GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. Timeisflat

What condition activates the immobilizer, and what gets it deactivated

So I had an issue with the Golf a few days ago. Go to start it and it doesn’t crank, I just get a click. After several attempts I get an “Immobilizer activated” message on the dash. Was in a hurry so I switched to the wife’s car. When I got home grabbed I tried to start it again before I began...
  2. Timeisflat

034 Dogbone: did I over tighten?

Just did the 034 upper an lower dog bone. The instructions I found online (I think they were for Audi A3, but I figured same platform) specified 100 NM plus a 90 degree turn for the big bolt. this is ridiculously tight. Got it to the specified torque setting, when doing the extra turn made it...
  3. Timeisflat

Improving shift feel on the MK7 5-speed; adjustable cable end links?

So I want to clean up the sloppy, imprecise feel of my stock 5 speed and it seems like my options are fairly limited. I don’t want to go short throw because I’m ok with the stock throw distance, so that leaves us with upgrades to: The shift knob Bracket bushings shifter cable bushings or...
  4. Timeisflat

Rear subframe insert on a FWD MK7?

So I’m trying to stiffen up the chassis on my FWD SportWagen, and I’ve noticed that nearly all the rear subframe inserts (034, CTS, ECS) list AWD cars only in their application list. The exception is this one from Torque Solution which states it‘s for all MQB cars, and lists Golf and GTI in the...
  5. Timeisflat

105,000 miles on my MK7 SportWagen; what should I start worrying about?

Car is new to me, and I’m new to the VW world. Got this ‘16 SportWagen FWD 5 speed from an older gentleman who used it for road trips, so it’s mostly highway miles. He took it to the dealership every 10,000 miles for service (I have a HUGE stack of records), repaired whatever they told him...
  6. Timeisflat

SportWagen is BestWagen. Change my mind!

After a month with my GSW, I’m absolutely baffled why anyone would want 2 door or 4 door Golf hatch, the Taos or the Jetta sedan instead. The practicality VW managed to squeeze out of a vehicle this size is insane. More cargo volume than a 2016 Chevy Equinox with the seats down, (only 1 cubic...
  7. Timeisflat

What’s the minimum safe engine speed to operate at?

I’m new to my Sportswagen, and I’m still kinda shocked by how tall the gearing is and how early it wants me to shift. This thing wants to live under 2k, which I can understand since peak torque is available down at 1500rpm, but today I ended up cruising through town at about 33mph, 4th gear...
  8. Timeisflat

Anybody try out cheap AliExpress pedal caps?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000075319761.html?algo_pvid=368c669a-9ae3-4931-bc4f-79b769fd17e3&algo_expid=368c669a-9ae3-4931-bc4f-79b769fd17e3-1&btsid=0bb0600116133579759281939e0cc8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_ I’m not thrilled with the pedals on my base Golf S...
  9. Timeisflat

Is ‘Euro Car’ Castrol Edge special?

New (to me) Golf owner here, getting oil for my first change. I’ve read that the Castrol European formula made in Belgium is superior. Ordered a bunch of Castrol Edge 5W40 from Napa because it’s on Sale. The product shown proudly proclaimed ‘Euro Car’ but what I got doesn’t. Is this just a...