GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 vs. HPA dogbone mount- performance improvement vs Vibration

Aphron

CW :)!
Fwiw I had the 034 engine and trans mount, plus the upper and lower dogbone insert. Made a noticeable difference, sadly I did front brake pads at same time and they rattled. Thought it was the upper insert rattling so I bought hpa to be done with it. Front brake Brembo’s were rattling lol oops. After first installing the hpa for first 2 weeks it was god awful, whole damn car rattled and shaked. I ended up taking out the hpa then reinstalling everything and it was much smoother. Honestly without the ac on it’s not very noticeable aside from taking off, or reverse. Living in SoCal I enjoy the ac, and being in traffic with the ac is fine if you’re moving and above 5mph. If you’re stopped it can get annoying. I’ve decided despite loving how much traction and less slop there is to ultimately go back to oem with the 034 inserts. Car is otherwise stock aside from helix lol. If I was taking it to track or stage 2 hpa would be well worth it, for stock not so much being in traffic often.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
I installed my Spulen mount today and man, it was nothing like the video install. It seemed like one corner on the back end would just not slide in as described. But, it is in, torqued and seems to be good to go. Some vibration and noise but instantly felt tighter and smoother shifts. I'd say it was $40 well spent but I can't help but feel unsettled with the lack of ease of install. Any one else have insight or experience with this?

Here we are some time later. The Spulen unit was uninstalled after a few months. The NVH was god awful.

Just got around to installing an 034 insert over the weekend and not only did it install easier, there is virtually no NVH and the performance change was instantly noticeable.

Aphron

Just got done taking my hpa puck and dogbone out, and put in the oem lower puck with 034 top and bottom insert. It feels mostly the same except there are literally no vibrations. Even with the ac on, I love it! To those who are on the fence, I’d ride with someone who has what you’re looking for to see if it’s what you want. Putting the oem lower puck in was GOD AWFUL.. and it’s slightly crooked so it creaks every now and then. Still better than all the hpa vibrations!

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Just got done taking my hpa puck and dogbone out, and put in the oem lower puck with 034 top and bottom insert. It feels mostly the same except there are literally no vibrations. Even with the ac on, I love it! To those who are on the fence, I’d ride with someone who has what you’re looking for to see if it’s what you want. Putting the oem lower puck in was GOD AWFUL.. and it’s slightly crooked so it creaks every now and then. Still better than all the hpa vibrations!

Nice, how did you get the OEM puck in? Did you have to pull the subframe, or did you rig up some sort of press? I'm happy with my setup as-is, but when it comes time to sell/trade the car, I may toss in an OEM puck.

Aphron

I used a motorcycle jack with a 4x4 going across the two bars and the middle hitting the puck. Because I had the hpa it came with a longer bolt, I was able to use that bolt to keep the puck held up and somewhat lined up. It would pop in but the bottom part of it would bow out like an oval and not go up. I filed down the side where the dogbone arm comes in at a slight angle so it wouldn’t catch on the subframe. Then focused on pressing that area in versus the rest of it. I bought the oem puck set which came with top and bottom pucks, only installing the bottom, I used the top puck on the jack to push in the bottom puck the rest of the way and it’s in there as best as it’s going to be. It’s slightly crooked which pisses me off but there’s no way it’s coming back out. Didn’t take subframe off, but would made it much easier with a real press I would hope.

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!
I removed my lower 034 Dogbone Mount last week after learning about the new upper mount to keep the arm from bending and possible failure.

I have noticed the car feels more “soft” when accelerating. I miss the slight bump when giving it throttle, which I guess was at least partially the result of the mount.

When I removed it, the mount was slightly bent. 034 very graciously sent me a brand new one, only asking that I return the old one to them.

I have since received the upper mount.

My question: last time I installed the Dogbone Mount, I used Rhino ramps. No jack, etc. The transmission required a little coaxing the line up the holes so I could replace the bolt. Now that I’ve read a horror story, about someone having engine slip and do some damage, I wonder if I’m over my head until I purchase a set of jack stands. (Jack stands are NOT in the budget since we just had a baby!)

I’d like to put the mounts in but don’t want to do anything stupid. Given I would be removing more bolts and moving things a little more, will the Rhino Ramos be inadequate and/or unsafe?

Also, do I really need to replace the TTY bolts? (I am still using the same lower mount bolt that came with the car.) if so, where can I get them for the lowest price?

Finally, what grease would I use? I have lithium grease and some gear oil I used for an old boat.

Many thanks everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Here is a cake for all the nice guys giving their advice. Can we get back now to the low NVH dogbone mounts ?
I run lower and upper 034 dogbone inserts with BFI stage 1 mounts. There's vibration when taking off from a standstill. It goes away in less that a second. Essentially the instant the DSG clutch engaged fully. There are vibes at WOT (I'm stage 2 with a dp), and they are surely noticeable, but not that bad (i think i hear the roar more than i feel the vibes). At stage 1 the vibrations were more than tolerable.