GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 1.6 Tdi brake pad replacement

Anzani

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has changed pads on a 2014 mk7 1.6 tdi recently? Check brake light came on this morning on the commute so I've ordered a set today so will refit some night this week/weekend.

Anything to watch out for? Or any links to previous threads/tutorials on same?

Cheers in advance!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dead easy two bolts, to remove caliper, pads are held onto bracket (not caliper), remove pads, insert new pads then you will need to push the piston back into the caliper & at the same time bleed of the surplus fluid from the caliper bled nipple (undo it). If you do not then by forcing the fluid back into the ABS unit you can flip the valve seals...

The new set of pads should come with four new bolts & a new warning sensor wire.
Be careful when removing & installing pads as the shims glued on the back are sided & directional, so you have two pads the same & two which are unique...the ones that are the same fit the outside face & the others are the inside face & look at which side is left & right. Also remember to fit the ABS sensor wire to the correct pad!

Calliper pin bolts 13mm socket & 17mm spanner to hold
Torque settings Calliper pin 35Nm 26lbft (always renew or thoroughly clean & use blue threadloc if ok)

Apply a small amount of Ceramic grease to the caliper bracket where the spring clips fit, this might be included with the pads, if not use this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...Xmintex+cer.TRS0&_nkw=mintex+ceratec&_sacat=0

DO NOT use copper grease.....that's old hat now...Ok for hubs/alloys but not for brake pads......

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just had a thought....I was talking about the 288mm & 312mm disc brakes...you might have the 276mm disc brake which use a different caliper & bracket design....

Anzani

Thanks Golfdave! I'm not sure what spec brakes they are, but from your detailed description i think i understand the process enough to give it a go and figure it out. I've changed them on my mothers GTI before so should be ok with these. Cheers!