GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram headlight turn signal flickering

NiicoDK

Hi

Does anyone know how to fix the flickering turn signal in this video?

The problem only occurs on the right headlight. The left one is working fine.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
How long have you had the lights? I've only seen good things with Osram replacing folks lights under warranty.

If you've had them for some time I would still reach out to Osram, see if they will sell you the LED driver alone.

BTE

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, I was just about to make this same post today. I have the exact problem. Passenger turn signal flicker. It will only happen with the engine running. Key on, engine off, it functions perfectly. No issue with the drivers side.

I have been reading into this and from what I gather, it could be a voltage issue (charging with the engine on vs battery voltage). And that it may be able to be coded out with OBDeleven.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Wow, I was just about to make this same post today. I have the exact problem. Passenger turn signal flicker. It will only happen with the engine running. Key on, engine off, it functions perfectly. No issue with the drivers side.

I have been reading into this and from what I gather, it could be a voltage issue (charging with the engine on vs battery voltage). And that it may be able to be coded out with OBDeleven.
The factory coding for both original headlights is the same. And the Osrams are plug and play... require no coding changes to to operate properly. If you have not already altered factory coding and only one light is presenting the issue then something is wrong with that light.

You might be able to make a coding change to resolve this issue (depends entirely on how Osram is using the input from whichever light channel is driving it) but that's a patch over an actual problem. No way I would start messing with the coding before getting info from Osram.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Is it possible you need to change the bulb type to LED in VCDS/OBD11, even though they are plug and play?
Nope. Remember these are legal in the EU. That would not be plug and play from a regulatory standpoint.

I can't imagine they would be legal if they required owners to buy diagnostic equipment and make changes to factory programming.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
Same thing is happening to the Osram's on my wife's sportwagen. It's done it once or twice. I haven't actually seen it occur, but she confirmed it looks similar.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Nope. Remember these are legal in the EU. That would not be plug and play from a regulatory standpoint.

I can't imagine they would be legal if they required owners to buy diagnostic equipment and make changes to factory programming.
Ah, understood - that makes total sense.

BTE

Passed Driver's Ed
The factory coding for both original headlights is the same. And the Osrams are plug and play... require no coding changes to to operate properly. If you have not already altered factory coding and only one light is presenting the issue then something is wrong with that light.

You might be able to make a coding change to resolve this issue (depends entirely on how Osram is using the input from whichever light channel is driving it) but that's a patch over an actual problem. No way I would start messing with the coding before getting info from Osram.
The only coding that has been altered is the fog lights come on with DRLs vis OBDEleven. But this was after I noticed the flickering.
As of today, I noticed the drivers side turn signal has started flickering like the passenger side. I thought I was on to something because it seemed like it was isolated to the passenger side. However, the problem still only exists if the engine is running. This makes me suspect it is a voltage level issue or a noise/interference issue. I would blame the headlights for being completely at fault if the flickering happened 100% of the time.
I reached out to Osram in the beginning of January, with no response. I'll reach out again if i don't hear something back by the end of the month.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The only coding that has been altered is the fog lights come on with DRLs vis OBDEleven. But this was after I noticed the flickering.
As of today, I noticed the drivers side turn signal has started flickering like the passenger side. I thought I was on to something because it seemed like it was isolated to the passenger side. However, the problem still only exists if the engine is running. This makes me suspect it is a voltage level issue or a noise/interference issue. I would blame the headlights for being completely at fault if the flickering happened 100% of the time.
I reached out to Osram in the beginning of January, with no response. I'll reach out again if i don't hear something back by the end of the month.
Gotcha... where did you connect the additional power source for each of the lights (I'm assuming yours also had this).

BTE

Passed Driver's Ed
I connected them to the positive battery terminal. I did pull the fuse on that wire to see if there was a change in the passenger turns signal. It didn’t change anything.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
A couple of guys had the same issue - mainly on MK7.5 - over here in Germany.

The solution for them was to change the coding of „Lasttyp 0“ and „Lasttyp1“ to „43 - allgemeine LED“.

Apparently PWM and LED don’t go along well. Since VW uses PWM for the turn signals Osram tried to „solve“ it internally, but under some circumstances like weather, battery charge, alternator condition it doesn’t work properly. On some cars the work around is active since 2021.

BTE

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m still new to coding on VWs here. I am assuming this change is simple to implement via OBDeleven? And can be reversed if unsuccessful? I have the OBDeleven, but have only messed with the pre-made apps. If this is a possible solution, I’d be willing to be the Guinea pig. My only trepidation being damaging the lights in the process.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I’m still new to coding on VWs here. I am assuming this change is simple to implement via OBDeleven? And can be reversed if unsuccessful? I have the OBDeleven, but have only messed with the pre-made apps. If this is a possible solution, I’d be willing to be the Guinea pig. My only trepidation being damaging the lights in the process.
Yes, just about all light settings can be changed using adaptations or long coding using obdeleven. Connect obdeleven, go into central electrics module, then adaptations, then look for the channels Zero815 mentioned above, and change the bulb type to allgemeine LED (should be first or second field field inside the channels).