GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 Audi A3??

C4L

Banned
From C&D what they 'know' so far regarding the US-Spec 8V A3 (I've been tracking this car like a hawk for my replacement as well)

A3 5-Door - Q2/Q3 2013 Release
- Appx. 220hp 2.0T ONLY (Same as MKVII GTI)

A3 Sedan - Q4 2013/Q1 2014 Release
- Appx. 220hp 2.0T (Same as MKVII GTI)
- Appx. 190hp 2.0TDI (Same as MKVII GTD)

S3 Sedan - Unknown release but confirmed US offering
- Est. 300hp 2.0T

RS3 Sedan - Unknown release/unconfirmed US offering
- Est. 400hp 2.5T

POSSIBLY the Convertible will make it Stateside as well...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-next-gen-audi-a3-the-body-styles-well-get/

C4L

Banned
That's what worries me. A base price means nothing when it comes to Audi. A price closer to 50k, even loaded, would seem to overlap too much with the S4. Who knows though.

Pricing has already been announced in Europe and here it is (with the Golf/GTI pricing as well just for comparison to give you an idea of possible US pricing)

8V (NEW) A3 Sportback 1.8T FWD S-Tronic - From 24,xxx GBP
MKVI GTI 5-Door DSG - From 27,xxx GBP
8P (OLD) S3 Sportback S-Tronic - From 31,xxx GBP
MKVI Golf R 5-Door DSG - From 33,xxx GBP
8P (OLD) RS3 Sportback S-tronic - From 39,xxx GBP

You can see that the A3 and GTI are priced similarly in the UK with the Golf R and S3 priced similarly as well. I am sure they will just artificially just bump the prices for the US 8V but I would still guess $28k-$30k for the A3 base price, $36k-$38k for the S3, and the RS3 in the $45k-$50k range with just a few options (like other RS model Audis).

Just figure a pretty typical 1:1 pricing ratio between the UK and the US (even though I know the current exchange rate is different).

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
8V (NEW) A3 Sportback 1.8T FWD S-Tronic - From 24,xxx GBP
MKVI GTI 5-Door DSG - From 27,xxx GBP
8P (OLD) S3 Sportback S-Tronic - From 31,xxx GBP
MKVI Golf R 5-Door DSG - From 33,xxx GBP
8P (OLD) RS3 Sportback S-tronic - From 39,xxx GBP

You can see that the A3 and GTI are priced similarly in the UK with the Golf R and S3 priced similarly as well. I am sure they will just artificially just bump the prices for the US 8V but I would still guess $28k-$30k for the A3 base price, $36k-$38k for the S3, and the RS3 in the $45k-$50k range with just a few options (like other RS model Audis).

HE'S BAAAAAAAACK.... ;)

I cannot see the S3 starting that low here at all. I mean, my car is not even completely loaded and the sticker was $37k, so a loaded A3 is already at $40K-ish in the US. If the S3 were to start that low here, it would have to literally have no options on it, imho. Your S3 sportback above is also probably the 2dr version, and your A3 comparison is also a bit off, as thats the 1.8T and not the 2.0T...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
those seats.. the interior.. everything :drool:

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
I have literally had dreams about this car. I would freaking take it over a brand new B8 S4 with a sports differential. THAT is how bad I want this car.

I am in such a shit predicament right now! I have a deal being worked on an R... and I don't know if I should pass it up to wait for this and be possibly let down by Audi, or jump on it and then possibly hate myself in the next year. FML.

Hell, I think I would be happy with an A3 S-Line and K04 dat ho!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
wait.

C4L

Banned
HE'S BAAAAAAAACK.... ;)

I cannot see the S3 starting that low here at all. I mean, my car is not even completely loaded and the sticker was $37k, so a loaded A3 is already at $40K-ish in the US. If the S3 were to start that low here, it would have to literally have no options on it, imho. Your S3 sportback above is also probably the 2dr version, and your A3 comparison is also a bit off, as thats the 1.8T and not the 2.0T...

By that 'logic'

A4 2.0T Quattro Prestige S-Line - From $47,300 USD
S4 Premium Plus - From $47,600 USD

And the current 8P A3 2.0T Sportback already lists from just $27,270 in the US. The MBQ is supposed to be cheaper than the outgoing platform. It is for the already released/for sale MKVII Golf as well... They will be cheaper across the board OR have more standard equipment.

And the S3 SPORTBACK figure is of course the 5-door version. Hence the 'Sportback' nomenclature... Those are the REAL prices in the UK...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
OK, so you basically proved my point, it will have to be around $42K in the US to equal the prestige A3 pricing....

C4L

Banned
OK, so you basically proved my point, it will have to be around $42K in the US to equal the prestige A3 pricing....

The 8V A3 is cheaper and with better packaging than the 8P A3. The same will be true of the S3 and RS3 as well.

Try this then with 'S' cars we DO having pricing info in both markets for;
S4- From 38,830 GBP
S4 - From $47,600 USD (with more standard equipment as well)

So considering the S3 is already priced from 31,xxx GBP that means it would be priced from $38,xxx...

That is the same relative UK-Spec to US-Spec pricing for the 'S' model car of the A3 line.

Just stick with loose figures of $28k for the A3 (just like now), $38k for the S3 (relative and released UK-Spec price), and $48k for the RS3 (relative and released UK-Spec price).

Seems pretty clear to me. But remember, the base A3 is going to change in price and packaging as well. That will help you understand the price of the S3/RS3 being lower than you might think as well.

That is my educated guess and I am sticking to it. All the evidence adds up to me. If you think different then only time will tell.:)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
i understand the "educated" part of it, I just don't see it happening.

C4L

Banned
i understand the "educated" part of it, I just don't see it happening.

But why?

If you admit that it all adds up, using actual figures of already released pricing on existing products, why do you think it would be different?

You could take (and I have) this generalized pricing approach for ALL UK-Spec/US-Spec Audi models and see the effective 'rule' when it comes to their pricing in their respective marketplace. From the A3 all the up to the R8 GT its practically a given. Why would the A3/S3/RS3 be any different?

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
B8 S4 starts @ $49k here in the states. *edit* that is WITH destination, so your original number is actually correct.

I am betting a base S3, if we get it, will start about 40k. That gives essentially a 40k, 50k, and 60k price points for S models here in the states.

However, they could have plans to let the S3 "replace" the outgoing R model and actually end up starting around 38k MAYBE. Perhaps they plan on the next R coming with a 2.5T and that will stop cross shopping between R and S3 and therefore prevent inter-brand competition.

I can't see Audi doing the S3 for 45k or more. Why would anyone take that over an S4 is beyond me at that price.