GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1,000 Miles

Bigbrownsofa

42 mpg is what happens when you leave it on Sport! Company car so not overly worried.

As for average speed - no idea whats going on here. Certainly not what I've been doing. Not sure ow the car works this out, the 34 hours seems a little too long as well, even allowing for waiting outside the supermarket for the wife.

A few other observations after 1,000 miles

Active front assist - now turned off. The car doesn't seem to know when I approach a car stopped at a roundabout, I have things under control! Nice idea though

ACC - very good actually - especially for roadworks with restricted speed limits

The right hand indicator stalk - I have begun evening classes on this in an attempt to master it.

Automatic Wipers - as bad as I remember them from my old Peugeot days. Tips here on sensitivity appreciated.

The Sound Pack - brilliant. The best option selected!

Range (on anything but Eco) - fine but big adjustment after my huge tank on my old 320d Touring

Dom

Stueck9356

Ready to race!
The auto wiper is nice. On the US spec, the intermittent setting has four rain drops, from small to big. The small one means less wiping, and the bigger drop you set it to, the less rain needed to activate it. With auto wipers, they have a max time between wipes, but if that threshold of rain-on-window is passed, they will wipe when needed. So for example, if the 'small raindrop' or slowest setting is 10 seconds, the. The auto wipers will wipe every 10 seconds, OR when enough rain is on the windshield to trigger them. The bigger the raindrop, the shorter the 'max' time will be, and less rain will trigger it. If the wipers are set to 'on' then they will go to intermittent when you stop, and then the 'rain drop' setting takes over.

Complicated, but once you figure it out its pretty smart.

Hooklyn

Banned
Well, 29mph x 34.51 hours of driving equals 1000.79 miles, which matches the display.

It is a bit off since 51 minutes in an hour is actually 0.85 hours, not 0.51 which would be 31 minutes.

So really it is this;

29mph x 34.85 hours = 1,010.65 miles.

And that likely takes into account the time's he said he was idling or waiting somewhere...

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
What are you driving 'Bigbrownsofa'? You profile still says BMW !!

BleezyD

Ready to race!
I dont quite understand. You averaged a speed of only 29mph over 1000 miles??? That must be some crazy stop n go traffic huh?

Wagoneer2

It is a bit off since 51 minutes in an hour is actually 0.85 hours, not 0.51 which would be 31 minutes.

So really it is this;

29mph x 34.85 hours = 1,010.65 miles.

And that likely takes into account the time's he said he was idling or waiting somewhere...

Try looking at the .51 as decimal hours rather than minutes..

:D

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
The auto wiper is nice. On the US spec, the intermittent setting has four rain drops, from small to big. The small one means less wiping, and the bigger drop you set it to, the less rain needed to activate it. With auto wipers, they have a max time between wipes, but if that threshold of rain-on-window is passed, they will wipe when needed. So for example, if the 'small raindrop' or slowest setting is 10 seconds, the. The auto wipers will wipe every 10 seconds, OR when enough rain is on the windshield to trigger them. The bigger the raindrop, the shorter the 'max' time will be, and less rain will trigger it. If the wipers are set to 'on' then they will go to intermittent when you stop, and then the 'rain drop' setting takes over.

Complicated, but once you figure it out its pretty smart.

X2. Uk spec cars are the same, and they work great :D.

GC854

Ready to race!
I got the same sort of consumption figure in my first 1000 miles. Last week on a run from Lincolnshire to Glasgow completed in sport mode and not using the ACC and driving between 70-75 I got 57.7. A record for the trip which is around 300 miles.

The auto wipers do take a bit of experimenting with. On motorways and unrestricted duals I find using second indent from the left (sorry to be vague but the car is outside) works quite well in normal conditions. However on slower roads that setting does not appear to be so effectual and I have to move it until the wipers cross the screen at a rate which clears the water!

pjr

Ready to race!
The time shown on the trip computer is how long the ignition has been on, not necessarily with the engine running, so this will lower the calculated average speed. I've noticed this while sitting in the car with the ignition on, and the time shown on the trip computer has been counting up.

Also, the display is in hours & minutes, as mine ticked over this morning from 77:59 to 78:00 hours :D