there was a crack half way across.

Attempt #1.
A week later, I schedule with Safelite. They arrive, take a few measurements and say its the wrong windshield because the tint cutouts for the rain sensor and VIN windows are off. They refunded my $500 soon thereafter with no explanation.

Attempt #2:
A week later I try another glass company. They say they cant get it because "the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet".

Attempt #3:
I wait a bit until summer of 2018. I schedule with Safelite again thinking someone made a mistake. But they bring the wrong windshield just the same and refund money like in #1.

Attempt #4:
Thinking all this trouble would have passed by now, in April 2020 I schedule with Safelite again but alas, situations #1 and #3 occur again. The Tech acts really confused.

Attempt #5:
A day after #4, a manager from Safelite calls and admits that he is frustrated with all this history and says he is going to order the OEM windshield. The price is $800 and I say "WOO-HOO, no problem". A week later they come to my house and guess what happened? YEP. The tech asks me if I really have a 2015 car and not a 2017 car . Oh jeez. I say its a 2017 bought new off the lot, and every time I've scheduled I have supplied the VIN. He said he'll have the manager call me but that never happened. They finally gave up.

So now Im going on three years with a cracked windshield. It hasn't been that big a deal to me because the crack is down low (although it is almost all the way across now) but this is getting ridiculous.

I am not knocking Safelite here; I am assuming they haven't been bringing me the same windshield over and over, and they tried their best. Maybe I am being naive?

Anybody else having this same challenge?

What would you do next?

Go to dealer?

I'm going through the same thing with my 2019 now. Crazy.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Why working so hard, Comprehensive deductible from insurance and let them
Schedule it - but obviously not with Safelite.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Wouldn't the dealer be a viable option?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I'm surprised you didn't try a body shop or a dealer at some time throughout that long process. There are a couple near me that will replace any of the windows with the OEM part for less than Safelite.

WhiteRabbit_MK7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI MK7.5
after all those problems I would honestly just ask the dealer for a quote with it already installed, if it isnt a crazy number I would go with the dealer.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Why working so hard, Comprehensive deductible from insurance and let them
Schedule it - but obviously not with Safelite.
My insurance will only work through Safelite. If I go through their automated call system and select auto glass, it immediately redirects me to a Safelite representative. I'm assuming this means there are no partnered body shops that will do glass. While CA law says I can take my car anywhere, this means I have to first prove the glass needs to be replaced instead of repaired, then pay for it myself, submit a reimbursement up to how much Safelite would have charged, and then rely solely on whoever did the work to correct any issues if any pop up. I hadn't used Safelite previously, so it seemed like more hassle than it's worth. The guy did an semi-okay job, but I already have 2 chips in the new windshield, so maybe I'll try going through someone else next time.

Wouldn't the dealer be a viable option?
after all those problems I would honestly just ask the dealer for a quote with it already installed, if it isnt a crazy number I would go with the dealer.

Most dealers do not do their own glass work, they contract it out, aka Safelite. Going through the dealer only adds another middleman if you have any issues, because you'll contact the dealer, who contacts Safelite to correct anything.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My insurance will only work through Safelite. If I go through their automated call system and select auto glass, it immediately redirects me to a Safelite representative. I'm assuming this means there are no partnered body shops that will do glass. While CA law says I can take my car anywhere, this means I have to first prove the glass needs to be replaced instead of repaired, then pay for it myself, submit a reimbursement up to how much Safelite would have charged, and then rely solely on whoever did the work to correct any issues if any pop up. I hadn't used Safelite previously, so it seemed like more hassle than it's worth. The guy did an semi-okay job, but I already have 2 chips in the new windshield, so maybe I'll try going through someone else next time.

Most dealers do not do their own glass work, they contract it out, aka Safelite. Going through the dealer only adds another middleman if you have any issues, because you'll contact the dealer, who contacts Safelite to correct anything.

You know that you can get the chips glued so the crack doesn't continue to spread.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
You know that you can get the chips glued so the crack doesn't continue to spread.

You can also buy DIY resin that has a little apparatus to add some pressure and inject that into the glass as well. I have one chip DIY and one chip professionally done. The DIY is almost invisible, while the professionally done chip is still very noticeable. That was a bigger impact though, so I'm not sure if I would have been able to do any better. Damn rock cut through my clear bra, took off some paint, dented my hood, and then chipped my glass.

vw1320

Got a new windshield finally.

I was at a bar recently with some co-workers and they referred me to one of their friends who does auto glass on the side. While at the bar we went out to my car and I told him the story above. Within 15 seconds he said "Despite you supplying the VIN, I'll bet all those guys were bringing you a windshield for a TWO DOOR GTI. In that year they still made both 2 door and 4 door models. The windshield is indeed different, so that is my assessment. With your go ahead I'can do the job next week. The price is $375 cash."

It made sense to me and the price was great, so I said yes.

A week later he arrived in a cool van set up for windshield work, installed the windshield and it is perfect!

His recollection of two and four door history was the key so for that and his professionalism I gave him a great tip too.

Paul

Mind posting or sending me a pm with info on who you ended up using. In central NJ and need a windshield. I would rather deal with a competent independent versus saving a few bucks with Safelite. Thanks