GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Goodbye, and thanks for the years!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Back in July, I bought a 5-yr/50,000 mile "extended warranty" for my '16R. It was a new product by one of the major manufacturers, their best exclusionary version, for only $2800. I hope not to need it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Congrats on the CX-50, I tested one for my wife before we opted for a Tiguan, mainly based on space. I remember it drove very good, but I wasn't impressed with the back seat space.
Just curious, what were the issues with the GTI that warranted expensive repairs?
I went with a CX-5 over the 50.
Back in September the GTI experienced a series hard stumbling issues that felt like I was hitting expansion joints where there weren't any.
Eventually it had to be towed (took it to the dealer for this one) who replaced the plugs.
This seemed to have helped for a little while, but in a short while it returned.
I got a handle on that with a couple of rounds of fuel injector cleaner, but it added up to months of uncertainty on this issue.
Then the water pump went. Another tow.
Then the lower radiator hose went . Another tow.
Just the other week the coolant temperature sensor went right when I hoped my issues might be over for half a year, or a year.
The temperature soared, a big warning came on in the display, and - Another tow.
I really wanted to believe that would be the end of that, but as I said - my confidence was completely shaken.

R0dzilla7

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
The wife had a cx-5 for 10 years and it was a great vehicle. Cheap and easy to maintain, yet nimble and fun to drive. Only got rid of it for a 23 off-road 4Runner. Enjoy the Mazda which I think is the most bang for the buck in the automotive industry.

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I'm dying inside but understand the motive. This is why I have different vehicles based on what I am doing. In reality though, I have too much money in the GTI to part with it, that and the car is just too damn good. If we have the need to go on gravel roads or otherwise where the GTI can't, we just take my truck or the wife's car. I' will be back to driving the GTI more once it returns from the oil leak fix, which was a combination of me failing to see the road imperfection, and the state failing to keep roads decent.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'm dying inside but understand the motive. This is why I have different vehicles based on what I am doing. In reality though, I have too much money in the GTI to part with it, that and the car is just too damn good. If we have the need to go on gravel roads or otherwise where the GTI can't, we just take my truck or the wife's car. I' will be back to driving the GTI more once it returns from the oil leak fix, which was a combination of me failing to see the road imperfection, and the state failing to keep roads decent.
Yeah, it sucks that I had to do it.
You can view the car on the Schwartz Mazda of Shrewsbury NJ.
It's a thing of beauty.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
and you're gonna let me know if you ever sell that Taco......right? lol

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
and you're gonna let me know if you ever sell that Taco......right? lol
Of course ! Kind of eyeing the new Land Cruiser. Need a better way to transport and take our Dobermans with us and the new Land Cruiser seems to check a lot of boxes. Room, rear air vents in the cargo area where they will be, full time AWD with locking center and rear diffs, better gas mileage than the prev gen and better than my Taco. All of that means I am interested, now I just pray dealers dont ask 10k over MSRP. Worst case scenario I order one for MSRP. We'll see I guess. Might keep the Taco and trade wifey's car for the LC. She is already a fan of those air vents all the way in the back.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Yeah, it sucks that I had to do it.
You can view the car on the Schwartz Mazda of Shrewsbury NJ.
It's a thing of beauty.
oh DAMMIT.. WHY did I look?? It's reflex silver my color !!! Oh F me.. lol.

S trim.. does it have the performance pack?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
oh DAMMIT.. WHY did I look?? It's reflex silver my color !!! Oh F me.. lol.

S trim.. does it have the performance pack?
The only time I missed it was when I saw those pics.
It's like breaking up with a hot crazy girl, then seeing some pictures and you yearn for it but have to remember how nuts she was.
They posted the trim incorrectly.
It's an SE.
It doesn't have the Performance Pack though.
This is a very early 2015, and it was an add on back then that this car doesn't have.