GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Reading comprehension fail. That is disappointing there is no bright silver (hyper or race) option :(

Satin Black just barely managed to beat Race Silver in our initial community survey results. While we won't have Race Silver available at launch, there is a pretty high chance that we will introduce that color later on if the demand is there.

I felt the same way. Would have loved to have bright wheels to pop against my dark paint. I've seen anthracite in person and it looks similar to BMW Mineral Gray Metallic in my eye, at least on the EC-7 wheels. I'm hoping that the color is a bit more true to the render photo above in that it's closer the silver.

The renders do a pretty good job of showing how the Anthracite finish will look in person. It is typically a bit lighter than most folks think by just seeing pictures of it online. Anthracite tends to "pop" and lighten up a bit in direct sunlight, too.

Sad there's no 17x8 option. I want something for daily that isn't overly wide.

The main goal for our initial VW wheel release was to offer a street performance fitment, as well as a track-focused fitment. The 17x8.5" ET43 and 18x8.5" ET43 are great for those wanting to run a bit more rubber than stock, while still maintaining a direct-fit without any additional modifications being required. While a 17x8" or 18x8" isn't necessarily off the table, that fitment will more than likely be apart of our winter-specific wheels that we are planning to offer in the future.

-Geirsen

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Sad there's no 17x8 option. I want something for daily that isn't overly wide.

There are literally dozens of current options for 17x8.

I am glad Apex is shooting for 17” x 8.5-9.5.

Might make me ditch my 18x8.5 et43 Ampliforms for 17’s.

BTW, the diff of 8 to 8.5 won’t really change much as far as comfort.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Yeah not sure why you'd be creeping around the development thread for a track focused wheel looking for a 17x8 daily wheel lol

There are literally dozens of current options for 17x8.

I am glad Apex is shooting for 17” x 8.5-9.5.

Not hub centric there isn't. There's only FC04 right now, and one Neuspeed wheel. Plan was to use the FC04 for track and Apex wheels for daily because I prefer the look of the SM-10 and I'd feel better if I destroyed FC04 on the track over the SM-10 lol. Then when I get more advanced (I consider myself intermediate right now), I can use the FC04 as a daily and the Apex as track wheels since the Apex are clearly the better track wheels.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Not hub centric there isn't. There's only FC04 right now, and one Neuspeed wheel. Plan was to use the FC04 for track and Apex wheels for daily because I prefer the look of the SM-10 and I'd feel better if I destroyed FC04 on the track over the SM-10 lol. Then when I get more advanced (I consider myself intermediate right now), I can use the FC04 as a daily and the Apex as track wheels since the Apex are clearly the better track wheels.

Apex has a damage replacement policy... And is less likely to get damaged in the first place. Use the track wheels for the track!

bfury5

Autocross Champion
@APEXWheels assuming you guys might have some 3D models of the wheels by now, any chance we can get an unofficial-rough-guesstimate weight for some of these options? Obviously nothing is final until first hard parts are available for measurement, but I imagine that could help out a bit

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Hub rings exist you know

They do but I do not like them so I only want hub centric. They get stuck way too often and I've seen some melt at the track :\

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
They do but I do not like them so I only want hub centric. They get stuck way too often and I've seen some melt at the track :\

Anti-seize and metal rings.

They pop right off.

I have never had an issue with mine.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
I don't even run hub rings lol. Not sure why you think Apex needs to make another non-track focused wheel when they're clearly trying to create something that is lacking for the MK7 market.

Go buy another set of FC04

Edit: Hell if you're planning to daily the wheels, buy some damn hubrings and get over yourself. You're not going to melt them on the street, and anti-seize exists

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
APEX's bread and butter are track orientated wheels. They are not going to appease the single individual who wants hub centric 17x8 wheels as a daily set. You say you're intermediate but judging by the things you say, I say otherwise. This proposition is not for you, move on.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
1959FE75-39C7-4514-9AE2-4BBB6F5F4EF0.jpeg