GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

19" or keep 18" and lower

Strega511

Passed Driver's Ed
2016 autobahn. Bought last may. Love driving the car. I just want to get rid of the gap. Bought new BBS wheels and tires and stayed with the 18"s. Now i'm thinking maybe I should of went with 19". I want the look but don't want to sacrifice the ride. So 19" or lower?? Thanks

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Just go a bit lower. 19s with properly sized tires wont do anything for fender gap.

ejones725

Passed Driver's Ed
19" rims are heavier and more expensive, tires are more expensive and ride will be more harsh. Thats at least why i stuck with 18".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
2016 autobahn. Bought last may. Love driving the car. I just want to get rid of the gap. Bought new BBS wheels and tires and stayed with the 18"s. Now i'm thinking maybe I should of went with 19". I want the look but don't want to sacrifice the ride. So 19" or lower?? Thanks

If you want to get rid of the gap you should probably consider lowering your ride height, not get bigger wheels because the larger the diameter the shorter the sidewall of the tires that will make the gap even more pronounced especially if you accidentally got the wrong width/offset.

If you want a real nice look, lower your ride and get 19's. That is what I ran on my 16 Autobahn. It looked real good.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I bought 19" pretorias for my 2016 autobahn and drove around MI roads. It looked great and had a little bit of ride sacrifice which i was totally fine. Bur every pothole on the road made me feel like i was going to damage the wheels anytime. Within a week i switched to 18" pretorias.

So this decision would totally depend on the quality of roads in and around your area.

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
19's and lower. :D

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Better offset does a lot more to make the gap less noticeable than larger diameter wheels; it doesn't reduce the gap but by having them less tucked in, it makes it less obvious. If your BBS wheels already have the proper offset and you still don't like it, it's time to lower it. That being said, 19"s look great on this car if you're willing to live with the trade offs (covered pretty well above). I run 19" in the summer, 18" in the winter as a compromise.

And I would stick to 18" unless you have the performance pack. The base brakes would look silly behind 19".

Strega511

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, it does have the PP. The BBS wheels probably don't have the right offset since it looks like I would need 20mm in the rear to be close to flush.
I think I'm staying with the 18"

Strega511

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, it does have the PP. The BBS wheels probably don't have the right offset since it looks like I would need 20mm in the rear to be close to flush.
I think I'm staying with the 18"

So that raises another ?? 20mm almost 3/4". Seems like a lot to me.

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
So that raises another ?? 20mm almost 3/4". Seems like a lot to me.

I used 13mm/20mm spacers on the f/r with my stock 18's. Not that much.

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
So, has anyone figured out just how much tire we can get in our wheel wells without rubbing or bottoming out? I just bought a '17 SE (with big brakes). I would like to go to some 19" Super Sports with some Enkei Rajiin rims. The combo Tire Rack recommends are 19x8" rims with a 45 offset with some 235/35ZR19's tires. I believe that's the same offset as stock, so I'm guessing that the wheels still won't be flush and that there will also still be a gap. I'm okay with a set of springs also, but I don't really wish to put spacers on my wheels. Any thoughts on this combo? Thanks!!!

Last edited: