GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 GTI S Chirping Noise

monolith

I recently bought a brand new 2017 GTI S and less than a month later I heard this chirping noise coming from the engine at the first start of the day. I took it to the local VW dealership and they said it was the serpentine belt and drive belt. They switched both parts out and said the noise was gone. The day after I picked it up the noise was still there!

Today I took it in to a different dealership to see if they can find out whats going on.

Has anyone else experienced this problem before? if so, what was it and how was it fixed.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Either the bearings in the tensor, alternator, AC...can't tell from the video which it is but it definitely sound like a metallic squeak. Any of those would be changed as a unit, they come with the bearings already installed. I'm sure someone at the dealership will figure it out

monolith

Either the bearings in the tensor, alternator, AC...can't tell from the video which it is but it definitely sound like a metallic squeak. Any of those would be changed as a unit, they come with the bearings already installed. I'm sure someone at the dealership will figure it out

I believe they switched out the tensor the first time, but I could be wrong. I hope they find the source :(

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
From what you described they only changed the belts. They'll probably listen to the different parts of the motor with a listening device and change out Whatever failed

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
harmonic balancer =crank pulley... they drill holes in it to balance the vibration (harmonics) of the engine.

But I agree, bearing noise.

Belt with chirp regularly, varying with RPM. Big issue on mk5 FSIs. The print on the belt and idler made a funky noise. Regular though, chirp, chirp, chirp.

Mine sounded like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJv4lp6Nnq8

I removed the printed-on white label from the belt and replaced the tensioner and the two (or three) other idlers and it went away.

For belt noise (in general), if you blip the throttle it will increase in frequency.

A rogue ball (or roller) in a bearing will go off as it feels fit. Sort of like the video you posted. random.

Last edited:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
That's the harmonic damper rubbing against the plastic front main seal.

I had the exact same sound when I installed a Fluidampr.

I'm still haven't narrowed down why it happening, but that sound is unmistakably the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Tico63

Ready to race!
I have the same issue on my car. For some reason it happens when I shift from 4th, 5th, and 6th gear using DSG. It's a small chirp, I find myself trying to make the car chirp lol but it doesn't sound normal. It almost sounds like a small turbo flutter. I haven't done anything to change it because it doesn't seem like a big deal.