GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Golf R Haldex issues

Olimpiu

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I just recently became a proud owner of a 2015 Golf R which sort of came with some issues one of them being, and this is is only from my testing , the lack of the all wheel drive system working properly. Ive only owned the car for 2 months now and it has already been in and out with numerous issues. Some I've gotten taken car of but this Haldex issue has not been dealt with yet.

Little backstory, the week I bought the car I launched it to see how it felt. I never owned an all wheel drive car before so I wanted to see what the fuss about. I went through all the steps, put it in race mode, turned traction control and stability off after I drove it for about a good half hour, pushed the break pedal to the floor then accelerator to the floor. Burned out for 3 seconds sliding sideways, mind you on a straight level street, with nearly no grip. Car came with tires at 4/32 thread(conti tires) so I figured hey maybe I didn't warm them up enough but then again that should not matter on a hot day being that its supposed to be all wheel drive. Anyway, I took it out a few times on back roads pushing its limits and it's leads of fun with some good amount of understeer like many people who reviewed the Golf R's said it has. I launched the car during the past 2 months about 5 more times with either only traction off and others with both systems off. Same results and I changed my tires week two to Michelin PS4's. I should not be burning out my front wheels at any point from my understanding of how this car is supposed to work. I also tried just taking off without launching from a standstill with traction and stability ON and all I get is my traction control coming on and about 50% - 75% grip. So I took it to the dealer close to me and they checked whatever they checked. I told them everything about the way it drives and they said everything is fine and the haldex works just fine so they had nothing to fix. No error codes nothing. Now I read a lot of stories on other forums that the dealer would have a hard time diagnosing this issue and that most of them had to find definitive proof that it did not engage, even if it didn't give any error codes.

I would like to hear your guys opinions on this matter because the car feels like a front wheel drive and I also understand that normal driving the car, it's front wheel drive and only sends power to the back when it needs it. In spirited driving it should engage and to me it feels like it does not. It should also be able to launch without leaving skid marks for 50 feet. I would just like some input from you guys as to how I can approach this situation and get it fixed.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Your Haldex is toast. Unfortunately you'll have to get that code pop up before dealer will do anything. You can also persuade shop foreman to take a ride with you and demonstrate your car's behavior but that won't guarantee you a fix, they need that code. Keep launching your car till it pops up (hope you have a VCDS cable). Good luck!

G7Rules

Ready to race!
You're right, this is absolutely not normal behavior. The Haldex is shot, whether it's the pump, electronics, clutches, or just needs more fluid. My guess is the electronic controller will need replaced.

Have someone record a slow mo video of your wheels while doing a launch and compare that to some of the ones online. You will see the front start to slip for <1/4 rotation, then the rear will kick in and they will all soon at the same speed. Yours will likely just spin the front wheels. Use this as part of your case to show VWoA proof of the failed Haldex unit, even if the code does pop up.

Olimpiu

Also I recently bought OBD11 to mess with some of the features on the car. Ive read that id be able to get error messages off of it and maybe use those as proof as well. Idk so much about constantly launching my car though. I wouldnt want the dealer to claim some sort of abuse and not work on it.

Langer1

Passed Driver's Ed
What do you mean by flagged as reflashed?
If the dealer/VWOA finds out your ECU has been reflashed with a tune, you get flagged with a TD1 and lose warranty. Happened to me and my GTI about 6 years ago. If your ecu hasn't been tuned/flashed, then you have no worries.

Olimpiu

I called VW America as well and discussed the issue with them and they told me that I should take a mechanic or the service manager for a ride and show them the issues that it's having. I think that might be my best bet but like Tigsel said they still might need the code.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
I would do what G7Rules suggests too. Get a friend to film it in 240FPS. Your front wheels should at most slip 1/4 rotation before the backs intervene. I'm guessing you'll smoke the fronts before the backs (if they ever do) engage and then show the dealership the video. Hopefully, the backs never engage and they shouldn't need a code and replace it for you free of charge.

Glad it is CPO (although sometimes, dealerships don't see that it is/was flashed/reflashed) so make sure if they push back that you tell them you bought it CPO and that they shouldn't have sold you a car that was previously flashed if they are not willing to warranty it blah blah blah.

Olimpiu

Yeah I have a go pro 5. I think that it's capable of recording at 240fps if not at least 120. I'm getting the F5 module replaced for my entertainmemt system this month on the 23rd because the original dealer flashed the entertainment system to an E Golf somehow and its not reversible. I will deffinetly see if i can work this issue in again that day.

josh_

Passed Driver's Ed
Yo!

I went through the same thing recently. See the thread below for my progression;

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39947&highlight=josh_

Nutshell;

My Haldex failed.
I was able to get the car to throw the AWD code by testing the system om a dirt lot.
It took 3 times before the dealer decided to replace the whole Haldex rear end. It is just how the process goes.

Check out my thread for more details....

Cheers and good luck!

josh

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Where In California are you? I’ve replaced I believe 5 for no power transfer at my dealer, we can diagnose the issue with no stored faults.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Where In California are you? I’ve replaced I believe 5 for no power transfer at my dealer, we can diagnose the issue with no stored faults.

Please do tell more. It would definitely help some of us before wasting time at the dealer.