GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" tire size recommendations - clearance and rubbing questions

ktm137

Hi all,

I picked up a set of 17x8 ET40 Motegi Traklite MR131's over the holidays.

I know they're close on clearing my 2018 SE PP brakes - I need to make sure the tire place is careful with weight placement.

However, I'm trying to decide on tire sizes - options are:

225/45/17 (closest to OEM 225/40/18 OD)
235/45/17 (only slightly taller, but wider)
245/40/17 (widest of course, and shorter OD - slightly better acceleration)

Currently, I'm at stock height, and have the SuperPro camber mounts to install.

Looking at UHP summer tires - knowing that some run wider than others.

I'd like to do the 245/40/17's, but two concerns:

- Rubbing/sticking out of the fender with the ET40 offset.
- Some people have rubbing on the fuel filler pipe with wider tires/lower offset wheels. Is this a concern in this case?

Any experiences/feedback/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Kevin M. '18 GTI SE 6MT

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I’m not really sure. The MSS spring is lowered all the way so about 20mm ride drop. Koni red SA shocks. It is the same setup they use on GTI, the fender flares on the Alltrack are a styling thing. I don’t think they actually give anymore clearance.
Currently running 275/40/17 on 17x9 et45, and I can say that is as wide as it gets! Minor rub on fuel filler neck with two 100kilo cousins in the rear. At full lock in front minor rub. I really don’t believe anymore tire would go under there. I do have Superpro LCA and camber mounts. Rear set at 1.4 meg, front 2.1neg.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Same wheel. 235/45/17 RE71R. Zero clearance issues. Stock height.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I run 235/45 on 17x8.5 +40 with -2.1 degrees of camber up front and I could easily run a a 245/45 tire as long as I raise the suspension a bit. At stock height, even without the camber it should fit.

On another set of wheels (17x9 +45) I run 245/40 FK510's and definitely get more road feel because of the smaller sidewall, but will be going 255/40 in the future.

Here are 245/45 Indy 500's on 17x9 +45 Advanti S1, lowered on KW V1 from another forum user.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Meant to reply - did you tell your tire mounter anything specific about weight placement?

From a test fit without tires, the clearance is close, until the 'step' on the wheel barrel.

Thanks,
Kevin
Indeed I did. Static balanced. Weights may not clear the PP caliper if placed near that “step”.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I run 245/40 17 RE71R's (which run wide) and I'm about just over an inch lower with -2 camber. no issues at all. I use 225/45 17 for my street tires with no issue either.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I run 245/40 17 RE71R's (which run wide) and I'm about just over an inch lower with -2 camber. no issues at all. I use 225/45 17 for my street tires with no issue either.
Wouldn’t mind seeing some pics of your stance with the Potenzas if you can.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Wouldn’t mind seeing some pics of your stance with the Potenzas if you can.

I'll take a couple pics today and post them, but they're currently shoehorned on my Runlite 7.5" wide rims, because I used to run in GS autocross class. I have a set of RSE16's in 8.5 on the way.

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
I’m not really sure. The MSS spring is lowered all the way so about 20mm ride drop. Koni red SA shocks. It is the same setup they use on GTI, the fender flares on the Alltrack are a styling thing. I don’t think they actually give anymore clearance.
Currently running 275/40/17 on 17x9 et45, and I can say that is as wide as it gets! Minor rub on fuel filler neck with two 100kilo cousins in the rear. At full lock in front minor rub. I really don’t believe anymore tire would go under there. I do have Superpro LCA and camber mounts. Rear set at 1.4 meg, front 2.1neg.

if you don't mind somefuncomet... what brand of tires are you running? trying to get an idea of contact path width. i'm currently running 255/40/17's nitto's NT05's on 17x9 et45 and am looking to go wider as there are no 265/40/17 extreme summer tire options. would you mind posting some pics of fitment or P.M.ing me a link to an IG or FB? sorry about the high maintenance nature of my post but, i have some pretty nice mid range coilovers with camber adjustment on order and some and supporting suspension parts ready to install. i really would love to run 275/40/17's and appreciate the fact you just took some of the guesswork out of it! thank you in advance.