GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR springs ruined my stock shocks... what to choose from here?

ctrldel

Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2017
@SouthFL_Mk7.5 has VWR springs but I forget what shocks so he might be the one to ask for more info on how to make them work.
Would you recommend any specific coilovers?

I'm looking for smoother ride less bouncy but I track the car like 2x a year and I'm not competitive with it just out to have fun don't care about times.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Would you recommend any specific coilovers?

I'm looking for smoother ride less bouncy but I track the car like 2x a year and I'm not competitive with it just out to have fun don't care about times.

Bilstein coilovers would probably be the best budget option for that scenario. People who have problems with them riding rough might be running them too low, so keep that in mind if you're looking at reviews etc.

ctrldel

Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2017
Bilstein coilovers would probably be the best budget option for that scenario. People who have problems with them riding rough might be running them too low, so keep that in mind if you're looking at reviews etc.
Thanks for the advice. If you have any resources for correctly tuning the coilovers let me know

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Ok, one more update. For posterity or anyone in my situation in the future (VWR kit).

I trimmed the bump stops more!!!! Yes, I have gone nuts.

After reading @DerHase metrics and re-reading this thread and others, and still feeling like my rear suspension was overly harsh, I decided to match the Eibach instructions.

Eibach says to cut 15mm off the bottom foam for the front, and 32mm off the bottom foam for the rear, plus remove the white plastic ring.

This meant removing the plastic ring and an additional 6mm in the rear, and an additional 10mm in the front.

Rear Before:
IMG_5084.jpeg

Rear After:
IMG_5085.jpeg

I also drilled a few 1/4" holes in the first rung to maybe make it a bit more progressive? NO idea if that did anything but there you go.

IMG_5086.jpeg

Fronts were a little trickier with the spring in the way, but I took the 10mm off the bottom, and added the 034 spring coil padding @tigeo recommended (thanks!)

IMG_5089.jpeg

IMG_5090.jpeg

IMG_5091.jpeg

The spring coil pads eliminated the screeching I was getting on heavy compression!

But beyond that... the additional bump stop trimming made the biggest difference yet. I've had a chance to fully test it / drive it, and I am finally happy enough with it where it feels like what I would expect! And the ride is really quite good!

I haven't felt any downsides. So... science aside, my .02 is if you have the VWR springs and VWR shocks... trim the bump stops per the Eibach instructions and get rid of that white plastic ring!

Car is still sitting flat and at the same ride height.

IMG_5097.jpeg

**My first disclaimer is I haven't loaded the car up with stuff or people... just me solo or my two kids (2 + 5 yrs) in car seats. But for us, it's feeling great!**

**My second disclaimer is I make no claims about tracking or racing or cornering or performance stuff. This is purely for daily driver comfort**