GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
This is what I thought he meant... The dws06 aren't even in the same league as the ps4s.

There's also the thought that by "hook" and "grip" he meant longitudinal, like on ramps. The ps4s are designed for lateral grip and need camber to keep the lateral g from rolling the tire. Certainly possible the dws06 "hook" better in a short straight line run due to their squishier sidewall, narrower track, and lower operating temp.
Yes I am referring to straight line hook. I'm usually halfway up 2nd or a little into 3rd when I get on it. The Pilot's ( I did have Pilot Sport's but don't remember if As4 or not.) would just spin and I would have to lift a little, wait for the grip, then go. This would allow would-be challengers to get a little ahead but the Pilots once hooked, held, and I would reel them in. The Pilots do wear fast, but not as fast as the Indy 500's that were on previously. I tried the DWS06 based off recommendation of others here. The biggest difference though is now my GTi is IS38 swapped and re-tuned to OS. With more power top- end I was thinking the DWS06 would just spin like the Pilots. They hook almost immediately, there is a brief second or so where they complain, but then they grab and its party time. I don't understand how the tire seems to do better given it's spec, its just what I have experienced. I do have the new "plus" versions on, bought right before the clutch scenario.

EDIT: Salami is right, they were indeed PS4S

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yes I am referring to straight line hook. I'm usually halfway up 2nd or a little into 3rd when I get on it. The Pilot's ( I did have Pilot Sport's but don't remember if As4 or not.) would just spin and I would have to lift a little, wait for the grip, then go. This would allow would-be challengers to get a little ahead but the Pilots once hooked, held, and I would reel them in. The Pilots do wear fast, but not as fast as the Indy 500's that were on previously. I tried the DWS06 based off recommendation of others here. The biggest difference though is now my GTi is IS38 swapped and re-tuned to OS. With more power top- end I was thinking the DWS06 would just spin like the Pilots. They hook almost immediately, there is a brief second or so where they complain, but then they grab and its party time. I don't understand how the tire seems to do better given it's spec, its just what I have experienced. I do have the new "plus" versions on, bought right before the clutch scenario.

EDIT: Salami is right, they were indeed PS4S
The is38 also has later spool, which means not quite so torquey down low where tires are more likely to spin. Tune also matters a lot there.

Tires are a funny thing... Typically grip and hook are not interchangeable because one typically means lateral G and the other longitudinal. Tire pressure, alignment, tire width, and a few other factors play a role in how the tire's contact patch forms and provides traction. Wider isn't always better, and aggressive tires need aggressive alignments.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
The is38 also has later spool, which means not quite so torquey down low where tires are more likely to spin. Tune also matters a lot there.

Tires are a funny thing... Typically grip and hook are not interchangeable because one typically means lateral G and the other longitudinal. Tire pressure, alignment, tire width, and a few other factors play a role in how the tire's contact patch forms and provides traction. Wider isn't always better, and aggressive tires need aggressive alignments.
Very true. I am going Saturday if the shop can fit me in to get coilovers raised a bit, because I am rubbing the taller sidewall tires in the rear, and to get alignment adjusted as well. Hopefully these tweaks will bring back the even wear on the front tires and I wont have to worry so much about clearance. Kinda worried going up an inch is going to make the car look weird. Worst case scenario, get Golf R side skirts to regain some of that low look and just live with getting blasted about wheel gap. I am pretty low though so I think I can afford a inch and still be low enough to look good. We will see I guess.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Someone asked about identifying GESI cats a while back, this is a emissions complaint “S wound” core

IMG_3745.jpeg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Very true. I am going Saturday if the shop can fit me in to get coilovers raised a bit, because I am rubbing the taller sidewall tires in the rear, and to get alignment adjusted as well. Hopefully these tweaks will bring back the even wear on the front tires and I wont have to worry so much about clearance. Kinda worried going up an inch is going to make the car look weird. Worst case scenario, get Golf R side skirts to regain some of that low look and just live with getting blasted about wheel gap. I am pretty low though so I think I can afford a inch and still be low enough to look good. We will see I guess.
for my next set of tires, I considered 245/255, but don't want to raise my coilovers up at all and because the "square" shape of tires differ from tire to tire (DWS have nice curve so no rubbing at all)....I'll pick the tire that fits my height

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
for my next set of tires, I considered 245/255, but don't want to raise my coilovers up at all and because the "square" shape of tires differ from tire to tire (DWS have nice curve so no rubbing at all)....I'll pick the tire that fits my height
check what clearance you have right now, I have 245/40/18 PS4S on 18x8.5et42, and they barely rub on the front on hard dips. Still haven't installed the EuroSport puck as I am debating getting the 034 Camster plate instead. On your 18x9, thinking they are the et45, the tire should fit 3mm further in than mine. Going from 8.5 to 9" just adds around 6mm to both sides so the tire should be in the same spot, just the rim will poke a little more. I had the old DW6 and they are rounder than the PS4S, so I doubt you will have any rubbing.

1710427005854.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
check what clearance you have right now, I have 245/40/18 PS4S on 18x8.5et42, and they barely rub on the front on hard dips. Still haven't installed the EuroSport puck as I am debating getting the 034 Camster plate instead. On your 18x9, thinking they are the et45, the tire should fit 3mm further in than mine. Going from 8.5 to 9" just adds around 6mm to both sides so the tire should be in the same spot, just the rim will poke a little more. I had the old DW6 and they are rounder than the PS4S, so I doubt you will have any rubbing.

View attachment 300838
you sir, are a scholar and gentleman........thanks for that research......looks like 245 is my next size!

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Battery died this morning. Got in the car today, electronics power on but engine doesn't start 😒 in the past couple days it had taken a moment longer to start, so I knew something was up. Assumed battery but didn't see any other indicators and I thought I had time.

Now I have a nice expensive h6-agm and a 10" extension I didn't need till today.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

View attachment 300838
I am on that site all the time myself.