GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine build coming?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Sup guys, so quick back story:

2017 GTI, purchased at 36k miles: single owner and not abused.

Tuned APR Stage 1 LT file then switched to HT file. ~23k total on tunes and sitting at 62.5k now.

Car is never tracked, or raced from a dig, still on factory clutch (for now) but was planning on SB3 endurance like now.

Car is pretty kept up on maintenance: fast forward to today, before pulling the trigger on SB3 endurance i wanted to get some shit done maintenance wise so today we did walnut blasting, swirl valve removal, serpentine belt, new plugs (again- 3/4 time since being tuned) , new coil on cylinder 2 (again).. and for kicks and giggles wanted to do compression before going balls to the wall with a clutch. Results are below after walnut blasting:

Cyl 1: 120 psi
Cyl 2: 90 psi, checked gauge and rechecked, 90 again
Cyl 2: 120 psi
Cyl 4: 130 psi

Back to cylinder 2 “triple check” 115 psi

Attached are pictures of 1/2 valves: we boroscoped the cylinders/walls/valves and everything was clean “two different mechanics were there with me” but we got lost on what is going on with cylinder 2:

We also think the PCV is starting to fail due to build up so we want to switch that, run liquid moly flush, drain and refill oil and rerun compression again before moving forward with tear down and rebuild:

Thoughts/feedback/experience with compression checks/ are all welcomed.

Look at the nasty fluid from the clutch line after swirl valve removal “it was flushed 15k ago”

The clear photo is cylinder 2 valves before walnut blasting:

Thanks in advance!
IMG_6603.jpeg
IMG_6604.jpeg
IMG_6607.jpeg

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Also, apologies: car drove home (1.5 hours) completely normal, no issues average 37 mpg

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
If you’re yielding good results after retesting then I wouldn’t worry, 115 and the rest of the values are close enough to say that the motor is still healthy. Def do a PCV at that mileage and go ahead with the clutch. While you’re down there you can see your rms, and check the condition of that. Don’t change it unless it’s leaking.

I’d say keep going!

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Special note: wifey is fully supportive with whatever needs to be done so no need to worry about that!

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
It did! New gasket on IM

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
@Diggs24 what is your direction in thought for a vacuum leak? Would like to be able to understand your perspective better

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Ahh i see What your looking at