GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR springs ruined my stock shocks... what to choose from here?

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Like the title says, my stock shocks are not performing after 30k / 6 yrs on VWR springs. We are in pothole season in MN, and it's miserable.

Originally I just wanted to replace the shocks and keep the springs (because I like the amount of drop from them), but saw some negative reviews of the VWR springs paired with various aftermarket lowering shocks like B8's etc. Issues with bounciness, hitting the bump stops, overly firm, etc. Seems like there is no great combo for them.

Which led me to VWR's own shocks... good price and *should* work together nicely. The one thing holding me back is VWR says to expect a 15mm - 25mm drop with their shocks and springs together. I messaged them and they said it would be rare to expect more than 25mm. Which seems like less than I'm at now with the worn stock ones. I'd prefer a *little* more low.

And getting aftermarket shocks plus a different set of springs would put me in the ballpark of entry level coilovers, so long story short, that's what I'm considering now.

I am new to coilovers, and don't want to slam my car or anything. I never track or race it, and I don't need extreme performance. I really just want a drop similar to an aggressive lowering spring, and a comfortable ride for daily driving.

ST X, Bilstein B14 PSS, and BC Racing BR series are the ones I've been comparing so far and they are all priced around the same at the moment ~$1200. Can anyone with more experience give a recommendation or thoughts as far as which one might suit my needs, overall value vs. a cup kit, ride quality for a daily driver? It's so hard to know without trying if I should prefer specs like monotube or dual, if I want the adjustable damping of the BC's or if it's not needed, etc.

FWIW I am in Minnesota with harsh winters, and they do salt the roads, and I drive my car year round. I've seen corrosion come up on non-stainless entry level coils, but will they really rust out? ST X is galvanized, the B14's have "surface coating using Triple-C-Technology®for long-lasting corrosion resistance", and the BC Racing are treated and powder coated. Should I really be worried about them?

Thanks for any insight or suggestions!

🍻

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Like the title says, my stock shocks are not performing after 30k / 6 yrs on VWR springs. We are in pothole season in MN, and it's miserable.

Originally I just wanted to replace the shocks and keep the springs (because I like the amount of drop from them), but saw some negative reviews of the VWR springs paired with various aftermarket lowering shocks like B8's etc. Issues with bounciness, hitting the bump stops, overly firm, etc. Seems like there is no great combo for them.

Which led me to VWR's own shocks... good price and *should* work together nicely. The one thing holding me back is VWR says to expect a 15mm - 25mm drop with their shocks and springs together. I messaged them and they said it would be rare to expect more than 25mm. Which seems like less than I'm at now with the worn stock ones. I'd prefer a *little* more low.

And getting aftermarket shocks plus a different set of springs would put me in the ballpark of entry level coilovers, so long story short, that's what I'm considering now.

I am new to coilovers, and don't want to slam my car or anything. I never track or race it, and I don't need extreme performance. I really just want a drop similar to an aggressive lowering spring, and a comfortable ride for daily driving.

ST X, Bilstein B14 PSS, and BC Racing BR series are the ones I've been comparing so far and they are all priced around the same at the moment ~$1200. Can anyone with more experience give a recommendation or thoughts as far as which one might suit my needs, overall value vs. a cup kit, ride quality for a daily driver? It's so hard to know without trying if I should prefer specs like monotube or dual, if I want the adjustable damping of the BC's or if it's not needed, etc.

FWIW I am in Minnesota with harsh winters, and they do salt the roads, and I drive my car year round. I've seen corrosion come up on non-stainless entry level coils, but will they really rust out? ST X is galvanized, the B14's have "surface coating using Triple-C-Technology®for long-lasting corrosion resistance", and the BC Racing are treated and powder coated. Should I really be worried about them?

Thanks for any insight or suggestions!

🍻
I think the corrosion part is overblown - unless you are constantly adjusting up/down, it shouldn't make a lick of difference once you've set your height.

That said, most of those will eventually rust, unless they're stainless. Coatings wear away through use. Damping adjustability is nice - but once again, I had the XTAs and I rarely, if ever, used it. The good thing is that you get to choose that point of adjustability yourself, and then set and forget.

The STs I had rode relatively nicely, and the addition of camber plates was useful to avoid rubbing (and add extra camber!).

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I have used Bilstien b8 struts paired with DG springs, VWR springs paired with OEM struts, Bilstien PSS B12? the non adjustable stuff, and also the B16 - the highly adjustable set up. In all cases - with heavy daily driving none of it will last - they will all rust like the above poster mentioned. And they'll do it faster than OEM because they're just not built to the same standards. You have to do this knowing that every few years you're going to rebuild or replace entirely if you want to maintain a comfortable ride and the same performance benefits.

Think about KW also; they make good stuff. But again, nothing will hold up to dailying after a few years in winter. Even blasting with Fluid film all through the winter they will corrode and seals will break etc.

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
DA53FA18-9355-4D85-B86C-B1EC5A5C1EF7.jpeg

VWR Springs and Damper set here for about 25k miles. Been wonderful thus far. Great for daily, track days and autocross. Firm yet comfortable. Better ride than stock. Doesn’t sit too low either.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I think the corrosion part is overblown - unless you are constantly adjusting up/down, it shouldn't make a lick of difference once you've set your height.

That said, most of those will eventually rust, unless they're stainless. Coatings wear away through use. Damping adjustability is nice - but once again, I had the XTAs and I rarely, if ever, used it. The good thing is that you get to choose that point of adjustability yourself, and then set and forget.

The STs I had rode relatively nicely, and the addition of camber plates was useful to avoid rubbing (and add extra camber!).

Yeah, I would be in the set-it-and-forget it camp. As long as the ride quality is decent I don't need the adjustable damping.

The ST X say they come with "polyamide" (composite) perch rings to prevent corrosion or sticking between the perch and the body. Obviously you know if that is effective or not since you have them. But again, like you said, I wouldn't be planning on changing the ride height once dialed in.

With the corrosion thing I'm more concerned about overall rust on the strut bodies or mechanical failure. How long did you run your ST's?

I have used Bilstien b8 struts paired with DG springs, VWR springs paired with OEM struts, Bilstien PSS B12? the non adjustable stuff, and also the B14 - the highly adjustable set up. In all cases - with heavy daily driving none of it will last - they will all rust like the above poster mentioned. And they'll do it faster than OEM because they're just not built to the same standards. You have to do this knowing that every few years you're going to rebuild or replace entirely if you want to maintain a comfortable ride and the same performance benefits.

Think about KW also; they make good stuff. But again, nothing will hold up to dailying after a few years in winter. Even blasting with Fluid film all through the winter they will corrode and seals will break etc.

Hmmm. That is a bit of a bummer. Will KW not hold up even though they are stainless? I didn't really want to spend that much but would maybe consider if it the others would really only last a few seasons.

FWIW I just chatted with ST and explained I'm in MN with 5-6 months of harsh winter and road salts and they said:

"The Galvanized shock body would be just fine if you are able to do the preventative maintenance on a routine basis. There is a lubricant by the name of T-9 Boeshield that will help prevent the corrosion." They recommended wiping down the dampers and applying the T-9 every 3-5 months. I know they're probably biased to sell their product. But another person in this thread (3rd post) said they've used ST's for 5 seasons in Ottawa without corrosion.

Idk, re-buying or rebuilding my suspension every two years is not what I want.

@manu97 @clownish seeing as you guys are in Ohio and Illinois what are you running then and have you had to replace it often from corrosion?

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
View attachment 279501

VWR Springs and Damper set here for about 25k miles. Been wonderful thus far. Great for daily, track days and autocross. Firm yet comfortable. Better ride than stock. Doesn’t sit too low either.

Thanks. I think that combo is still on the table for me. It would definitely be the most cost effective since I already have the springs.

I couldn't get confident information on the ride height from Racingline — if you have time do you mind measuring ground-to-fender on yours in the front and rear? I would love a real world example to compare to my current VWR + stock shocks and make sure it's similar.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Thanks. I think that combo is still on the table for me. It would definitely be the most cost effective since I already have the springs.

I couldn't get confident information on the ride height from Racingline — if you have time do you mind measuring ground-to-fender on yours in the front and rear? I would love a real world example to compare to my current VWR + stock shocks and make sure it's similar.
753BB19C-1F69-4080-B2FD-5B3F9692EE83.jpeg

940F066B-189D-42E6-B351-EA0BAD810BF6.jpeg

Don’t have a measuring tape on me now but will provide measurements when I get home tonight. For now, pics.

Attachments

• 940F066B-189D-42E6-B351-EA0BAD810BF6.jpeg
    940F066B-189D-42E6-B351-EA0BAD810BF6.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 61

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Yeah, I would be in the set-it-and-forget it camp. As long as the ride quality is decent I don't need the adjustable damping.

The ST X say they come with "polyamide" (composite) perch rings to prevent corrosion or sticking between the perch and the body. Obviously you know if that is effective or not since you have them. But again, like you said, I wouldn't be planning on changing the ride height once dialed in.

With the corrosion thing I'm more concerned about overall rust on the strut bodies or mechanical failure. How long did you run your ST's?

Hmmm. That is a bit of a bummer. Will KW not hold up even though they are stainless? I didn't really want to spend that much but would maybe consider if it the others would really only last a few seasons.

FWIW I just chatted with ST and explained I'm in MN with 5-6 months of harsh winter and road salts and they said:

"The Galvanized shock body would be just fine if you are able to do the preventative maintenance on a routine basis. There is a lubricant by the name of T-9 Boeshield that will help prevent the corrosion." They recommended wiping down the dampers and applying the T-9 every 3-5 months. I know they're probably biased to sell their product. But another person in this thread (3rd post) said they've used ST's for 5 seasons in Ottawa without corrosion.

@manu97 @clownish seeing as you guys are in Ohio and Illinois what are you running then and have you had to replace it often from corrosion?
Ran em for about 1.5 years and they're still in great condition (two winters). Only reason I removed them was because I'm selling the car. Have to clean it up to see how well it actually held up corrosion wise, but it doesn't seem all that bad. If nobody wants them used, I'll just rebuy off FCPEuro resell them at a discount to the brand new stuff.

Might be a decent option to look at if you're really concerned about corrosion.

KW will definitely not corrode - I don't think SS can rust...(I could be wrong).

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs

From corrosion alone you won't need to replace more than every 5-10 years. Worse case - run the aftermarket, decide how you like it and save your OEM stuff. I have a full golf suspension in my basement at this point from replacing everything. Upper and lower control arms, struts, ball joints, end links, etc.

More like every 5 years depending on use you'll want to rebuild or replace IMO. Obviously depending on use.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
View attachment 279501

I have gone from lowering every car I ever owned to not lowering my GTI in the 7 years I owned it. This visually seems like a great trade-off of not too low and just the right amount of wheel gap. Def has an OEM+ vibe to it. My old ass digs it.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Here’s what mine look like after 2 Chicago winters of daily driving. YMMV but this doesn’t look bad at all to me.

Attachments

• 6D754B29-CE66-4390-BC87-5AED8EBF93CF.jpeg
    6D754B29-CE66-4390-BC87-5AED8EBF93CF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • D4BB1A28-C16B-4DC4-ADE7-51E8CF84CD88.jpeg
    D4BB1A28-C16B-4DC4-ADE7-51E8CF84CD88.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • D260F0A9-5D52-4538-8556-74F4C2FCF9E7.jpeg
    D260F0A9-5D52-4538-8556-74F4C2FCF9E7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 74F04B3A-386E-43DE-809D-82931D8F2A75.jpeg
    74F04B3A-386E-43DE-809D-82931D8F2A75.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I have gone from lowering every car I ever owned to not lowering my GTI in the 7 years I owned it. This visually seems like a great trade-off of not too low and just the right amount of wheel gap. Def has an OEM+ vibe to it. My old ass digs it.

It’s been one of the best matched sets I’ve tried on any car. Gone is the jitteryness of the oem setup. Glides over train tracks yet very responsive in handling.