GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" Wheels for Winter Tires on GTIs?

BarryM

Car(s)
2021 GTI
I'm thinking way ahead, well, at least for someone living in the northern hemisphere at this time of year, to fitting my '21 GTI with snow tires. Looking for advice on people who have successfully mounted 17" wheels on their GTI, concern being, of course that smaller diameter wheels might not fit over the standard GTI brakes. The advantage to the smaller wheels mounted with higher profile tires is significant if you live in area that is known for potholes...

Thanks in advance.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Tire Rack has a selection of 17" wheels that will clear the brakes.

Got these for mine two years ago:

blizzaks.jpg

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
17's are great for winter, I've been running them for about 3 seasons now. There are many 17 wheels that will clear the PP calipers and some that will clear the Macan/TT-S calipers.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Thanks for the link, I ran a few searches on this site because I was sure that this had been discussed in the past, but always came up empty.
Try type Golfmk7 and then whatever it is you are searching into Google. The search function on the forum is garbage. “Golfmk7 which 17” wheels clear PP brakes” should bring many results.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Tire Rack to the rescue. These are 17x7.5s, Sport Edition brand (their private label brand)