GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
100% agree. It's one thing to challenge each other, learn from each other, and be respectful; ignorance and arrogance don't have a place, especially on a track. We've all met the corvette drivers ;)...joking...

What do you have against jorts and New Balance?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Uploaded a video from a good friend following me in his M3. I appreciated it, as it gave me a different view of my lines. We had fun all weekend gridding up together. Swopping back and forth. We got caught behind two trains so didn’t get many clean laps.
I've got a chase video from my friend's M3 as well! I really like having that third person view later!

You are a significantly better driver than your friend, but man does having that horsepower help him down the front and rear straight. He was carrying 150mph up to roller coaster! That's pretty darn solid.

Great job on your line, and on keeping it fairly consistent. You've got more trail braking in you! You've got an adjustable rear bar, right? Have you tried going full soft on it and using your brake as your source of rotation for turn in?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Agree. Cliff's posts and answers to requests on PM have been VERY valuable. He knows what he's talking about. Anyone who's been on this forum for a while knows Crild's posts aren't worth reading and learns to just skip over them. He brilliantly said he hoped I crashed on track (yes, really) because I was using a brake pad he likes to dump on. Let's ignore them and move on.

I would agree. His posts are extremely valuable and informative....up untill he installed the ohlins setup.
I have used his build as some inspiration and learning but I have learned to take it all with a massive grain of salt. We all know the massive debacle with the feroddo pads(melt when they get low), the awful experience with ground control (only took 3 attempts at chargebacks and PayPal complaints to get them to refund me my money), and now ohlins telling me it's physically impossible to lower the vehicle as much as he has. My wallet is saltiest of all being out $$ listening to the idiots recommending products on these forums.

Welcome to the forums where you shouldn't take anyone's opinion/advice without being able to experience their car in the environment they drive in.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Enough wang measuring and back to tracking.

So how bad is this oil smoke issue? Is it all EA888's, just some, dependent on track, smokes but oil can resolves issue or do you really need to change the PCV valve like the TCR cars do?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

So how bad is this oil smoke issue? Is it all EA888's, just some, dependent on track, smokes but oil can resolves issue or do you really need to change the PCV valve like the TCR cars do?
As far as I know this issue only arrises if you start running 200tw or slicks from what's around the forums.

If you ever have the issue you just need to get the revised oem plate and problem solved. A catch causes more problems than good especially on a daily.

I've never experienced that issue but I run 300tw tires which may have some impact on it.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

Good luck with that.

Fwiw, I am probably one of the few forum members who have been out on track with other members of this forum, either as a member of the same run group or giving them demo rides in my role as an instructor. If some folks want to think I am full of it, that's fine. They should put me on ignore rather than continually harassing me.

I installed the VWR PCV plate/catch can back in September after a friend showed me video from his car showing my car coughing up a giant cloud of smoke on entry to the Corkscrew at an event in July. If I had to do it again I would take a close look at the redesigned PCV plate some folks post about and see if that is enough to solve the problem, then add a catch can if it is not. Carbon cleaning the valves seems to be a maintenance item on these cars so I have no illusions about being able to prevent that cleaning.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Uploaded a video from a good friend following me in his M3. I appreciated it, as it gave me a different view of my lines. We had fun all weekend gridding up together. Swopping back and forth. We got caught behind two trains so didn’t get many clean laps.

Really nice drive. Thanks for posting.

As Victorofhavoc mentioned, I also really like 3rd person videos. I find them easily as helpful and sometimes better than my in car stuff. My nephew and I (he also drive a Bimmer) try to do that at for at least one session whenever we drive together.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
SuperPro rear trailing arm bushes
SuperPro lower control arm inner and outer bushes

When you get a minute, will you share what SuperPro part numbers you went with, and why chose to replace just the certain ones opposed to replacing all the bushings? Was it from potential NVH increase? Or is there less bang for the buck with doing them all and you just chose the ones that make the most significant change? Thanks!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So did VW use this revised PCV in production cars? What years?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
So did VW use this revised PCV in production cars? What years?
I know one local person who said it didn't help on his s3, but I'm not sure what revision he used and he said the dealer installed it for him...

Alternatively, you can solve the issue from ever occurring at the pcv by getting a properly baffled oil pan.

IMO, a catch can is a band-aid while a proper pcv (if it works) and baffled oil pan are solving the problem at the root.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I know one local person who said it didn't help on his s3, but I'm not sure what revision he used and he said the dealer installed it for him...

Alternatively, you can solve the issue from ever occurring at the pcv by getting a properly baffled oil pan.

IMO, a catch can is a band-aid while a proper pcv (if it works) and baffled oil pan are solving the problem at the root.

I've been searching for baffled oil pan for the mk7, haven't had much luck.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I believe iAbed makes the only truly baffled oil pan for our car
From what I can tell most of the sources of aftermarket pans say baffled pans are a bunch of bull and aren't properly designed to even do anything other than add "baffled" to the title.