GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Hey guys,

Alongside our new VW forged wheel project, we are also looking at some options for Winter wheels as it seems a lot of VW owners tend to run their cars year-round. I am currently building out a survey to gauge the community's interest as to which direction we should go for a dedicated VW winter wheel. However, I wanted to run through some ideas to get some detailed input before going live with the survey.

Option #1:

We offer a dedicated Winter Group Buy in early Fall of this year with the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 with options for both Michelin Pilot AS4 All-seasons and Michelin Alpin PA4 Winter Performance tires. The Group Buy discount tiers will likely be the same as the last GB ($250 off plus free mounting/balancing and shipping) and we would likely start shipping orders out by mid/late October. With the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 pricing and the max GB discount, this would mean a set of wheels would cost $1,046 before tires.

Option #2:

We offer a "Winter Spec" version of our current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 without Spoke Scalloping and Knurled beading, which will likely reduce the cost by around $50 per wheel. The weight would be slightly increased due to the removal of the Spoke Scalloping but the idea is that it would be a fair trade-off for an overall reduced cost. Plus, considering these are Winter wheels, the slight increase in weight wouldn't make all that big of a difference for their application. Just like option #1, we would offer a Group Buy in early Fall with the same discount tiers and winter/all-season tire options. However, with the max discount, the "winter spec" SM-10 would cost around $850 before tires.

Another thing to note is if we went with option #1 that might open the door for an all-new rally-inspired wheel design with an emphasis on strength, that we could offer in Winter fitments. This would likely not be available until the following year, however.

I am personally leaning towards option #1, as I feel most enthusiasts would be fine paying the extra $50 per wheel for spoke scalloping and knurled beading but I could be completely wrong. Hence why I wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

Let me know what ya'll think!

-Geirsen

I'd be in for option 1 since I missed out on the last GB.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I am aware of what Apex offers. My statement didn't say "Get Apex forged wheels". I said get the wheels you want (whatever manufacturer that may be). Just seems like throwing $200 away is silly, when you could most likely immediately sell them for at or close to what you paid and not take that same $200 loss.
The group buy covers shipping. I don't get that perk if I'm shipping them (which is the only way to "immediately sell them for what I paid for") and 4 heavy-ass wheels isn't cheap to ship. Not sure what's hard to understand about that.

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
The group buy covers shipping. I don't get that perk if I'm shipping them (which is the only way to "immediately sell them for what I paid for") and 4 heavy-ass wheels isn't cheap to ship. Not sure what's hard to understand about that.
I would be willing to bet you could work something out with Apex that they could ship them to who you sell them too if you could get them sold to a member here. But its your money. It would be worth a shot

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie

Guess you don't have a personal UPS account where you get discounts, but even retail from MI to GA is estimated at $121 (assume 20-25% off shipping if you have an account), shipping isn't that bad. But you could always sell local. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Guess you don't have a personal UPS account where you get discounts, but even retail from MI to GA is estimated at $121 (assume 20-25% off shipping if you have an account), shipping isn't that bad. But you could always sell local. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.
You're welcome to list them on FB marketplace for me and manage dealing with the constant "is this for sale?" with no further replies, "I'll trade you my stock englishtowns plus cash," "will you take $800?," and "ok let's meet an hour from your house and i'll never show up" messages.

Order's cancelled, though, my cash is freed up for other things. Hope they manage a more realistic shipping timeline next time around.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Hey guys,

Alongside our new VW forged wheel project, we are also looking at some options for Winter wheels as it seems a lot of VW owners tend to run their cars year-round. I am currently building out a survey to gauge the community's interest as to which direction we should go for a dedicated VW winter wheel. However, I wanted to run through some ideas to get some detailed input before going live with the survey.

Option #1:

We offer a dedicated Winter Group Buy in early Fall of this year with the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 with options for both Michelin Pilot AS4 All-seasons and Michelin Alpin PA4 Winter Performance tires. The Group Buy discount tiers will likely be the same as the last GB ($250 off plus free mounting/balancing and shipping) and we would likely start shipping orders out by mid/late October. With the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 pricing and the max GB discount, this would mean a set of wheels would cost $1,046 before tires.

Option #2:

We offer a "Winter Spec" version of our current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 without Spoke Scalloping and Knurled beading, which will likely reduce the cost by around $50 per wheel. The weight would be slightly increased due to the removal of the Spoke Scalloping but the idea is that it would be a fair trade-off for an overall reduced cost. Plus, considering these are Winter wheels, the slight increase in weight wouldn't make all that big of a difference for their application. Just like option #1, we would offer a Group Buy in early Fall with the same discount tiers and winter/all-season tire options. However, with the max discount, the "winter spec" SM-10 would cost around $850 before tires.

Another thing to note is if we went with option #1 that might open the door for an all-new rally-inspired wheel design with an emphasis on strength, that we could offer in Winter fitments. This would likely not be available until the following year, however.

I am personally leaning towards option #1, as I feel most enthusiasts would be fine paying the extra $50 per wheel for spoke scalloping and knurled beading but I could be completely wrong. Hence why I wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

-Geirsen
A 17x8 or 17x8.5 with a stronger barrel and spoke design and with a knurled bead would be perfect for winter. It would be a bit heavier than the summer version, but that's well worth it for the added strength. Quite a few of us don't see smooth roads for half the year or more. Could call it a "rally" or "hard-use" version.

It should be able to fit up to a 235/45/17, 245/45/17, and 255/40/17. The 245/45 would be a bit tight on the lowered cars though and may not fit on all depending on ride height. The 235/45 and 245/45 should be between .5"-.75" larger in diameter than the OEM 225/40/18's.

Personally, I'd like to have a lighter set for summer and a stronger set for winter, both in 17x8.5 and using 255/40/17 tires on both, or possibly 235/45 in the winter.

Reyes351

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
I'm patiently waiting for the wheels AND I'm also super hyped to have Apex wheels back on my car, previously a S197 mustang.

I've been doing a lot of self care, projects, and general life things while waiting. Sometimes I forget they're on their way, and it doesn't negatively affect my quality of life in anyway. I set aside the money for it, and I fully prepared for delays since EVERYTHING is backed up because of ongoing world circumstances outside MY control and APEX's.

So anyway, stronger 17x8.5 SM-10s would be amazing for winter and rallycross events. I'm looking for an alltrack and those wheels would absolutely make it on the wagon.

Last edited:

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Hey guys,

Option #1:

Option #2:

-Geirsen
I personally would think option 2 would be better for winter, might even say a 17x8 would be even better for winter

Millsn

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7R
Not sure on your port situation but in the UK in December 2020 we had blocked ports for months (post lockdown). Ships waited offshore but my delivery eventually unloaded in Belgium and the goods were moved by road to the UK.

Can your carrier consider an alternative port?

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Any updates?

Not sure on your port situation but in the UK in December 2020 we had blocked ports for months (post lockdown). Ships waited offshore but my delivery eventually unloaded in Belgium and the goods were moved by road to the UK.

Can your carrier consider an alternative port?

Unfortunately, it isn't quite that easy. We only have 4 containers out of well over a thousand on this particular ship, so we don't really have any say in diverting to another port. Plus, the port delay issue is across most of the west coast, so we wouldn't necessarily be saving any time going to another location to offload.

Currently, the ship is still waiting to offload but it should start to head in to dock here shortly.

EDIT:

It looks like the ship just entered the bay, so not too much longer now! Here is the vessel finder info for those who wish to get a play by play update: https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9457737

-Geirsen

Last edited:

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
Unfortunately, it isn't quite that easy. We only have 4 containers out of well over a thousand on this particular ship, so we don't really have any say in diverting to another port. Plus, the port delay issue is across most of the west coast, so we wouldn't necessarily be saving any time going to another location to offload.

Currently, the ship is still waiting to offload but it should start to head in to dock here shortly.

EDIT:

It looks like the ship just entered the bay, so not too much longer now! Here is the vessel finder info for those who wish to get a play by play update: https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9457737

-Geirsen
This is so exciting! I appreciate all of the communication that you have been able to give us during this process. I would be down with some winter wheels for sure. I can see where the less expensive option would be a big seller for the year-round crowd, especially in the Northeast and Midwest.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Option 2 would be preferred. Cheap winter wheels are great, they're going to be beat up anyway and I don't need the weight savings when they're getting chunky winter rubber anyway. No machining on the side of the spokes also means less likelihood of snow and ice building up in there and causing balance issues. That said, I definitely value having replacement wheels available quickly, so if stocking both sets of wheels would be problematic I'd rather have the normal wheels and be able to get quick replacements in case of pothole death.

Also, holy cow how is the boat still sitting in the harbor waiting for a dock spot??? Frustrating for us, I can't imagine how frustrating it is for your company that can't realize the revenue, not to mention the boat's crew.